Best riding Hull

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 4:13pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I agree with your comment. I have lengthened my fi-glass Viscount to 6.5mtrs and added a Hardtop and 250 Yamaha. 100% perfect...... Frank Simpson designed a brilliant 6mtr boat.
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 7:04pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep also tend to agree with BP
Many a time in heavy chop heading home with other boats, bigger than ours, They sort of bounce thru, even trying to skip their way, and slowly drop behind.
 We just sit on the plane, and go thru, far more comfortable.

Would put Bonito on that list was well.
Still have to put things in perspective thu..and its not alloy/ glass.
Many boats are designed for river/ lake rather than salt water.. and perform far better...
Im noticing maybe a trend on more modern NZ boats going back to the steeper drop from the bow, rather than a needle point, long slop back for salt water hulls.
 Both on alloy and glass.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 8:17pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by southsignz southsignz wrote:

My Opinion is , Hull design of trailer boats gave away 30 years of hull design learning,  by the likes of  Hunt,  the Haines brothers, and  Sandy Sands, and Frank Simpson, in the 50's and 60's. and in the 70's Lionel Sands, Gerry Gerrand,  Keith Eade, and Wilfrid Hoelen. Find a restored Hainesv19 or an 18 ft Sea nymph Commander or even a a 14ft 6 steadecraft, go for a run in the chop alongside a slighty bigger Surtees, Ramco, Stabi, or senator.
In the glass boats you'll be able to drink a beer the guys in the tinnies will be tying the rods down.
Fact: You can't bend Ali like you can mould fiberglass.Tongue

Paul Bury in Australia is a current guy putting out hull designs that are as good as and better than any of the 'old' stuff.

but i dont think you can blame the designers too much - the market has been demanding hulls that have more volume and more stability at the determent of good/comfortable seakeeping 
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 9:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Despite my many years of fishing I've only ever owned two boats so I'm not really qualified to answer this but have been on all manner of boats. Too many to remember. A couple of stinkers in there in certain conditions to be fair but IMO the most impressive was a Marine Creations with 140hp on the back. Superb boats for a smaller hull. There have been a few of them owned by fellow Counties members and one in particular that must have done 200 Waikato river bar crossings and possibly as many over the Manukau bar (stop exaggerating smudge!) (I'm not). 

A mate also has an 8.5m Allenco that I've spent a fair bit of time aboard. Every time I've thought that it is pounding it's way through a bar crossing, a quick glance at the GPS speed shows we're going 30 knots reminds me that these are seriously good boats. Not a particularly deep V but Harvey will build it to your specs - just a little heavier Big smile. If I had the funds then that's what I would buy, no question.

Lazercraft also have a great reputation but the only time I've been on one the sea was dead smooth.

The boat I'd most like to spend time in is an AMF. A 'mate' has one but I'm quite happy not to fish with him hehe
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 9:23pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sea nymph hustler are a very good boat, been to mercs and back on one on rough day with six guys .. 3 of us were rock fisherman with heavy packs… motor was a 140 yamhi two stroke from memory.
Old man had a 14 ft 6 steadcraft for long time, terribly tender at rest and banged in chop, almost broke my windpipe on the silly wind screen that ran round top one day. My 490 stabi would leave it for dead and has also left other bigger Ali’s and glass boats  behind on a rough day in spite of those other boats having more horse power and weight. Reason is it is well balanced and sits well in water, unlike some of newer pontoon boats, including stabi, mine is a bit narrower. But hull can push through water easily without need for massive horse power.
It rides better than a 5.5 surtees in quartering sea even when the surtees has 50% more horse power, heavier boat with a deeper vee. Why is that? It’s balanced and better designed for such conditions. Flat day though the 5.5 surtees will leave us behind. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 9:32pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The worst riding boats I've been in, is the buccaneer in a swell scenario. I kept feeling them lean to one side after coming off the swell and taking far too long to right themselves again.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 9:50pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another thing you need to weigh up comparing boats is length. As we recently transferred to generously loaned trailer which believe held a 4.75 surtees.  I was pretty amazed to find my 490 stabi overhung the trailer by a meter until we moved the winch post forward. Hence my stabi  much longer waterline is all hull. yet being a pontoon boat it still fitted easily within mudguards, more clearance than old trailer, suspect surtees may actually be wider. Upside more fishing room, downside beamier shorter boat in rough.
I had an allicraft for a longtime , great gullwing hull brilliant little sea boat. But back to Smudges comment above, some builds are built to be robust. Unfortunately allicraft beautiful gullwing hull were built light 3mm and riveted, so after few years leaked like a siv. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 6:23am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I believe (rightly or wrongly) that hull shapes have changed to allow lower horsepower to drive them. This makes them cheaper to buy. It doesn't necessarily make them better in anything other than perfect conditions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:41am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I believe (rightly or wrongly) that hull shapes have changed to allow lower horsepower to drive them.

Talking general use hulls here.

The biggest change in hull design is removing the keel which is a result of how the hull is constructed, and going to wobble trailers , not keel rollers.

Planing hulls, not in chop, the amount power required is to do with the gross weight on the water.
Under normal reasonable conditions at plane only the back 1/2 (or less is) in contact with the water. Even thu a V  or a rounded hull over a flat or gull wing ,may have a greater surface area (friction) it is not greatly significant.. unless under powered and more than 1/2 hull in contact on the plane.

When hit chop, even if still on the plane, speed drops, more hull in the water, and bow often hitting the wave infront. This is where a 'pointy bow' tends to ride up and over, the more vertical angle bow goes thru (ish)
In saying that , both if min or under powered will not ride well at all and have to work the throttle...Well powered the 'pointy bow' still goes up, vertical goes thru , neither require working the throttle.

And if take modern  hulls.. the biggest issue is ppl buying a boat, on budget, then go for the bigger hull, lower end of the manufactures hp recommendation... and expect the same as a well powered at high end of the hp spec.
It is not about HP and WoT top speed, of faster cruise speed Its about hp and and how hull handles in in chop , over wakes, bars, offshore etc.

Personally I think much of our modern hull designs changed because of construction methods and design concepts coming in from the States .. more river/ lake boats.. with pointy bows tending to look the part..
Look the part means  more sales.. about marketing

Just realised this is an old thread.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 5:36pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The best riding hull is!!!!

A thing of mystery?!.

The truth is like many things in life it is horses for courses..

There is no perfect hull shape.
Or style of boat or length or construction material.
If there was there would only be one boat available for all.

It's purely about your needs.
What we have although confusing is a plethora of options.
And that's a good thing.

You can only make suspect comparisons on, and the lost of individual needs, the list is so long.

You need to look at your needs, again the list is so varied and so long for each owner.

So is there a best hull shape.

No.

But there are boats out there that will be great for your needs.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:35pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hehe as always Mattoo, a good summary!

Let's have it Steps, what is your favourite? Providing it is well powered of course - and that literally transforms a boat. I'd like to take a spin in a more suitably horsepowered up boat than my little Sea Boss for sure. I know of one with a 130h Honda and it goes well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:53pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

USS Kitty Hawk has just been sold for scrap

a superb riding hull - very comfortable and stable enough to land fighter-bomber aircraft on - literally

well powered with almost 300000hp 

can prolly be picked up for a good price...
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:16pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Theres a well known brand out there and my personnel belief it is popular because a tv celeb has it. I found the one I went on,stable at rest,wet punching in to a sw chop in the firth,well powered but be a better trip and more pace in(dare i say it)"steps commander.,heavier hull not being pushed around by wind/waves just well designed weight to length ratio.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:19pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

PCJ, don't beat around the bush. Who/what are you referring to?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

USS Kitty Hawk has just been sold for scrap
well powered with almost 300000hp 
can prolly be picked up for a good price...

So it's like got a thousand outboards on the back? That's just ridiculous
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:46pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Eay fix for what style hull is best would be to have a hull shape for your style of pleasure on any particular day ie one for floundering, one for water skiing, one for game fishing, one for harbour fishing, and one for extended trips away. 😀 if you get this past your financial advisor please tell us how.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 9:10pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

Eay fix for what style hull is best would be to have a hull shape for your style of pleasure on any particular day ie one for floundering, one for water skiing, one for game fishing, one for harbour fishing, and one for extended trips away. 😀 if you get this past your financial advisor please tell us how.

Yes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 9:22pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’m a tinny man, so I 7.0mtr AMF with a 250hp on the back would do me nicely
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:42am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

PCJ, don't beat around the bush. Who/what are you referring to?
watson and stabi. I just dont like the ride of the 1850,throws  water rather than ride over,noisey as heck.

OK this taken Haines Hunter site but ,totally agree with it.

A well-built composite (fibreglass) boat allows for a better hull shape and weight distribution to break through waves easier. This results in less lift and push from chop and waves leaving the boat more stable during the ride and less likely to slap. A fibreglass hull will always perform better in rough water conditions than an aluminium boat.

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 3:14pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mattoo s hits the nail on the head....espec in the summary
So is there a best hull shape.
No.
But there are boats out there that will be great for your needs.

Our hull was great over nighters and general fishing around the islands.. cabin size etc
Come to the west still works well .. bit longer hull heading into West coast SW swells.. would be nice.. and for trolling..cheaper.. and since not over nighting and taking grandchildren out.. bit more space...
Mostly more deck space less a cabin.
A 6m alloy or glass well powered still, along the lines of a 6mramco..sorta

Mattoos suming up pretty well is the above.. use and what seas, be it river lake east coast west coat and even how used..
But over all, sea boat, our use location my have changed, still go the older gullwing type hullsWink

Smudge:
Let's have it Steps, what is your favourite? Providing it is well powered of course - and that literally transforms a boat.

As above older gull wing and steep bow angle.

I'd like to take a spin in a more suitably horsepowered up boat than my little Sea Boss for sure. I know of one with a 130h Honda and it goes well..

Goes well?,

Its about gross boat weight, inducing the 100 odd kg ice you take, the another 100+kg fish heading home...you would be looking at around 150/175 hp (maybe) to perform well ...130/140 is ideal for ours.. think yours would be heavier than NBs (smudge knows who I mean and the boat) loaded and his has damn near same power/ hp as ours ..both with 150

Page  <1234>