Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics

Page  <1 3435363738 39>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 9:02pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was just thinking the same thing today, heard it on the radio yesterday. I have a bone to pick with those fish LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 6:00am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

These regular rests the island fishery gets seem to be good for it. The bones, by all accounts, seem to relax a bit and be well. Even in the heat of January I bet there'll be a few people racing up there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 8:46am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

After a couple of frustrating lockdown years am happy to lock in 2 trips. Aitu end of Jan to coincide with baitfish run (should it happen) and Weipa in July for a trip up Western Cape York on a mothership. Permit, blue bstrds, queenies, tuna, over 50 species to target on fly.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 9:45am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Bloody hell! Very envious. I'm struggling to get away as far as the local beach at the moment
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 3:23pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go You!

Itchy Itchy feet!!

Im deep in what i call the 'Pitcairn Island Blues" at mo,

Never mind airports, id be happy to be just be able to go to KatiKatiLOL
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 6:49pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah m8 feeling good for you, Now that is something to look forward too amazing trips, bring it on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 7:09pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Go hard Snuffler. I have nothing to contribute here but love reading about it.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 8:02pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That sounds rather pleasant, look forward to reading all about those trips!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 7:36pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FISHBYFLY FISHBYFLY wrote:

Go You!

Itchy Itchy feet!!

Im deep in what i call the 'Pitcairn Island Blues" at mo,

Never mind airports, id be happy to be just be able to go to KatiKatiLOL

Adam - you're alive!!!!!! Thought we'd lost a colourful forum member! Much happening on the snaps front for you?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 1:34pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My wife has suggested a trip to the Cook Islands in March. She was surprised at my insistence that we stay in Aitutaki until I gave her the spiel about bonefish LOL

Any particular accommodation or guides to recommend? 

A few mentions of Butch Leone from Blue Lagoon Flyfish in this thread so will check him out. 
There's also E2's way, has anyone tried them? 

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 2:07pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I haven't fished with Butch bit met him a few times (its a small place!) and he's an affable bloke. Fished 30+  days with E2, his brothers Rua and Tia and Ty a young family member. They are really good, great at poling large pangas around the reefs and flats and come with a lifetime of experience in the area. Got them booked for 10 days in just over a week and frankly can't wait. Plenty of accomm options depending on how flash your wife is, last time I took my family we stayed at Taumanu Beach Resort which has a couple of pools, paddleboards, kayaks etc. Its a bit away from the better DIY bonefish spots though, so hire a car or moped which wont break the bank. Boys DIY trips we rent a house and there are plenty of options there too. Only thing is that given the Cooks are the only NZ MIQ free destination, accomm is in short supply so give yourself plenty of lead time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:11pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

"in just over a week" you lucky man, give it heaps m8.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 11:54am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Intend to Will, but a lot can happen in just over a week, esp as this govt isn't given to sending early signals. Half expecting to be locked down prior given the rumour mill... and hell, don't have a real Plan B if NZ locks down while we're there other than take as much cash as we can muster... LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 8:36pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

haha dream lock down m8 take plenty of flys LOL. I,m booked in april 80 days so I think you got a better shot at this stage. Good luck safe travels and plenty of pics for us.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 3:32pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Might want to get that flight brought forward mate! 

Thanks heaps for the tips, hope your trip goes well and look forward to hearing about it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 2:52pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cooks cabinet meeting this afternoon to review the travel bubble - could be over already. Compounding the big storm that's battering the place at the moment. Sheesh...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 1:05pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 1:22pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes indeed. And thanks to Will for the updates too, been a slightly butt-twitchy week to be fair. Off to my pre departure PCR test in a min. There's much more red tape than ever before - log trip with Cooks Govt including vax status/dates/type, get individual QR code, log trip with NZ Govt inc return date/fights, RAT at Raro pre departure to Aitu, must have Cooks covid app with Bluetooth switched on.... prolly missed something here. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 3:40pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

Yes indeed. And thanks to Will for the updates too, been a slightly butt-twitchy week to be fair. Off to my pre departure PCR test in a min. There's much more red tape than ever before - log trip with Cooks Govt including vax status/dates/type, get individual QR code, log trip with NZ Govt inc return date/fights, RAT at Raro pre departure to Aitu, must have Cooks covid app with Bluetooth switched on.... prolly missed something here. 

We are in Rarotonga at the moment and everything went smoothly at the airport and here in Rarotonga, all the shops have hand sanitizer and a place to scan in .
Have been here around ten days now and have been battered.
Last couple of days have been typical Raro days and the weather is calming down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 10:40am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ok I'm back. Happy things to report - the bones are now everywhere and catchable in places where they were difficult in the past. (Think we caught at least 30 off Samade Flat in front of our house). But, no room for stuff ups, plenty of refusals and high speed exits after inspecting the fly. GTs around if you know where to look, caught a couple of rippers in complete blackness on crease flies, you can use your imagination to figure out how brown pants inducing a surface take 5m in front of you in utter darkness can be. LOL

Not so good things to report (hassles). If you are going, check every document, every test, make copies and copies of copies. No leeway is given, if you dont have it you dont travel. And that can mean either not getting there, or alternatively being stuck there. Once poor bugger at check in was refused travel as his predeparture PCR test was 30 minutes outside of the allowable 48 hour window. Devastating. Also, Air NZ attendants now have the responsibility to refuse travel, be it for missing docs, fever (yes they temp check you) and its no exaggeration when they tell you to arrive very early for check in. More later
Page  <1 3435363738 39>