Big angry fish

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big angry fish
    Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 2:28pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is currently being repeated on Ch3 at 1.30pm on Sundays. Next week is the "Fly Guy" episode, which is well worth a look.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote macrayfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 6:11pm
macrayfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nathan said he made his flies using rabbit fur and tinsel on standard jig heads.

I'd love to make some of my own - can anybody give me some pointers?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 6:20pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by macrayfish macrayfish wrote:

Nathan said he made his flies using rabbit fur and tinsel on standard jig heads.

Use a sinking line or sink tip and a clouser maybe?

I can't imagine casting a jig head using a "fly" rod. That... ...is like Ouch asking for trouble Confused 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 6:21pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by macrayfish macrayfish wrote:

Those were the jigs he made, can't remember what he called them -scootches or something.  Try googling bucktail jigs, which is what they are usually called.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 6:26pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think Nathan called them "Scoots" but I am unsure of the actual spelling used.....
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 6:34am
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

there used to be a utube video about making jigs from rabbit. its not there any more but basically it was using a jig head and adding a tail of rabbit strip then winding rabbit up the hook. (i have the video somewhere so will try and upload when i get the chance.)
I actually made some after watching the show. the best hooks are the mustard 3/0 1/4oz jigs as they have a wide gape and short hook length. 
the second one i made was feathers splayed for the tail then marabou about 3/4 way up the hook then bucktail or flash such as polar flash tied in at head.
you wouldn't use it on your fly rod but jigging it from a spin rod but you would have to have a specific rod with plenty of whip to get the distance.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 9:25am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by nymphOmaniac nymphOmaniac wrote:

you wouldn't use it on your fly rod but jigging it from a spin rod but you would have to have a specific rod with plenty of whip to get the distance.

+1. Fly fishing is not jigging. There is a group who have invented a thing called "fly jigging".LOL

NZ is a quirky place. I heard of a trout fisherman recently who uses the RIO Leviation 750 grain sink tip line for trout fishing a small stream, because it helped them "get down". Absurd, what rod would they possibly be using to cast this "marlin" line to trout?

Again, the clouser type of fly is all you need to get down a few meters. The variation in what depth you want to fish should be governed by the line you "match" to the rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote macrayfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 10:27am
Silver
Silver

I found the TV show - Series 4 episode 3.
Yeah, he calls them Skutes, and uses them on a light spinning rod and reel.
So that makes sense does't it.

The thrill is all about keeping the lure moving and getting it taken.
That appeals to me - sounds so much more fun than the standard soft baits.

I'm off to Rod and Reel to get some gear, and a lesson from Stephen.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy_Snappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 11:04am
Hairy_Snappa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm all ears for how easy they are to tie Macrayfish, been itching to do some of my own. But just don't have any idea where to start haha.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 11:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I messed around tieing a few using light weight soft bait hooks just after seeing the program 1st shown
I did very simply to how I tie my dropper flashers and flasher stray line rigs.

Hold the soft bait weight hook on the weight ribbed stem between the thumb and fore finger,
 take your feathers/ tinsle whatever and also hold them against the stem as u want them to sit.
Now do an old fashioen wipping.
made a loop in the trace line that goes down to the end of the hook end, back up with a generous tag end.. laid beside all the stuff above.
 Now wind the tag end down with firm turns ... firm , not tight as hell.....I do around 8 turns.
pass the tag end thru the loop  an pull the loop back thru by the main trace end.
Once pulled up reasonably tight, then give it a damn good jerk and u will feel it sort of snap finally tight.

I have tried other similar knotts but unless thew flasher stuff id pre wipped in like they do with fly lures, they tend to so of  bounce loose ... if  snapper like head shakes / nods type stress on the trace.

Sometimes they work sometimes not.. it just depends on the day, what the fish react to and dont react to... just a another tool in the tackle box

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote macrayfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 9:13pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Hairy_Snappa Hairy_Snappa wrote:

I'm all ears for how easy they are to tie Macrayfish, been itching to do some of my own. But just don't have any idea where to start haha.

Yeah I know the feeling mate. 

Anyway, I went into Rod & Reel today and bought a whole lotta gear, but unfortunately the Fly Tying Master was away on leave.

But I did find this on Utube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRs4VqIeAko

Thinking out loud here - if enough of us made it worth his while, it wouldn't be silly to see if Stephen would do a workshop for us when he's back would it?

Stick your hands up if you're keen.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 9:43am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was making these about ten years ago and did an article on them for Bayfisher. I very much doubt I was the first.

Amazing what people will claim to "invent". LOLLOLLOL
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:03am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't know how long they have been around, but I did discover that the US air force included bucktail jigs in their survival kit for pilots in the second world war so they must have been quite established by then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:23am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yes, I concur Clark.
I was making various versions way, way, way back in the dim & distant past, too.
This one, dated 2010, was just one pic I was able to find.
I prefer to call them jigflies & would think most all are based on the American Bucktail jigs that have been around forever.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 6:50pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yep!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 6:51pm
Titanium
Titanium

MacJig? Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:02pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Pole Dancer Pole Dancer wrote:

MacJig? Wink

in my private binLOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 8:29am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just a bucktail jig.  Been around since Adam was a boy. Anyone trying to claim they invented them, may as well also claim to be the inventor of the wheel, as that was invented around the same time.  

I remember in the late 70ies - early 80ies in Aus they were a big deal.  Tackle stores were crammed to the hilt with every style you could think of.   A weighted hook with some feather and fur tied to it to use as a lure would have been in use for several hundred years. 

Still good to see them getting a resurgence. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:07am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I thought fly fishing was all about light as line, like the next step down from light mono and of course sight and cast etc to your quarry.  Watching those big angry fish guys it seemed really obvious (at least to me) that it was pretty heavy braid...and no real sport at all.  sorry my ignorance but can anyone help me with this?  Just trying to get my head around it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:43am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think your confusing ultra-light game fishing with fly fishing Jake?   The guys are using jigs (with fur and feather) on spin rods, that's not fly fishing. 

In fly fishing we often go down to light tippet line, but that is generally due to stealth,  to fool our quarry.  I always fish as heavy a tippet as I can yet not so heavy it will spook the fish,  so I can land the fish quickly so that its not been exhausted to death before landed and released. 

Page  12>