Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics

Page  <1234 39>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 8:29am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea as Craig said would really test your flyfishing skills to get a hookup from that lot.......................NOT!!!!

Some seriously big fish in that lot!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 6:32pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Nice vid! Does anyone recognise these bruisers? You wouldn't want to get your wadger out for any reason at this spot!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 6:33pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 6:36pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wish they were Tiger sharks!
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 6:51pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah there the pet ones at the south end,
They get fed at least three times a day by the tourist boats

you wanna see the one me and will saw on a flat Nearby, 200lbeasy!
It cameright up to will, must have expected lunch.

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 8:38pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep if they are 100 plb the one we saw was definetly 200 for sure, amazing what idiot would throw a fly at a 200 plb GT with a nine weight rd, being dreaming about that dinosaur ever since.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 8:51pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

Wish they were Tiger sharks!

LOL I'm with you on this one Kev, or maybe those giant testicle crunching Amazon pacu LOL 

In terms of fishing. I'll be happy with a 20lber on the flats thanks Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 5:38pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Same!

that's the one thingthat surprised me the most from visits to Aitutaki,
How there really hard to target in places were yoyve got any chance of landing,

Suppose that's the reason why the berley up method in Xmas island became what it is,
the clients expect easy success,
Supply and demand.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 11:12pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, a wild GT cruising the flats is a real challenge. The few I've had the chance to cast to were in the right spot for a cast so quickly that I either muffed the shots or failed to get the fly in front. Bonefish, by contrast, normally give you buckets more time... or don't even move. A cruising GT can be out of reach moments after you've spotted it.  

That's why they need to feed them until they're tame enough for easy shots at Xmas Island Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 11:52pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Interesting video for those going to the topics, interesting participitation from NZ?.
https://vimeo.com/120004542
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 8:26am
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good practices there, thanks for posting Wiil.

Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 3:38pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

https://vimeo.com/103243677

Teaser for anyone going to the tropics.

I,m off to Aitutaki next friday, weather looks marvelous

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/aitutaki_airport
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 4:19pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Will, it IS cyclone season...      good onya for being brave
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 4:37pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah LOL, they where meant to have 5 cyclones this year but none have come through yet, got to be in it to win it.
Not sure if those links work for you but dont for me, when you do links it makes you enter the address twice?.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 7:22pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, I couldn't get the link to work. Just looked at Metvuw ten day forecast for southpacific.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 8:20pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just fixed the links, enjoy the video if you havent seen it allready. Hopefully i get lucky all those bad weather systems seem to be sliding down before they get to aitutaki, I,ll take the hit here if can avoid it there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 6:05am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Ah ha, so you've got GT's on the mind.

Try the entrance to the harbour at about 3am! (use wire cable for fly line )
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 8:37am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well then, our CXI planning has led to an absolute 5hit storm of fly tying, so far my mate Coch and I ave tied ~400+ bonefish flies... super special [and probably completely redundant] materials have been sourced from all over the globe... videos watched, forums scoured, medical emergencies reviewed [strep infections and diphtheria anyone?], cyclone Pam damage checked [none at all], gear checked [I'm taking #6, #8, #10, #11, #12 and #14 rigs], leaders built... roll on goddam duck season I need a break from all this fussing!! LOL I expect that other bonefish/GT virgins were exactly the same prior to their trips. 
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 8:40am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

400 bonefish flies. You'll probably bring home three hundred and ninety six! Always good to have plenty of variety though Thumbs Up The tying frenzy and long awaited build up to any tropical trip is all part of the fun. I'm already getting myself sorted for October!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 8:42am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

well then, our CXI planning has led to an absolute 5hit storm of fly tying, so far my mate Coch and I ave tied ~400+ bonefish flies... super special [and probably completely redundant] materials have been sourced from all over the globe... videos watched, forums scoured, medical emergencies reviewed [strep infections and diphtheria anyone?], cyclone Pam damage checked [none at all], gear checked [I'm taking #6, #8, #10, #11, #12 and #14 rigs], leaders built... roll on goddam duck season I need a break from all this fussing!! LOL I expect that other bonefish/GT virgins were exactly the same prior to their trips. 

Have a blast Nick, I look forward to reading of your adventures.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Page  <1234 39>