Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics

Page  <1 23456 39>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2015 at 9:24pm
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Going back to the comments about big bones in New Caledonia. They are there, I have caught them up to 7kg, a friend who lives there reckons he has had them over 10kg/ 1 metre.Somewhere on this forum there is even a photo of me and wife with a big one. I will not post it again as the landmarks are a little too distinctive sorry. they are on the main land and the off shore islands, Google Ouvea island and you will wet your pants over potential.
 The problem with New Cali is access, the local Kanack folk can get real cranky and the local French can be very protective unless you pay guides of which there are few and only in limited places.
 Stick to Raro.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 8:05am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by 8wt 8wt wrote:

Awesome bunch of bone flies Nick, are you taing any Merkins as well? I just arrived back in NZ and recieved a heap of materials from Saltwaterflies.com so will tie hard over the next few weeks while in Golden bay looking for ray riders/ snaps. I've been studying Dan Brown's bonefish flies book and a few others as well as following what the Aussies on forums have been using so heaps to get on with. I'm also interested in what your going to take for GT's, Duck/ Chook on a hook seems a popular one with aussies and i'll tie up a few Crease flies. What have you got in mind??
 Got a bit longer to wait than you, September for me, but man I can't wait to get there.

Yeah Webby I'll work up crab patterns (which are fiddly and time consuming to put together) and i have a couple of brush fly prototypes coming in for me to copy for GT flies, plus the chook on a hook is a pretty basic tie so will turn mind to them later on. Also working up some NYAP poppers too. July is not that far off.... I'll post up after i return and hopefully can impart some findings that others can use.

You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 8:44am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Basic sparsely tied clousers with moderately heavy eyes can be very useful too. Especially reef outflows and around the edges of deeper coral bombies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 5:15pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for thinfo on New Cal Bushkid,

Ive had my feelers out for there,
and the intelligence gathered adds up to verify your findings.
Unfortunately very protective. was gonna do it DIY, but didn't like the idea of going somewhere were your not welcome,
Been to places like that on working contracts, and ya just ignore that stuff and concentrate on earning,

but a bit different if ya going to fish,

Pity, the average size of bones there is stuff ya dream off, and the flats, there huge.
be nice to go feral thereCool

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 8:23pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

10plb doesnt seem that big to me?, the one i caught was estimated 9lbs and there are definetly bigger out there if you can catch them in the cooks. At twice the size of what I have caught and I have seen them you must be up around the 17/18 plb mark.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 8:37pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FISHBYFLY FISHBYFLY wrote:

Thanks for thinfo on New Cal Bushkid,

Ive had my feelers out for there,
and the intelligence gathered adds up to verify your findings.
Unfortunately very protective. was gonna do it DIY, but didn't like the idea of going somewhere were your not welcome,
Been to places like that on working contracts, and ya just ignore that stuff and concentrate on earning,

but a bit different if ya going to fish,

Pity, the average size of bones there is stuff ya dream off, and the flats, there huge.
be nice to go feral thereCool

If you want some contacts send me a PM, Peter Morse has done quite a bit up there and landed some horses and knows some locals who might be able to help you out... or message him direct if you have his contacts!
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 5:41pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Clark.

Ill keep that in mind,
Wont be this year unfortunately,
But deffinetly some day,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 5:44pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FISHBYFLY FISHBYFLY wrote:

Cheers Clark.

Ill keep that in mind,
Wont be this year unfortunately,
But deffinetly some day,

I remember when I was working in Greenstone Fishing in Taupo a New Cal guy came in and we talked about bonefish. I got his contact details, he said he could hook me up. Later talking to Pete the guys name came up and apparently he is very influential in the fishery up there and quite helpful. I have lost his contacts but Pete will still have them. The photos I have seen of big Bones there have me salivating!!! Apparently wind is a real ***** though. 
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 9:29pm
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Interested to know if the access to the northern flats New Cali is still good, it changes so much hence why guide businesses come and go, the locals get cranky or jealous and tell everyone to shove off. Even with boat access you need to be careful of the locals in places in NC. My wife is from there and even her family are wary of some places.
That said there is some mean fishing there. I suspect it is due to westernisation of the nation ie less subsistence fishing occurring compared to many other small island nations. There is also some good GT/ Bluefin trev fishing right in Noumea Town, a good series of marine reserves and some pretty dam good food too.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 5:54pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What specifically are the problems occurring Bushkid?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 11:03am
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

FBF,
 as I understand it, there is basically political instability. NC is French governed but the native folk ( Kanack) have some kind of treaty with the French and there is a series of referendums being held to determine when, not if, the Kanacks will take governance of the country. During the late 80's this came to head with riots and shots fired leading to a bit of " white flight", things have settled down somewhat but there are some Kanacks that want governance now not after much delay caused by the series of ongoing referendums. France also wants to retain NC as a colony as it is extremely rich in Nickel reserves.
 So anyway there are some Kanacks that do not want to share their resources ( land or sea) with any white people. Little makes the news and certainly not international news but there have been some and seem to be increasing numbers of aggressive incidents with Kanacks insisting on people getting off what they see ( rightly or wrongly) as their land/ beach/ sea.
As Clark quoted Peter Morse as saying ( abridged) " find the land owner, ask permission, be polite etc. before entering or going fishing and you should be ok". This certainly works  (everywhere around the world) but often you cannot find the lands owner in remote islands/ areas. Also there are often multiple owners, some happy to provide access and others not, troubles occur when you bump into the unhappy one later whilst enjoying your day. Some times you can talk your way out of it, sometimes koha works other times fast feet work. Tourism is a large part of NC's economy so most incidences are keep very quite.
This is my take on the situation, others will have different views and I am only passing on what I know from  talking with people who have lived there for decades or their whole life. I am constantly trying to scope out potential bonefish spots over there and often being told " no, the Knacks will not allow you there". Parts of the Isle of Pines are examples, parts of Ouvea is another. Really Frustrating.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 8:36pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bugger,
Thanks for that,
suppose the good side is by Default the fishery being left untouched,
heres hopeing for a day when everythings a bit more less complicated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 4:23pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Now onto crab patterns for triggers & whatnot. Have found the Turneffe Crab to be a simple/fast/cheapish pattern

Have rattled out a couple dozen in decent time. Made some embellishments - eyes and claws.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 8:16pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Love it! Looks great Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 8wt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 6:11am
8wt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They look cool Nick, think I'll tie a few of those as well. Not made many inroads into tying yet for CI, was a bit too social at night in GB. Think we tied a total of 6 or 8 YEM patterns for the kings all up. :) So have bought heaps of gear back to the Philippines to fill in my nights.

I'm thinking the blue water stuff will be a good bet too after reading some of these stories
 http://swoffa.com/swoffa-life/swoffa-life-articles.html

2 weeks may not be enough time

Webby

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 6:12am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One of my buddies flew into  the Bahamas for 2 days on his way back to the ship so yesterday morning we went to flick a few flies around on one of the local flats that hold big numbers of bones.

We pulled the boat up to a beach by the side of the flat to rig up, 2 minutes later there is a big splash and we see about 6 tails sticking straight up only 3m off the stern!

Caught 7 in a couple of hours

Mrs Mozz with the first of the day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 6:15am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Awesome! Seriously good looking water there Mike Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 7:37am
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Wee Bones!
awesome terrain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 8wt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 12:14am
8wt View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Gotta love that water, great stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:00am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Saweeeet! 
Page  <1 23456 39>