Boat type

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cpt.Pugwash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat type
    Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 1:00pm
Cpt.Pugwash View Drop Down

Ahoy me hearties!.....hello,

Here's a scenario I'd like an answer to - I'm about to retire in Whitianga moving down there in a few months, so I'm not there at present.
I intend to take up some "serious" fishing as a hobby/food resource so i'll be out on the water on a regular basis, subject to weather etc....the type of fishing I envisage will be "inshore" drifting certainly not offshore stuff ( money and boat size determine this fact).....so my question is - what type of boat would be suitable for inshore coastal fishing one/two max people in the Coromandel region?

I'm after specifications that'll get the job done without over specing the job.

Cheers
Cpt. Pugwash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 3:27pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lucky bugger

My thoughts, I got a Surtees 5.8 hardtop.
Why, tough and simple I don't have to worry about chips in gel-coat etc
Hard top, wondered about but now I got one wouldn't be without it, both for summer and winter
Big enough to have three maybe four serious small enough to handle on my own or with an idiot.

Notice they now have a 575 which may be worthwhile looking at.

Do a bit of fishing out of Whiti mostly in a 6.1, wouldn't go to small not as much shelter down there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 3:31pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

X2 on the 5.8 surtees Game Fisher w 5mm hull. A v big small boat. Ive got the 5.5 hardtop and have put it through its paces. Its treated me v well but if i was buying new again the slightly wider heavier 5.8 w a 5mm hull would be my first pick. They are mean looking machines!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 4:53pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting question - are you the kind of person who wants to get out and fish so many times a week, or are you wanting to get out in good weather when it is not to rough etc?
Sounds like you intend fishing on your own at times?
What running costs fuel and maintenance are you prepared to pay and how much are you thinking of paying for boat - is your budget for new or used?
Are you launching from beaches in area occasionally or always from a proper ramp?
What is towing vehicle going to be?
If 1/2 people, not an SUV vehicle, fine weather sailor (what I am) I would get a 4-5 M pontoon - safe boats that will handle the wind getting up, can go 10/20km offshore in good conditions - plenty of threads about these in here?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 5:00pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

any idea of budget? 1k to 60k? 10ft parker craft to ???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 5:17pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

when i was down there after xmas i thought a small pontoon boat like a frewza or kiwikraft would be great. so many beach launching opportunities there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cpt.Pugwash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:57pm

hello Macskipper,

I'm a fine weather boatie so being "there" will give me the option of choosing the time, I'll be free to go out when the opportunity is favourable.
There'll be many times when I'll be out on my own.
Budget - 13k - 17k -max 20k.
Launching from both bach and ramp dependant upon ease.
Vehicle - Prado.

Where I go fishing at the mo is the Maharangi region 50 minutes north of Auckland, numerous launch sites, Sandspit, Maharangi east/west etc.... Kauwau Island plus many smaller ones litter the area, Leighis a known location. This region is ideal for 4/5 meter boats as many of the good fishing spots are in 10 - 20 -30 meters and only 1-5 km off the coast/beaches.
Its a reasonably sheltered area.

I am not a thrill seeker and don't envisage pushing my humble wayfaring limits, the first sign of changeable conditions will be acted upon.
Thanks for you input.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 3:20am
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like a 4-5 metre pontoon style would be suitable - should be able to get used less than 5 years old (ideally) 40-60hp, would be pushing it new for that money unless a basic rig without extras. If you find after a year or two you want something different you can change without breaking the bank...if going out on your own a lot you could consider smaller but big difference in sea you can go out in - I have a 3.6M mac (rated 0.5M waves) for harbour and 4.2M Mac (rated 2M waves) for going over bar - big difference in capability but 3.6M is so easy to launch and retrieve - can do 4.2M on my own but tricky if a lot of surge which is often where I go - bar rough last weekend so I shot out in 360 at dawn 5 mins from ramp 1 good trevally and 5 keeper snapper in 45 mins and back before wind up - you gotta love summer fishing...
Do you want centre console, open boat or a bit of cover with a canopy?...have a look here and some threads or post what you are thinking of and let others help - save a search on trade me and good luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cpt.Pugwash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 7:55am

MacSkipper, I've come across the - mac - boat manufacturer's name a few times and I've noted you've got a couple, is there any particular reason why you chose - mac - over an aluminium pontoon boat?

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 10:25pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just saw this. 

Advantages of poly over aluminium: No corrosion worries, floats, impact resistance, warmer to the touch, easy to fix/drill into.

Advantages of aluminium: Harder to scratch, lighter, more rigid, more choice of boats.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 5:09am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks OneWayTraffic - sorry Captn Pugwash I missed your reply,
Had an aluminium boat and found it noisy and cold in winter as well as some corrosion with dissimilar metals - liked Mac420 and after owning 6 yrs got a 360 as well, not for everyone but works for me.  I find you have to spend a bit of time optimising the motor setup/trim but once sorted great little boats.