2kg challenge

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote reeldeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2kg challenge
    Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 8:55am
reeldeal View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Got a phone call a while back from Toby Kemp asking if we should go for a fish. Little did I know what he had in mind. We spooled up a Avet SXJ 5.3 with 2kg and set out to target kingfish. We spent the afternoon trying to hook up, and when we finally did, what a buzz. I had the fish on for just over a hour before frustration set in. I lifted a little to much and lost the fish. But here is some footage of the battle. Will try again soon though.

www.madfin.co.nz Home of Avet reels New Zealand
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 11:19am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Braid or mono?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reeldeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 11:42am
reeldeal View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Mono
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 12:16pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice. 2kg is an art form! I've been trying for 3 years for a wahoo WR on 2kg.

What kind of rod are you using
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reeldeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 12:44pm
reeldeal View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Rod is a Seeker react bay 7'2 8-12lb 1pce
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 12:51pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Nice work Cam. Needs a lot of patience and a fair old dollop of luck  - good luck on your next attempt.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Merci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 4:38pm
Merci View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Love it! Now thats fishing! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 4:06pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good effort .
my 10 year old got a nz record on 2kg snapper . Took 1 and a half hours and to be honest we thought it was a king till we got colour . His reel that day was a shimano tranx 400 spooled with moimoi 2kg . The reel is really smooth and the line comes off with ease. He new his drag and where it was in the scheme of things
Must of been about 1.65 kg drag . Got tempting at times to do 1 more click on the drag , patients availed .
Rod was a custom from offshore rods 2-4 kg .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 9:56pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by the demon the demon wrote:

good effort .
my 10 year old got a nz record on 2kg snapper . Took 1 and a half hours and to be honest we thought it was a king till we got colour . His reel that day was a shimano tranx 400 spooled with moimoi 2kg . The reel is really smooth and the line comes off with ease. He new his drag and where it was in the scheme of things
Must of been about 1.65 kg drag . Got tempting at times to do 1 more click on the drag , patients availed .
Rod was a custom from offshore rods 2-4 kg .
Yeah that's awesome mate! Love seeing the kids learning how to be patient and play a fish in... Your boy did amazingly well to stick with it for that length of time! When we're fishing 2kg we would only be running around 0.7kg of drag as anything more "feels" like its going to give. On the rear occasion you get snag, it is always surprising though how much is still in reserve...

Back to the original post in this thread, any king on 2kg is impressive - and to get close after an hour was a great effort! One of our goals for the year ahead is to bag a king over a meter in length on 3kg line. This would be targetted on a livie, fish over sand. Just hope the bronzies keep their hands off us!!
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 5:06am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, I don't recall seeing this thread back then. What a great effort.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street