Tairua

Page  <1234 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sea2Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 8:42pm
Sea2Sky View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice work Dave. The 'plagues' of Trevs is pretty exciting. More prized in our family than snaps as the kids seem to hoover sashimi! We were out Anzac weekend and got snaps on softies middle of the day inside slipper, a Trev and next day had some fun on rat kings throwing stick baits into the rocks around boat harbour... Biggest 74... Doh!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 9:05pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good on ya Jason. It's a great time of the year to be fishing out of Pauanui that's for sure. I'm planning on another couple of weekends this month and looking forward to Queens Birthday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 7:52pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

shot out and tried our luck on Saturday and Sunday, and what a difference a month makes. 

We spend Saturday between the Slipper and Shoe and had to work hard for three Snaps up to 38cm, and a few kahawai.  We did manage a score a nice Johnnie which gulped a wee Snap, and my mate 'Lil Dave' scored a legal Kingie. Not a horse by any stretch but considering he nailed it on a 2/0 flasher rig, not a bad effort.

On Sunday we shot up to just south of Hot Water Beach and tried drifting in 26m.  In three drifts we nailed 8 snaps up to 37cm.  Hard work and not huge fish, but two good days on the water with good mates and a lot of laughs.

Sad to see the razor gang have fronted and we lost a bit of gear to them, but I guess that means my little mates the Terakihi won't be to far away either.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 7:56pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

good to see you got a feed, can't beat JD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 9:17pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Baracoutta and the first terakihi of the season for us - winter has arrived!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 9:24pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Rob. How deep were the tera's.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 9:31pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

By-catch amongst the usual undersized snaps. 29m
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 9:36pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers mate. Good news.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Devon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 12:24pm
Devon View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Myself and BOP strayliner fished out of Tairua Saturday and Sunday with good success. Saturday was the maiden voyage for my new surtees and after hitting a sand bank in the estuary whilst trying to sort out the GPS settings we were off :D Started at the 32 with Craig landing two rats before I even had a chance to tie a jig on it looked promising, however a few more boats arrived and it went dead. I got a nice johnnie with a livie set on the bottom and then we decided to move in and look for some snapper.

Found some uncharted low lying foul in 50m I had never come across before. Awesome sign top to bottom in places, slow jigs deployed and around a dozen angry 40-60cm snapper obliged to come aboard as well as two more johnnies over the next couple of hours. Was all too easy until I threw my sea anchor over the side of the boat without tying it on which kind of stuffed us.. :D I got the fish of the day at approx 12ish lbs

Sunday another mate joined us and we headed off to the same reef, sign was there but fish didn't seem so active so we went in to slipper and had a strayline in amongst the rocks. A few mid 30's snapper couple of trevs which went down a treat that night and half a dozen or so kahawai I think we got there. Sun was starting to set but I had an inkling and had to go back to the previous mark for a quick drop. The next hour of fishing was pretty awesome. Bunch of good snapper best going to Craig of what we estimated to be bloody close to 20. Also played with some small kings on the light gear. Coutta are about alright, Craig lost 3 slow jigs in 3 drops which I thought was quite amusing!

Great weekend and definitely some of the best snapper fishing if not the best I've had out of Tairua for numbers and average size

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 2:19pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great results there Devon!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 9:10pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fine effort Devon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 2:57pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

shot out yesterday for a crack at a Tera or two.  The snapper nursery was in full swing and had to contend with countless sub 25 cm snapper and accept the five Terakihi we got as a by catch.  We also scored four Blue Cod in the 36-38cm range so that was a bit of a bonus.

I used Uncles rigs for the first time and they accounted for all but one of the fish we kept. I recommend them for anyone targeting Terakihi (or Blue Cod for that matter).  I'll certainly be scoring myself a few more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 6:39pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

true, we went to 30m mark and smashed it on the snaps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 6:16pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rubbish forecast so shot out this morning to see if we could nail any silver and black treasures before the weather turned to cr@p. After 3 hours of bouncing around like a cork and a mixture of kahawai, trevs, carrots, a few terakihi and one nice snap in the bin, enough was enough.

School holidays and a few kids keen to get into it so aiming for another crack next week once the weather settles.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 8:21pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Out today for a good feed of my silver and black friends. Got a nice Johnnie as well, and also a Goatfish, which I'd never seen before. All in all a good day, pity about the wind that got up this afternoon. Bring on Saturday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 9:37pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Dave, wheres the pic of the red mullet... or was it stunned mullet!LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 10:13pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 10:14pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Should have mentioned a visit from a small school of Orca. You can't pay for that stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 7:25pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great weather and a another great day on the water. Fish played ball so another bonus. I have to put another good word in for Uncles terakihi rigs. Every time they clean up and today was no exception. My mate couldn't buy a fish, even when I invited him to cuddle up next to me on my side of the boat. Changed him onto one of Uncles and in the little silver and black devils came.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 8:53am
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Large schools of kahawai feeding hard on krill just behind Shoe. Pink & white lures did the damage. Loaded up the live tank and headed to the pins. A few small kings on the jigs but nothing on the livies. Went home and ate the bait
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Page  <1234 10>