Tairua

Page  <1 45678 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:16am
Vander View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mainly Snaps but would love to find some tarakihi / gurnard - tarakihi are defo my fav fish when fresh !!

Been trying out those Kabura rigs with some success but every time we've been out recently we've just been swarmed by baby snaps :/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 6:57am
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The plan was to head out mid afternoon, nail a few Terakihi and then come in close and berley up for some snaps after the tide at 7.30.

The Teras were hard to find - just as they have been all year but we ended up with a few.

However we started catch a few snaps in the Mid 30 to mid 40 range so wasn't all that bad.

Went quiet for a while then one of the rods screamed off and after a good old go this fella was on in the bin.

It was quickly followed by another that went 58cm - but looked like a baby in comparison.

Headed in with our limit and didn't have to use any berley. What a buzz.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 7:42am
Vander View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

wow ! nice one, those are some good looking fish !

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 9:17pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just got a heads up from a mate who is fishing in the same spot again tonight. He's picked up 12 nice fish- biggest 66cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 8:33am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Salty are you going to be up tairua way over Xmas?
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 7:02pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey there. Yup. Off and on from about the 27th through to the 20th. I'm not a great fan of congestion at the ramp so either don't go in the water til after 6pm or am just a spectator til the second week of January.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 9:03pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Salty some nice fish in the bin.Thumbs Up

A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 10:03pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Murray. I'm aiming at getting another shot in this Sunday hopefully.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 8:20am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You stay in tairua or pauanui? I’m heading over the 26th dec till 11th Jan, first time in a few years I’ve got that time off, if you sea a CC called silver fox come say hi.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JasonEdward62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 6:50pm
JasonEdward62 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm a bit worried.

Looks the the Knuckle-headed Aussie snapper might be invading...

Can't be a good thing...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 8:21pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by viscount viscount wrote:

You stay in tairua or pauanui? I’m heading over the 26th dec till 11th Jan, first time in a few years I’ve got that time off, if you sea a CC called silver fox come say hi.

Out of Pauanui. Be looking out for you. I'm in a blue Kingfisher 'Salty Dawg'.

Flick me a PM when you're about.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 7:19pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Despite a few reports of the fishing being hard and endless ques at ramp we took some tolerance pills and hit the water at 0700hrs today. Everyone had the same idea and there were already 30plus trailers at Billy Point by the time we rolled up.

I didn't have any great expectations as there was boat traffic everywhere and we hadn't had a great season on the Teras to date.

Well buggar me. Within half an hour there were some good size silver and blacks coming in and we then got onto some nice snaps.

The only down side was a little bit of damage to my 6500b when I tried to put some pressure on a shark that helped itself to my Sanmar. I'll have a crack at getting it repaired but won't be surprised if it doesn't end up as parts.

Looking like it's gonna be a great few months on the water both in close and our wide.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 9:13pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good effort Dave, I thought you'd been doing well on the teras over the last few months.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 9:51pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey mate. Haven't picked them up in the same numbers or size as previous years. It surprised me today given the water is a bit warmer than it normally is. I thought they may have disappeared a little earlier. Hopefully they stay around til the end of next month.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 9:56pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

re the 6500 .... Try Jeff Murray. If it is (worth) fixable the he's the man. In the Auckland phone book in Green bay / Titirangi. Raves about him elsewhere in the forums.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 7:43am
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by lizid lizid wrote:

re the 6500 .... Try Jeff Murray. If it is (worth) fixable the he's the man. In the Auckland phone book in Green bay / Titirangi. Raves about him elsewhere in the forums.

He's done some of mine previously. I did hear getting the parts for these now is getting harder. Cheers for the feedback.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 8:39am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Salty, nice bin of fish! finally shelved my old 6500 from Sabiki rod. Its a roughy only good for parts now, your welcome to it. Has the piece your after....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 9:12am
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Hi Salty, nice bin of fish! finally shelved my old 6500 from Sabiki rod. Its a roughy only good for parts now, your welcome to it. Has the piece your after....

That's awesome mate. Lock it in. I'll give you a yell when I get back to the tron.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 9:26am
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Skippies in 60m inside Aldies. And in good numbers too
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 7:27pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Skippy’s in 10m out of Whitianga today taking any lure. Not big but tasted yum.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Page  <1 45678 10>