Twizel canal fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gnicklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Twizel canal fishing
    Posted: 31 May 2015 at 9:12pm
gnicklin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have just spent a week or so fishing the Twizel Canals.  Fishing was pretty hard and not a lot of salmon were being caught though we did witness a 30.5lb brown hen landed and released on the Tekapo Canal.  We caught several silver salmon, a rainbow, a brown and a few spawning salmon on softbaits and had a great time in good weather and breath-taking scenery although the cold was hard for a North Islander to handle. 

I have an interest in our freshwater fish biology and have some questions as to the sustainability of this canal fishing.   My understanding was that the rainbow and brown trout were stocked occasionally and that the salmon were from escapees from the fish farms.  However, after discussions with what seemed to be knowledgeable anglers met on the canals, they say that the rainbow and brown fishery is not stocked and that these fish are spawning in the canals.  This is because there are so many smaller rainbows seen and caught.  Other anglers also say the salmon are also self-sustaining.  In particular in April-May at the Ohau control gates there are massive 20lb plus rainbows in spawning condition caught.  There are also many spawning salmon that the locals call “manky salmon” which are brown, blotchy and apparently inedible and are in physical decline.  However, these are still fairly hefty fish of at least 10lb of so and are not easy to land in the fast water if fishing too light (say less than 10lb trace).  One angler I met said that the large rainbows and salmon can pass upstream through the Ohau control gates and end up spawning in Lake Ohau’s tributary streams or the lake itself.   If this is occurring at the Ohau Canal control gates then maybe it also occurring on the Tekapo and Pukaki control gates too?  The implication being that the canal fish are able to spawn in those lakes too (Pukaki and Tekapo).  Maybe the rock flower inhibits this activity in these lakes?

I also have a question as to the type of salmon in these canals.  I understand the salmon farmed on the Tekapo and at Ruataniwha farms are chinook and the same fish as available in the self-sustaining fishery on the east coast rivers.  But I see a sign on the Ohau Canal fish farm that says “sockeye” salmon – does this mean that those manky salmon at the Ohau control gates are sockeyes?  Do chinook end up in this hump-backed brown spawning state?  These are questions that came to mind when fishing these canals.

I would love to see a dialogue about this fishery and comments on these sustainability aspects.  Are there any fisheries scientists that know what is going on here?  I look forward to seeing a discussion on this forum.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JezzaDun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 8:09am
JezzaDun View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Its very sustainable, although being hit hard since The Complete Angler guys pushed this fishery for their profits.

The trout make their way into the canals as fry and smolt through the gates from the lakes, and due to the perfect conditions presented they can get very large.

These trout are heavily targeted and very poorly treated by the public.

The salmon are either escapee, or are discarded during harvest and thrown into the canal. there have been rumors of disgruntled employees slashing nets also.

The Salmon are Chinook across the board I believe, but they may farm Sockeye in the top canals.

The salmon tent to attempt to spawn around the 3 year mark, so the silver fish are generally the younger ones this time of year, although the occasional fishing might push 4/5 years. I have heard of some salmon hitting 20lb+ and even heard of one going 44lb. (all rumors)

As a salmons form changes throughout spawning, the environment will play a big part in its appearance. there further a fish has to travel, the water clarity, silt levels, this all plays a part.

that's why these "Manky" salmon seem to look different to the pictures we see of Wild salmon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gnicklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 9:28pm
gnicklin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for those comments, very interesting reply.  So you think the fish cant move from the canals into the lakes?  One bloke I talked to was adamant that this does occur.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JezzaDun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 7:51am
JezzaDun View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Its possible for smaller fish to pass through, i don't know how the larger fish fare.

I have seen some large fish below the gates, but these lakes have always been famous for producing large trout.

you'll be surprised how little the artificial food source in the canals plays a part in the size of these fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chris Dore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 4:52pm
Chris Dore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by JezzaDun JezzaDun wrote:

you'll be surprised how little the artificial food source in the canals plays a part in the size of these fish.

True. These trout are likely to grow to these proportions even if all the farms were pulled out tomorrow. Very stable and a huge natural food supply.
Chris Dore
FFF Certified Casting Instructor
SCOTT Pro Staff
Fly Fishing and Casting Tuition, Queenstown
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gnicklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 5:45pm
gnicklin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have you any comment on the ability of trout/salmon to pass both ways through the three canal control gates?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 8:13pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I know that (small) fish can sometimes pass down through even power dam turbines. I caught a fish below the Roxburgh dam, and dropped in the head to fish and game. They take out an ear bone and can analyse trace minerals it to see where it's been. Some fish caught returning from the sea were spawned upstream of two power dams.

Of course no salmon can pass up through a power producing dam, but I wouldn't be suprised if a few did manage the trip into Ohau at least. Going up to Pukaki seems less likely, and Tekapo impossible.

Certain parts of the canals that fish well are also completely sealed off and must be stocked. Ohau C comes to mind.

I fished there a lot, and I think the main thing is that many people fishing there haven't really done much except fishing for spotties off a wharf. If I see someone handle a fish with  dry bare hands and return it I casually inform them that they may have killed it, and tell them why and usually I get a positive, regretful response. 

On the bright side, places like Twizel are great for the visibility of the sport. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 8:16pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And it's been great for the Twizel economy. The salmon resource is only limited by the willingness of the farms to keep stock in.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gee1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 3:17pm
gee1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi,
Just wondering how many others there are like me out there, I travel from chch to Twizel (about every 6 weeks or so) on my own to fish the canals (mainly ohau a & b). I enjoy going when i want to go, sometimes company would be good & sharing expenses - even better. Might some of you be interested in ride & accommodation sharing?
I have had mixed experiences with a variety of accommodation down there - it correlates directly to cost, cheap is definitely not the way to go in this town if you want to be comfortable. Twizel is not an attractive place, why is it so expensive - if Twizel doesnt watch out cheaper, better alternatives will be found & Twizel will be passed over.
cheers
G