Is bog/filler waterproof?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is bog/filler waterproof?
    Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 11:13am
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey guys, trying to tidy up and hide a bunch of shoddy welds in my tin boat, mainly inside the live bait tank.. Would I be able to use car bog stuff to fill all the holes, creases, undercut welds etc.. And then paint over the top.. Or would the bog break down and all fall out? My only other thought was fibreglass resin, but would be a bit of a b*stard working with it in the space I've got..

Thanks for any help!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 11:24am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bog  is hydroscopic  ie it absorbs moisture and breaks down if left exposed to humidity or water.

I dont know how much movement or twist a ally boat has, but would take that into consideration with whatever sealer u use....
I have and do use urethane a bit....thats the stuff used to glue windscreens into cars...keep in mind the windscreen on modern cars is a critical part of the intergial strength of the car.

Urethane sticks to most stuff, flexable and reasonably hard wearing...very strong.
Ideal to glue a sole onto a boot.... AND build up a worn heel...
Yep sticks to Ally/ stainless etc extremely well....as to corrosion effect on ally  ... I dont know.. google or that info.

Sellys used to have it in a tube, but that product has either been obsoleted , or more than likely re labelled as something else....been meaning to email them to find out.. before I run out of my bulk buy of tubes runs out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 11:46am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i had some marine filler i filled some holes in my last boat with. it said it was waterproof on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 1:30pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Generally not suited to below waterline usage.
However there are a couple of filler powders that are suitable.
Discuss this with the supplier when purchasing.
Also an epoxy Resin is more suitable for bonding to metal substrates.
CheersGeek
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 2:46pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cheers for the input guys! After staring at it today, I'm thinking the best option might be to silicone it all up to seal it, then put in a fake back wall, to hide most of the sh*t.. Otherwise I'm going to end up needing about 10mm thick layer of bog/resin.. And even then I doubt it'll look any good! Will try post up a pic to show what I'm dealing with..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gareth15765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 2:54pm
Gareth15765 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

just be careful with the silicone you use one will work sweet and the other apparently causes corrosion I just cant remember what one was what

I think they are "neutral cure " and "acetic cure "
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 3:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

If you use silicon it needs to be neutral cure. I don't think auto filler wouldn't be a good solution.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 5:15pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

epifill,made by epiglass,above and below water line.expensive though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 5:32pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That epoxy stuff  "nead it" think the brand is.. been arounsd along time.. very impressive when used in the right places...
I saw the other day a marine grade being advertised on trademe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 6:37pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hope this shows up.. Shows what I'm trying to fix/hide..

The bottom curves up, then there's a step back, and the rear panels join up into a groove.. With some "awesome" welding..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 6:40pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have used knead it before.. Great stuff for repairs in the bush, or race track.. But would need a heap of it to fill the gaps..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 6:58pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

need a product thats flexible so you can make a neat coving,but what to use on ali?
gutter seal maybe neutral ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 7:02pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

That epoxy stuff  "nead it" think the brand is.. been arounsd along time.. very impressive when used in the right places...
I saw the other day a marine grade being advertised on trademe
good stuff in leak situation.ie hull but does not like flexing,it cracks as i found out but did the emergency repair required.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 9:22am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

From the pic.. I would be using a thin bead of  clear urethane
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 1:00pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 1:01pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah, I went and got a bunch of stuff today, but now worried the products might kill the fish etc.. So think I'll just seal it all up with some silicone, and silicone in a fake back wall. Useless f*cken boat builders. I hope their shoddy work sinks them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote funandfunction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 1:32pm
funandfunction View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I presume whoever has made that tank has done a few small tacks on the inside of a joint before fully welding the outside..... so unless the tank is leaking, I'd do nothing.
I don't think the live baits staring at those welds will be worried.... they'll know they're not going on a picnic!
If the appearance of those tacks is driving you crazy and I'm right that they don't do anything.... what about grinding them off with a dye grinder and rotary bur??
There are two types of people in the world: those that divide people into two types and those that don't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 2:42pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Unfortunately it's not fully welded on the outside, so will definitely leak.. But yeah, it's the appearance more than anything that's doing my head in!

I think you might be right tho.. The fish won't care, and I could get creative and put some disco lights in there to cover the join and bottom overlap!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Quick silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 4:04pm
Quick silver View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

is it possible to just have it welded up?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 4:08pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

seeing how you did not make the tank,is it possible to take it out and tell who ever made it to finish the job?
Page  12>