Sevengill Shark

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sevengill Shark
    Posted: 25 Oct 2005 at 10:31am
Naki View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone know much about these sharks. Hooked one on Monday in 30 metres of water off Waitara. About 5 foot long and seemed very docile. Behaved very much like a stingray when hooked, slow powerful runs and very heavy.

Scientific Name:     

Notorynchus cepidianus

Maximum Length: 

3 meters

Colour:

Grey or brown above with scattered black and white spots, creamy white underneath

Family:

Hexanchidae

Captive Diet:

Mullet, Kahawai

Unique Traits:

Blunt snout and small dorsal fin

Habitat:

Found around New Zealand most commonly in the North Island, also found in Australia, India, South Africa and Japan

One of New Zealand�s most common Shark, the Sevengill is at the top of the food chain, along with the White Shark and Orca.

With a wiggly, lethargic swimming style and a small dorsal fin that looks like it�s slipped down its back, the Sevengill gives the impression that it�s clumsy and docile. But nothing could be further from the truth, it can have explosive bursts of speed.

Its toothless smile belies a top jaw full of razor sharp pointed teeth, which are designed to pin its prey. The bottom jaw has rows of rectangular teeth, each with many serrations - a very efficient and effective sawing tool. Here at Kelly Tarlton�s we currently have 12 Sevengills cruising our waters. Come and check them out!

President of the "Pontoon Owners Club".
I started off with nothing and now I still have most of it left!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2005 at 8:56pm
craw View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Apparently they were responsible for some 'minor' attacks at Oreti Bch Invercargill a few years back it was either that or fur seals!!?? anyway it was in NZ Fishing News and typically there was no followup... 
"noodlers are a dyin' breed not a lot of people want to stick their hand up a hole and get bit by something" --Jerry 'Catfish' Rider
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishyrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2005 at 9:01pm
fishyrich View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have caught and released the odd one out off Raglan up to approximatly 40 - 50kg, but not seen or heard of any being caught for a long time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2005 at 10:49pm
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

have seen quite a few over the years.got them in deepish waters longlining.
cod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2005 at 11:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Naki, they are reasonably common I think. We have caught a couple of them of around 30 or 40 kg in the Manukau Harbour. They were pretty much like rays to catch and the 2 I have caught were both on mono traces. They both came from the shore side of the Manukau Harbour channels in reasonably shallow water between 5 and 10 metres from memory. Caught them on large baits while fishing for stingrays to give new fisherman a shot at a big fish.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lalandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2005 at 9:19am
lalandi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fairly common down here in Canterbury... They are often targeted off Birdlings flat, (beach just south of Banks Pen).  Slow, heavy and boring... Like a stingray on Vallium so I have been told. They are a semi prehistoric shark. Never caught one, but I have watched Tagit drag up a rare six gill shark from 450m. Very amusing!
So you're a feminist... How cute
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2005 at 10:02am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the reminder Teletuby! I really appreciated all the kind 'assistance' you offered as I hauled the bl---dy thing out of the depths hoping it was a monster Bluenose!! Anyway, what I remember most about that 6 gill is the bright emerald green eyes. Quite amazing, and almost worth all that effort to get a look at.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Edick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2005 at 9:57pm
Edick View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Caught a couple around 70kg in the Bass strait and eaten one. Not bad eating and very common in Victoria
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zacoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2007 at 6:46pm
Zacoman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Quite a few seven gillers have been caught off the new brighton peir over the years. There has been around 5 or more caught this season so far.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter da Squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2007 at 7:18pm
Peter da Squid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I miss lala's wit and humour!

never had the pleasure of tangling with one either, heard they swum in close along muriwai
Good for Nuthin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2007 at 10:26pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

People quite often target and catch them on the beaches around Kaikouria. I have never looked but in spots they are very common and are easily spotted cruising around in the surf.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bushkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2007 at 12:56pm
bushkid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have caught them for the aquarium and over the last winter have tagged about 20 in the manukau harbour. one of which was recaught last week off Patea nearly 300km in a straightish line.
we have hasd recently caught ones reguritate seal, turtle and other bits shark meat during transport to or introduction to the aquarium. alot of the ones we have cauth have had hooks from recreational fisherman in their mouths,this seems to be pretty common with school shark and bronze whalers as well. I truely believe that alot of the large snapper that get away are infact sharks,a decent sized schoolie does feel like snapper when hooked.