Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics

Page  <1 3536373839>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 4:30pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Bloody hell !! Think I'll stay at home!
Fishing sounds great though. Obviously the fishery has benefited from having a rest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 7:18pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm sure that for the organised angler this is all surmountable stuff. Just very different to any travel I've done... well barring that time I almost got stuck in Cuba for not having a print out of my Canadian travel thingy, but then again it may have been some officials having a laugh at me... but yes, I think the fishery benefited a bit from less pressure. The thing I've noticed over time is that the fish size has got smaller as numbers increased. I did however see the largest 2 bones I've ever seen, both doubles and i swear one would have pushed 13-15lb. I was tying on a fly when we came eye to eye, and my first thought was 'small GT' until I saw it was a bone. 

Call out to Will, who happened to be facetiming one of his mates when we were picking up our mopeds. Good to see his smiling face.

We'll be back.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 6:04am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

haha cool m8 yeah just keeping an eye on you :) awesome to here about the bones especially on Samade, what a bonus. Bring on the bones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 7:22am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'll add a note here about the people and Covid. All of the locals have received their boosters, and under lockdown were able to receive the NZ Govt benefit. That short window of open travel back in Aug/Sep (from memory) '21 saw anglers arrive again, and the fishing was apparently insanely good. We fished with E2 for 6 days, one of those days casting popper's for GTs outside of the reef and trolling game gear between locations with some jigging thrown in (but since this is a fly forum I wont report that a wahoo and several skipjack were nailed). E2's family harvested parrotfish (speared) and sold their fillets along with crayfish in Raro. E2 mentioned that the weather precluded cray fishing quite a lot; they go and collect them from the outer reef by night which requires low seas and that didn't happen often. 
Noticeably, a few small food outlets had opened, as well as a 24/7 small supermarket which carries basics. Quite handy as Sunday trade is not a thing on church day. The attitude that 'life goes on' was evident. The Cooks Covidsafe app works well for scanning into shops and from what I saw, compliance rates were high. I'm still waiting for some photos which I can add later.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 7:24am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, bones can be like rat kings - the more fish there are the more often the smallest fish seems to get to the fly first.

I witnessed a big school of bones several years ago that had the small fish in the front and a few whoppers out the back. Very frustrating!

No doubt there are still plenty of big fish there. A friend of mine caught an easy all tackle World Record in the lagoon last year. A total monster.

I hooked a fish much larger than my 74cm best fish. Left me squealing on the sand So they are definitely there. Just have to find a way of seperating the babies from the big ones

A good problem to have Enjoy!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 8:58pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 10:33am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Brilliant mate!
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 10:50am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

love the last shot in the channel.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 6:52am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Looks like Aitutaki is getting a new port. This will be a very interesting and fishy place once it's finished and the surrounding environment settles down a bit. A deep wide channel will let a lot more water flow in and a lot more GTs etc. There will even be a short time when there won't be too much coral! Hopefully, sometime in the dim distant future I might get a chance to visit that lovely island again. I'm sure the new wharf facilities will make a damn fine casting platform.

Arutanga Harbour Project
Share on facebook
FACEBOOK

Share on google
GOOGLE+

Share on twitter
TWITTER

Share on linkedin
LINKEDIN
Having now released the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) report for public consultation on the Arutanga Harbour Project, the Cook Islands Investment Corporation (CIIC) is pleased to be able to move forward on this ambitious Aitutaki undertaking, with dredging work currently scheduled to begin next month.

Driven by CIIC, the Cook Islands Ports Authority (CIPA) and the Aitutaki Island Government, the central aim of the Arutanga Harbour Project is to improve the safety and usability of the harbour and port, allowing continuous flow of cargo to the island and safe passage for small ships, yachts and cruise ship tenders.

The shallow waters of the Arutanga harbour and channel entry, together with the limited land area available to safely and securely handle cargo, currently poses risks to lifeline services and port operations. Accordingly, the ultimate goal of the Arutanga Harbour Project is to improve the standard of the harbour to safeguard the wellbeing of the Aitutaki community.

The project will involve dredging the harbour channel to a depth of five metres and a width of 15 metres, stretching along the channel’s entire 980-metre length from the entry point to Aitutaki Port.

The three harbour basins will also be dredged to varying depths of 3-5 metres, so as to allow for the safe manoeuvring and berthing of barges and other vessels, and the port loading and storage areas will be extended and reorganised to meet international port standards.

Dredged material will be used to form causeways which will facilitate the removal of further material from the channel and inner basin areas.

These causeways will be removed once dredging of the channel and basins is complete and that material will then be used in land reclamation work around the port area and foreshore, for beach restoration, and also as fill for inland roads and other island government projects.

All dredging and reclamation work is expected to be completed within 12 months, allowing for expected delays caused by adverse weather during the cyclone season running from November to March. The current estimated cost of this work is $1.8 million.

Local knowledge, resourcing, ownership and leadership is a key component of delivering a government project successfully in the Pa Enua. For this reason, the Arutanga Harbour Project will be implemented by Aitutakians.

The project team’s heavy machinery operators are Vano Rima and Nga Teaukura, who are both highly skilled, experienced and Australia-certified in operating heavy machinery such as the 50-tonne Doosan excavator purchased for the project. This excavator and other purchased equipment will be transferred to Infrastructure Cook Islands upon completion, enabling significant cost savings on future projects in Rarotonga and throughout the Pa Enua.

The Harbour Project’s maintenance lead and relief operator is Lawton Story, who is a New Zealand-certified excavator and loader operator and qualified in automotive machining. Servicing and assessments will be carried out by Junior Manuela and Trevor Hemmingson, who between them have more than 50 years mechanical and servicing experience in New Zealand and Aitutaki.

Further local support will be engaged from the local private sector for various elements of the project. Leading the ground team is the newly appointed Works Liaison Michael Henry, supported by Project Engineer Ata Herman. Overall Project Manager is Romani Katoa, with oversight by Anne Taoro, CIIC’s Government Facility/Asset Development Manager.

“We are fortunate to have a project team comprised entirely of Aitutakians who are qualified and experienced to deliver this project,” said CIIC CEO Allan Jensen.

“Going on past experience there have been noticeable differences in the quality of project outcomes when delivered by the island, compared to those that are contracted from outside the community.

“The community expectations and pride can only be fully appreciated by the community themselves and this shows in the work they carry out.”

In addition to the excavator already mentioned, various heavy machinery items with customised attachments not already available via our local private sector have been purchased specifically for this project. By purchasing this machinery and equipment and refurbishing the island government’s existing machines, along with utilising local resources, work can be completed for a quarter the cost of contracting out.

The Arutanga Harbour Project has been in planning for close to 10 years, being a small part of the Orongo Development Masterplan which also features structural works at the port to improve resistance against the effects of sea level rise caused by climate change, as well as tourism-focused development of the port and marina.

Works completed to date include refurbishments to the port sheds, beautification and improvements to Orongo Park, and the construction of the fishing club and public toilet facility.

This masterplan was commissioned in 2014 by the CIPA and Aitutaki Island Council and is currently estimated to cost $18 million, with realisable economic development opportunities as a result.

Consultations regarding the plan have taken place over the years with stakeholders, relevant ministries, local businesses, traditional leaders and the community. Concerns that have been raised specific to the Harbour Project have been addressed in the EIA report and can be managed so that impacts are minor.

As work progresses, all relevant stakeholder groups mentioned above will continue to be kept informed of or involved in the project throughout its duration. CIIC is confident that we have retained the best personnel for the job while maintaining a high level of engagement form the island community and we now look forward to the successful completion of what is a landmark development project for the people of Aitutaki.

Hrbr Dev update. Digging with excavators is well underway, the causeway well underway. Excuse my home art...

The main channel widening and basin dredging is yet to start. Speaking with one of the contractors he mentioned that the stir up has improved fishing as lots of food is dislodged. From my angle I found that some of the quaintness of flats fishing is lost when machinery is clanking and roaring all day. Progress. A couple of the flats have definitely extended, presume as a result of sedimentation. In my opinion one of the more easily accessible flats has improved no end as a result. When the channel is complete I can imagine a far greater tidal flow so I pick the flats may more or less revert to previous condition. I didn't try it, but I'm picking the causeway could be a good spot for some nocturnal trevor action (Fish, not sending Speaker of the House for a swim :) ) - not sure if you're allowed on the causeway though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 3:15pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Cool Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to see how it alters the nearby fishing environments when it's all finished.

It could be good or bad, but they did need to do something about the port and its access channel.

As you say - there should be a whole lot more water moving through that area after its all completed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 6:17am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

7 days to go. Bring on the bones Big smile.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 6:25am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Travel safely Will & Si. Simon's fly box looks pretty mint Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 6:35am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

haha yes that fly box looks just the ticket. weather is starting to look ok 10 days out. Anything less than a hurricane is good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 6:32am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Lucky boy Fishing travel is starting to look real again. I might have to drag a bunch of covid refugees together soon and get up there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 6:38am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

C'mon Will, its been almost 18 hours since you got home - where's the report?????? LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 9:34am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

haha lol m8888888, what a trip, Ill be putting something together soon. Aitutaki rocks. we have so much footage we thought we would make a movie :). 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 12:54pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What a trip Simon and I had. Aitutaki showed us its best and its worst and let us know that it was in control along with the bones. We had beautiful weather all week 10 knots or less and winds from the east with a slight southerly some days. We spent 6 days out at one foot and 2 days back in town. 
The first five days we had really high water and the low tide was the old high tide. this made the bones very edgy, we saw lots and they were there but just wouldn't let us get close to play.
Simon caught his first bone on the first day from the kayak so was great to get that under his belt.

He spent the rest of the trip catching almost every species in the lagoon including a big truck mutha gt on his 8 weight rod that showed him very quickly who was in control but awesome fun to see that reel hit hyper drive as it towed him out towards the reef and down the one foot channel in the kayak.

On the 4th day out at one foot the tides dropped and when we finally saw the sand outside the accommodation for the first time we knew it was all on the next day and so it was the fish were alive again and we belted cast after cast but still no luck on the bones but we were getting closer.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 1:01pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

On the 6th day I got my first bone on the one foot sand spit as the tide came in and the bones rolled over. The wind was good, the current was running and the shots were long. My first hook up failed to catch but as the next school of big bones came through 100 meters to my right i saw 3 big explosions were the first were headed and the gts and trevs attacked the bones. I have never seen this before. The next school headed over the spit and using the clouser a miracle cast landed in the spot and 3 ran bones for it. I stripped faster and one whammed it. I I was chasing them they were chasing bait fish and the trevs were chasing them so it was full on murder out there. The First bone I brought it was in a predicament whether to hop on to the beach from the ensuing trevs, unfortunately they got it first and took the top of its tail off. i could have cried but it was what it was and it swam off half as slow as it swam in. 

The full moon meant we could still fish at midnight and spent many sessions blind casting into the channel and picked up lots of yellow snapper and the odd trev. 
When we left one foot we were a little down trodden but had one bone each and plenty of crazy experiences so we were content. the water continued to get better as we hit Samade and worked out very quickly the water levels and when the fish would tail. Simon and I were in heaven. My first fish on Samade was a ripper. perfect cast in between 2 tailers 3 feet apart one hit the fly, clouser again but didnt hook up but the second one smashed it and it was on. I landed this fish and was surprised at its condition and looks like possibly net damage. It was tuff bugger and lived to see another day.

The next day Butch took us out and we waded the resort flat and Mangere where Simon took his second and third in quick succession.
The third was a text book long shot well spotted by himself and a beautiful bone which just sealed the deal and made the trip all that more special.

On the last morning we had a few hours before we flew out and were out there at dark which was still quite bright due to the full moon and knew we had the tide for tails. My last hook up of the trip was bitter sweet as it was a tailing hog but at the end of the first run it dropped the hook and left me wondering when that big bone I am always chasing will finally appear. 
Aitutaki always performs for me whether its a lot or a little. I just love that place and cant wait to get back.

Beautiful sunsets at one foot

Last casts at samade

Rush hour at one foot

Stalking the back flats at one foot

View from our accomadation

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 1:22pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great write up mate. Those hours of perseverance make the success so much sweeter.  Thumbs Up Some ripper bones there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 6:11pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great report Will Sounds like you had a good time. That high water can be very difficult. I know of a few people who have had that at Aitutaki. I had the opposite on one trip with very low water all week.

The island is looking good and Simon did well
Page  <1 3536373839>