Tairua

Page  <1 23456 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 7:41pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

2 x marlin weighed yesterday Dave.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 8:12pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sweet. May have a crack next weekend before I head up to Rangiputa for a week from 12 March. Are there many skippies about Rob?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 8:58pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Skippies have been scarce but a seiner and spotter plane were working the area between Slipper and the Aldies today. A 10kg albie came to the scales today (same boat landed a marlin yesterday.)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote #FLETCH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 7:11am
#FLETCH View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Found a small school of skippies at 45m, no takers, that plane and seiner was working the area as Rob said, struggled to get anything on little lures, came home with a few decent kahawai, sunburn and an empty beer chilly bin. Day off today, might whip out further past the aldies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 5:21pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

6hrs for not much return today. SW off the main beach and NW up towards Hot Water Beach. Tuna boat working the Castle to Shoe line all day along with a few other launches. That's me until late in the month. Can't wait to get back up to Rangiputa the week after next and have a crack at all it has to offer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Distraction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 8:57pm
Distraction View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, I'm looking to head to Tairua this weekend for a fish, and just wondering if the bar has settled from Cyclone Cook? The forecast looks good, but I've got a few hours of dragging the boat up there, so not really keen to do that just to watch the waves and come home again. Thanks for any help.
BTW - defintely a wuss when it comes to the white water... cheers :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 9:50pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Distraction-there is a 'live' bar camera here. 
https://www.waikatoregion.govt.nz/services/regional-services/navigation-safety/rules-and-safety/safe-bar-crossings

Hopefully you will get some local feedback, but ensure that you take all precautions also suggest you refer to the Coastguard website. I have searched Tairua Bar on you tube, Coastguard has a short vid there too. You cant be too careful. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Distraction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:22pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Jackel. I agree - can't be too careful. Yes, was hoping for some local opinion on its state before making the decision whether to spend a few hours dragging the boat up there. I'm very conservative on my bar crossing decisions.
I've been over the Tairua bar many times and have the utmost respect for it. I've seen enough close calls and the occasional capsize over the years to make me wary.

The Niwa cams are ok - it'd be great to have something like the Whakatane barcam though :).
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 10:53pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been hard work sitting on sideline for the last month so was great to head over the hill and get four hours on water today.
Managed to catch some nice fish. Pannies in 18 metres off the southern end of Pauanui beach - although I imagine they are on the bite all over the place at present.
Then finished off with Trevs, Kahawai and a couple of Kings in close.
Great to be back on the water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 6:07am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Dave good results there.Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Distraction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:04am
Bronze
Bronze

Nice one Salty69. We found the same. And a very pleasant day to be on the water too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 2:44pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shot out at low tide this morning, 4 km from the entrance and straight into the snapper. Nothing huge 32-35cm but a few larger models turned up as the tide started to run. 2 x limit bags and back home in under 2 hours. Water was a chilly 15.5 deg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:32pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Rob. I'm pretty sure you got a few Teras this time last year. No sign? I'm gonna have a crack on Sat morning if the weather plays ball.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 12:10pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Searched without any luck for a few Terakihi yesterday. Picked up a good feed of Snaps, couple of Blue Cod and carrots also, so wasn't a bad day.

At 15.4degrees the silver and blacks won't be far away, if they're not there already .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 6:02pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Took advantage of a break in the rubbish weather and shot out for a few hours this morning. Picked up a nice mix including a few Teras.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 6:25pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 6:52pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice catch. Interesting to see Trevs and Tarakihi in the same bag. Off Leigh,  I normally target Tarakihi in 50m+ and Trevs at under 15m .  What depth were you at please ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 7:13pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We were just on the edge of the foul in 29m. It's our go to Tera spot - wasn't expecting the Trevs, they were a bonus.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 7:24pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice mixed bag Salty! Yum raw TrevsWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 7:50pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Geoff. They don't quite compare to the horses you are catching but still looking forward to the first Tera fillets of the season.
Page  <1 23456 10>