Automated Boat Launcher

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dalgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Automated Boat Launcher
    Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 11:33am
dalgo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This looks to be a good idea:

'A self-powered, remote controlled device for loading and unloading boats onto trailers, the ABL2500, made by Balex Marine in Tauranga, eliminates the need for manual winches, wet feet and, crucially, requires just one person to get a boat into and out of the water.'
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 11:50am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not bad,  more weight on the front of the trailer though so may need to have the axle adjusted.
Looks good and more info here;
Solves the problem with driving on/off at some ramps.

I've got a Surtees and with all these remotes available all I need is to be able to drive the car remotely

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twosix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 6:23pm
Twosix View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

heres the youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOpGd3OLDPM 

love the concept, wonder the cost though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 6:49pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

About $3500 according to the website. I can see it being useful for larger boats, fortunately I can launch solo (rollers trailer, gentle shove) and retrieve easily thanks to using a cam cleat to lock the painter, which hold the boat steady on the trailer. I can then stroll down to hook up the winch. Not my idea, from another FNet member...

http://www.go2marine.com/docs/2/0/9/0/209018F-p.jpg

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 9:32pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

very impressive,
typical great Kiwi ingenuity,

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 8:21am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Excellent!
I hope that goes well for them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 9:00am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great idea - watched video and seems to work well off a sheltered ramp - personally I find launching at a proper ramp with a jetty/pontoons is a doddle anyway - where I would want it and cannot imagine it working is launching at Little Huia on Manukau - a pitted, exposed ramp with tidal surges and a chop coming in sometimes. 
I have a retrieval device that works perfectly most of the time and is a lot cheaper - called a fishing buddy or buddies if rough.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 9:27am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

very impressive,
typical great Kiwi ingenuity,

Looks nice, but as MacSkipper says, how does it work on a ramp with no pontoons, a cross-wind and a bit of swell?  At Westhaven you can almost drop the trailer way back, settle the boat on top and wait for the tide to go out.

Plus I have no mates to help me.  Bitter?  Not me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 10:40am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is that not very similar in principle  to the innovation prize at the boat show  2 maybe 3 yrs ago....but was a hydrolic driven 'bag' type set-up rotating at the rear?
That was impressive to.. but when asked about the weight.. it was bulky, the rollers and pumps.. the question was avoided.
This one looks far more practical.
A couple 'motorised' wobbly rollers at the rear....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 1:04pm
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Is that not very similar in principle  to the innovation prize at the boat show  2 maybe 3 yrs ago....but was a hydrolic driven 'bag' type set-up rotating at the rear?
That was impressive to.. but when asked about the weight.. it was bulky, the rollers and pumps.. the question was avoided.
This one looks far more practical.
A couple 'motorised' wobbly rollers at the rear....

The article says they demo'd it at the boat show last year so may be the same one you arte thinking of, just refined a little.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote treedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 1:08pm
treedoc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ive seen this in operation here at Omokoroa. Although the ramp appears calm in the vid at full high tide, its in a channel and gets a bit of current on the incoming and outgoing.
And I have also seen the guy load his Rayglass cockpit up with water drums to add weight and the system handled it no probs.
He won the innovation prize at the Boatshow (last year I think) and has developed it further.
Would be great for older fellas or arthritis sufferers etc 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 2:15pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Didnt see it last (well this yr) sure was yr before.. one walked into the 'hall' about 2nd on the left from the main gates, entrance turned to the left and it was on the right.. this yr think that stand was diving stuff???

What ever.. price a bit steep for us, so in the mean time this works well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Space Invader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 2:19pm
Space Invader View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Whats wrong with using an electric winch on the trailer with a wireless remote?
OK, so someones got to get their feet wet hooking up the winch rope but in my opinion, if you, or one of your crew, isnt prepared to get your feet wet, you shouldn't be going out.
If your arthritis is that bad, you should think twice about taking a big boat out on your own anyway. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Space Invader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 2:41pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 4:16pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Catches such as the ones Surtees, White Pointer and know doubt others have are much simpler to use BUT only if you drive your boat on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 4:38pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

something else to go wrong or maintain... ok if you were using it in that sort of scenario and it meant the difference between fishing and not fishing due to medical reasons...
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 4:42pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, so someones got to get their feet wet hooking up the winch rope but in my opinion

Hmm dont get my feet wet at the ramp unless have stopped the truck a foot to close to the water... and a wooden ramp down the trailer stops wet feet.. and in case I do happen to step in the water, have stamped out a couple holes in the soles of my $5 warehouse canvas slip ons... maybe wet feet but no slip or slopping

Also those winches...been there done that.. old posts on the subject...those 'specs' are for the 1st layer of rope, each layer after that the 'rated' load drops about 1/3 or more.....Also to consider.. the speed at which they pull up... some of those winches are fine to drag a car up on a transport trailer after a car show....say 1 m per min, but at a busy ramp... nah thats not kosher...
Want an acceptable winch for around a 18 footer... start looking around the $800 mark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 4:57pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

..those 'specs' are for the 1st layer of rope, each layer after that the 'rated' load drops about 1/3 or more.....Also to consider.. the speed at which they pull up... some of those winches are fine to drag a car up on a transport trailer after a car show....say 1 m per min, but at a busy ramp... nah thats not kosher...
Want an acceptable winch for around a 18 footer... start looking around the $800 mark

Good point about winch steps - space invaders links seemed a bit to good (cheap) to be true... has anyone tried one?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wakatoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 5:29pm
wakatoa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good idea but anything that is submerged in seawater and has electrics, moving parts and vibration will sooner or later play up like a second hand lawnmower.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 41 1/2 below Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 7:24pm
41 1/2 below View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Didnt see it last (well this yr) sure was yr before.. one walked into the 'hall' about 2nd on the left from the main gates, entrance turned to the left and it was on the right.. this yr think that stand was diving stuff???

What ever.. price a bit steep for us, so in the mean time this works well.

Page  12>