Tairua

Page  123 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tairua
    Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 6:42pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

shot out for a look from Tairua yesterday.  Beautiful day but pretty damn cold on the water.  Headed up passed Boat Harbour, and had a look at a good sized work up at the north end of Tairua beach on the way.  Towed a few lures and then drifted with softies and cut baits for nil return.  Carried on and dropped the pick on a bit of foul in 20 metres.  Pretty quiet until the razor gang made an appearance, which saw us up anchor and head for a mark in 23 metres between Slipper and the Shoe.  Picked up a couple of Snaps, a Porae and bingo wouldn't you know the Terakihi were back in closer.

Hard work but did pretty well all things considered.

Only real bummer were a couple of numpties who had no idea about etiquette when it comes to approaching or lining up at a boat ramp. But that's another story, and I guess it's wide spread around the place. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 12:32pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Headed straight out to our favourite Terakihi spot yesterday morning.  Fishing wasn't hard out but two hours, 12 fish up to 45cm.  Got cleaned up and back in the tron by 4.30.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 1:14pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sweet feed there Dave well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PukeFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:14am
PukeFisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mint mate nice Tera's
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:05pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers gents - no comparison with those primo Aldies snaps but only had a couple of hours and geez they taste good. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:12pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice feed there pal.Thumbs Up
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PukeFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:22pm
Gold
Gold

yeh terakihi are awesome eating a! must have a crack targeting them again =)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sea2Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:23pm
Sea2Sky View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice work Dave! Worth braving the cold.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:27pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

nice work, nothing like a feed of terrors! bust out the al brown tunnel bone terakhi recipe, its a winner
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 2:35pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had half a dozen trips out of Tairua in the last few months and always done pretty well on the Terakihi. Was out again yesterday and had a couple of unforgettable experiences.

Lost 4-5 fish to a shark that my mate described as 'rather large'. So when we did latch onto a Tera, the plan was to winch it up through the water column before it became destined for a plate other than mine.  So the next fish came flying to the surface, with a large grey and white shark right behind.  As the terakihi left the water so did the head and shoulders of the shark.

There was a large splash, a few choice words, followed by a change of pants.  I've seen enough sharks to know it wasn't a Mako, Bronzie or a Blue.  I've got my suspicions, but as I wasn't quick enough to get a photo, can only describe what I saw.
Anyway we moved a couple of times and finished up with a good feed of the target species, as well as a good sized carrot that was hanging around on the edge of the foul and a few kahawai - great to see the big work ups back between the Shoe and King Rock.

To finish the day we had a visit from a few Orca that were hanging around in the bay. 

I love going to sea, you never know what you are about to experience and you never stop learning. Man we are blessed in this country.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millbrooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 9:33pm
Millbrooke View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

White maybe?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 8:52pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think it probably was but as they say, 'if you don't weigh it, don't say it'.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 8:52pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think it probably was but as they say, 'if you don't weigh it, don't say it'.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 9:39pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hope it didn't scratch the side of your new tub.Big smile
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 9:55pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not even bro. Only scratched a dent in my 2/0 flasher rig stash. Come in Smelli, I need a few more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 6:02pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

after a summer of limited opportunity and an issue that left my motor in pieces on the workshop floor - we finally managed two days in a row off Pauanui/Tairua. Had intended to join the trawler just outside Slipper Island but ended up at the south end of the main beach.  Gotta say fishing is great this time of the year.  Friday we got our limit of Snaps in pretty quick time, nothing huge, just good pannies between 35-45cm.  We also caught trevs and kahawai for the smoker and to feed a few of the locals who couldn't get out. 
Saturday was the same, but this time the trevs were thicker than I have ever seen them before.  We estimated we threw back 40-50, some of them up to 50cm.  We kept four which joined the snaps and a few kahawai in the bin.  Another highlight was a Mako suddenly clearing the water 20 metres from the boat - the young fella was reaching for his spare undies.

The bay was alive with fish and the water still over 20 degrees. Hopefully we'll get another month of this and I can get a little wider next time and score a few skippys for the bait freezer.  And lets face it it's only another month or so before the Terakihi show up in close again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 6:38pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good work Salty, looks like you have that place sussed out cheers for the report.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 7:55pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers Muzz.  It's a great part of the country and depending on the season, there's always something to target. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PukeFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 8:07pm
Gold
Gold

nice work healthy looking bin there =)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 9:05pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by salty69 salty69 wrote:

cheers Muzz.  It's a great part of the country and depending on the season, there's always something to target. 
I think I will head that way on my next outing but from Whangamata.

A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Page  123 10>