Trailer tyre pressure

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer tyre pressure
    Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 9:48am
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just about to head off for roadtrip towing boat down to turangi and wondered about what pressure people usually ran their trailer tyres at?

Trailer is single axle with standard 5 stud trailer wheels (light truck) - R13 165s - has a 1850 stabi frontier with 115 4s yam on it.

It says on tyre wall max PSI 65 - which seems really high to me.

Normally I launch down at Narrowneck off the beach and have them around 32 - which admittedly looks a little flatish. 

For the road trip - what pressure?

Appreciate any views.
"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 9:52am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bear in mind that as the tires heat up this tends to raise the pressure in them.  I would think 32-35psi is probably about right for a long road trip - but others on here will probably be able to offer more technical advice. 
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 11:17am
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I "think" those truck tyres are supposed to be run pretty high, 50ish.. I am running normal car tyres, and run them at 38psi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 11:39am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Run my rig which is similar to yours at 40 psi,max pressure on tyres is 60 psi
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 1:25pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Barbary B Barbary B wrote:

Just about to head off for roadtrip towing boat down to turangi and wondered about what pressure people usually ran their trailer tyres at?

Trailer is single axle with standard 5 stud trailer wheels (light truck) - R13 165s - has a 1850 stabi frontier with 115 4s yam on it.

It says on tyre wall max PSI 65 - which seems really high to me.

Normally I launch down at Narrowneck off the beach and have them around 32 - which admittedly looks a little flatish. 

For the road trip - what pressure?

Appreciate any views.

i got the same tires and specs on my rig F14, weighs 690kgs. i think i settled on about 50psi, haven't checked it in a while though. tows well, has 1T springs i think can't remember. good tires!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 1:58pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

No doubt a bit of extra gear in the boat, extra weight etc...so yeah maybe up around 40 - 45. I've had them at 60 when really heavily loaded, ran fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 2:26pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

50 PSI !!!!

LT (Light Truck) construction tyres NEED more pressure.  As a rule 10 - 15 % less than max. The extra thick sidewall will degrade with to much flexing and you run the risk of a blowout. 

i can email you the technical information if you require just email me at [email protected].

PS i am a tyre technician. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 4:22pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

OK. Here is a bit more info from my post above.

At 50PSi the 163R13 8ply tyres can have a MAX capacity for twin axel of 2200kg.  compared to only 1600kg at 36PSI.  Put your rig across a weigh bridge (most friendly city dumps will let you weigh for free) to get a an accurate loaded weight.  Weights often surprise. 

The below data is for LT (Light Truck)tyres ONLY.  Normal car tyres should not be used to replace a LT tyre as a normal car tyre will not be designed to carry the weight. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 4:59pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks G Spot and everyone else - PM sent
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 5:08pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Incidently - approx towing weight of Stabicraft 1850 frontier + yam 110 4s is around 1200 kg.
 Plus fuel and stuff - would be another 2-300 kg.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 9:46pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My rig is similar, on the same tyres. As GSPOT says, I run at 50psi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mikap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 7:26pm
Mikap View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

After having a blow-out and complete meltdown of one tyre on a longish trip I did some research into tyre size type and the loaded weight, the conclusion was the LT 13"tyres fitted(in my case) are only good for a total weight of 1350kg@ rated pressure i.e. 65 PSI, the load rating goes down rather quickly if the pressure is lowered below the specified, then factor in age and wear etc.... swapped out to 14" was well worth the piece of mind and has the advantage of replacement 14" LT tyres being a fair bit cheaper than 13".
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 9:09pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got a blow out on my way from rags last week. Got a brand new tyre and the guy who sold it to me said tyre are too old after 7 years and mt blow out tyre was 10 years old - it just had a WOF so tread was good...food for thought.
I'm running my single axle 5.50 extreme on 45psi. Reading above I maybe should increase to 50.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 10:21am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have 8 ply rated R14 tyres, inflated with Nitrogen to 50 PSI cold.  I have never had any problems.  

I should note that most of my longer trips (e.g. Nelson to Picton) are winding roads, so a lot of the time I am well below 90 km/h.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mikap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 8:27pm
Mikap View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The blowout I had was also a 10yr old tyre which looked ok and the pressure(cold) was checked leaving Tauranga, luckily I was only doing about 30km/h thru Putararu, tyre was shredded in about 200m.
Weigh your rig allow for all gear then can check tyres are suitable. 
Filling with Nitrogen is a good idea as it is supposed to stay more stable
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rob Optimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 10:14pm
Rob Optimist View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am actually running a lot less in my tyres now as they ride so much better, probably no more than 30 psi.
A lot easier on the boat and trailer
               "attitude is everything"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 8:22am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes RO flatter tyre runs much smoother eg letting your 4x4 tyres down when going off road. But you pump them back up when you get on the road. I've had two blow outs in 6 months, both old tyres (10 years old but plenty of tread) and under 40 PSI. I'm not going to risk that again. Both tyres are new and sitting on 50 PSI so hoping for a few years of trouble free towing.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote martinbrown12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 9:21pm
martinbrown12 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

which Tyre are you using for trailer? i have GMC truck and also have a trailer, have to buy new tires for trailer which we use for roadside assistance nyc, kindly suggest me any good tires.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 8:04pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Check at your local tyre shop, as I don't know what size you are running but use the heavy duty tyres like they put on small trucks not car tyres that are cheaper to buy. As most guys have said the LT light truck tyres are rated to Max 65psi most guys including me are runniing around 50psi more is better.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.