BEWARE OF SCAMMERS

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BEWARE OF SCAMMERS
    Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 11:33pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

We've recently had a couple of new members advertise gear for sale and at least two forum members have paid for goods they never received. Those scammers appear to be the same guy so their accounts have been disabled and I understand the police are involved.

Beware of new members, especially if there are no pics or any deal that doesn't involve cash on pick up.

The scammers appeared very genuine  so please be careful!

[Edit Grunta: Be wary of buying stuff from first time posters or posters that are not regular members of this site. Scammers we know about are:
Kiwisteve & kiwisteve1211 - e: [email protected]
Sharkthrasher - e: [email protected].

By the looks of the e-mail address it's the same individual. The bank's fraud squad are after this guy and we look forward to the word that he's been nailed for fraud. If your seller doesn't deliver the goods get in touch with your bank immediately as they can track back from a bank account. Better still have someone pick up the goods on your behalf if it's not local and hand over the cash at the time. Importantly, as Smudge said, be careful.]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 7:08am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Crikey Smudge you got to be careful these days - there are some real scum around. I guess that the down side of this site being popular.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote BigMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 11:00am
BigMike View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If anyone wants an item viewed in Auckland I am happy to go and look at it for you and make sure it exists/look the dude in the eye/remind them I now know where they live.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 11:08am
Davefish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

that's a generous offer, good onya.Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seasider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 11:14am
Seasider View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by BigMike BigMike wrote:

If anyone wants an item viewed in Auckland I am happy to go and look at it for you and make sure it exists/look the dude in the eye/remind them I now know where they live.
Same goes for Whangarei guys 
Happy for Marine North to be drop off point as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 12:52pm
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Ditto if you looking at anything in hawkes bay too
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 1:50pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

what was the gear Smudge? wasn't any of the gear pinched from Marine Deals ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 2:22pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good to see guys looking out for each other. Would it help to maybe make pics compulsory??? Just a thought
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 2:30pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did these scams involve NZ bank transfers?  I've always been wary of either offshore accounts or paypal type transfers but thought an NZ bank transfer was relatively safe (or at least traceable by the Police).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote catch1t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 2:45pm
catch1t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

there is a way of making it harder for them, to advertise in our buy,sell,exchange they must have a minimum number of posts,, a few forums do this and I'm pretty sure its available to most systems like this.. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 3:12pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Did these scams involve NZ bank transfers?  I've always been wary of either offshore accounts or paypal type transfers but thought an NZ bank transfer was relatively safe (or at least traceable by the Police).

Paypal is actually very good - if you dont receive the goods your'e refunded.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 3:45pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe time has come to put full information on profile.fail to comply cannot use buy sell?still the old story buyer beware .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 3:48pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Getting scammed really bites. Happened to me on ebay buying a watch, thankfully they have good buyers protection insurance. Just annoying to go through procedures to resolve. Hopefully these scum get caught
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 4:46pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I don't want to say too much about what happened but the gear was unlikely to be stolen, in my opinion it didn't even exist. The sad thing is the 'seller' knew what he was 'selling' so was a fisherman. A fisherman it seems based in Oz. Yes I'm sure controls can be put in place and once Grunta is back in the hot seat I'm sure he will install a few controls.

BigMike, I like your style!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 4:47pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did you get stung for those two used Goats as well Smudge... geeze you live and learn huh Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

Did you get stung for those two used Goats as well Smudge... geeze you live and learn huh Wink
Yes I did! Your ad didn't say they had been usedBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:09pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Just added a bit to your post at the beginning Smudge. There's very little we can do in the way of specific controls but your bank's fraud squad will do their best track down anyone who is scamming like this. Best option is to collect the goods and hand over the cash at the same time or get someone to do it on your behalf if it's not a local seller. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaimaikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:37pm
kaimaikid View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I can offer to check goods for folk wanting stuff from Tauranga and hold them if needed

Maybe make a list of guys who can do this so hopefully we can cover the whole country
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 3:59pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm happy to do so along the Northern east coast  mangonui, taipa and kaitaia..
Boat are my specialty but all fishing gear.. also .
I have always thought there was honour and trust among fishnet fishos  ..
There will always be those that are too lazy to earn their own monies and find it easier to scam those who work hard for their bucks..  I spose its best beware of those with few postings and who have recently joined the site..  if it seems too good to be true it normally is... use your noggin and as mentioned, goods for cash is best served with those folk.. unless a regular on fishnet..

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 4:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by tas-tackle tas-tackle wrote:

I have always thought there was honour and trust among fishnet fishos  ..
There will always be those that are too lazy to earn their own monies and find it easier to scam those who work hard for their bucks..  I spose its best beware of those with few postings and who have recently joined the site..  if it seems too good to be true it normally is... use your noggin and as mentioned, goods for cash is best served with those folk.. unless a regular on fishnet..
Anyone can join after all, this guy did so simply to steal some money. The regulars aren't a problem.
Page  123>