Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics

Page  <1 3031323334 39>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 8:58am
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sorry Craig, I should have said that GT was at Aitutaki, not CXI.

Saw bugger all decent GTs at CXI, and didn't see many small ones either. Saw truckloads at Aitutaki, and no small ones at all. Couldn't get over the numbers actually. But the problem there was 99% were in and around the coral bommies. I got lucky with the one I landed as it was on the sand flats of Tekopua.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 9:20am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Wow! What time of year were you there? I have seen only about two or three big ones each trip when I have been there. And most of them there is not a hope in hell of getting a cast away to them. Either the GT fishing has suddenly got seriously good at Aitutaki or sometimes they maybe invade the lagoon en-masse? That's great fishing wherever you find it   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 9:35am
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Not sure Craig? Maybe it is the specific locations within Aitutaki where the GTs are? I didn't see many/any while wandering the Bonefish flats by myself. But I saw big numbers when being poled by Rua around the bommies, and even more when Itu and I walked the reef at the bottom of the island. 

Very unnerving climbing over and weaving through coral in knee to waist deep water, casting at GTs up to 80lb, with a flimsy bit of carbon fibre and an even more flimsy plastic fly line. And downright scary when you hook one of them. Try running after a 50lb GT in waist deep water, over and around sharp coral while said GT is pulling string on a locked up Hatch 11 Plus, and having a 9 foot lever to contend with as well.

Definitely not for the faint-hearted, and I don't say that lightly. I got away with a few coral cuts, a bruised knee, a newly textured fly line, and a bent out 6/0 after the perfection loop knot at the fly line end of the leader got jammed in a coral bommie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 9:51am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Ah yes, the famed reefs at the bottom end of the island. Tough country, you need a skilled boat man to get in there, and then much of the time they are wiped out by swell. I've never been there. Could have gone on some days when swell was low but always doing things as a group. You really do need rare weather to get in there.

I walked to the very southeast corner of the island from one-foot on an exceptional day with flat seas. I stood right on the edge of the reef and cast out across a very low surf. I hooked a big black GT fairly quickly and got ripped to shreds!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 10:04am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea I encountered the GTs at Aitutaki a couple of times.  Once I was wading with Butch and I spotted what I though was a couple of small reef sharks with the dorsal out the water.  When I got closer I realized it was a pack of GT's.

I tried throwing everything I had in the box at them, but id left the 12# back on the beach, and only had an 8# and bones flys.   I pulled them right past their noses, but they just flicked me the bird and shot off 

I had another similar experience on the flats a few days later. Would have been amazing to hook up, but what a handful!

Funny Will, but you look to nearly get the upper hand on that fish, in the first few seconds........ then it works out whats going on LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 10:07am
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yep, that's the place LOL! I imagine that would be a very rare opportunity to be able to cast a fly into the open ocean from the reef edge! I'm sure the hook up was very exciting, if not short-lived!

Can't wait to get back there.......

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 9:01am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Piscisfly yes i was lucky. I noticed the flats pro line is less stretchy and needs more drag on the reel when hooking up. I lost 2 big fish because of this. I will have more drag in the reel next time and also will start carrying my 12 weight as the encounters with gts out of the petting zone are getting more frequent..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 9:32am
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That's good to hear about the GT's showing up more Will. I want to focus more on them next trip, but away from the tackle destroying bommies if I can - but not at the petting zone LOL!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 5:56pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Fish Piscis!

Thats exactly what i meant,
i cant be arsed with chasing them in bommies, just not my thing,
But to get a shot while wading over sand, hell yeah.

like ya say, best chance is to commit to them,[pretty hard to ignore a big bone tho]
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 8:16pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

here is some footage of those 2 GT missiles attacking bones on the flat behind one foot. you will need to play it in 4k and full screen and keep replaying the video, you will be able to see the black missiles moving in from right to left before the hit. They chased this bone 400 yards before coralling it on the flats by the sand bank but the gopro only captured the last part as auto record just wasnt fast enough for those guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tlGzUVUgGE
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 8:52pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by WillP WillP wrote:

here is some footage of those 2 GT missiles attacking bones on the flat behind one foot. you will need to play it in 4k and full screen and keep replaying the video, you will be able to see the black missiles moving in from right to left before the hit. They chased this bone 400 yards before coralling it on the flats by the sand bank but the gopro only captured the last part as auto record just wasnt fast enough for those guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tlGzUVUgGE

Mate, I'm also not fast enough. That vid is literally 1 second long Confused. I replayed it about ten times and still only saw a gorgeous looking flat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 5:55am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yup that is about the total length of time you get to realise that a GT is in your vicinity. Time to cast or maybe switch rods to a 12wt doesn't exist. I know one sand flat spot in Aitutaki where I reckon you could sit on a step ladder and wait for a GT... if I had a step ladder in Aitutaki
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 5:15pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I got about 10sec to have a shot at a 80-100lber at CXI while throwing my 12wgt - what luck - if only I could cast accurately!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 6:55am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Casting accurately with a 12 weight is an underestimated skill. I now spend a lot of time pre-trip practicing with the big gun. I learned the hard way.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:35am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got in yesterday from 5 days on Aitutaki. "Family holiday" LOLso I had to toe the line a bit, still, got in 2 full days fishing (one guided) and a lazy arvo session. 

The SE wind, which didn't drop under 20 kts and blew white caps across the lagoon arrived just as we did, and didn't let up. Samade/Ooutu completely blown out so was very glad of the inflatable SUP we have stashed up there as I could access stuff on the western side of the island. VERY challenging casting in that wind. Began to overpower casts leading to fly smashing down in a way that was sure to induce terror in anything within 30 metres. When I eased off it all came together. Still spooked fish with poorly aimed casts (I blame the wind) but at least caught some.

9 bones landed, and an assortment of small trevs. Interestingly I found bones on one flat in very shallow (mid ankle deep) water where I'd never seen them before and wasn't armed with light enough (v small bead chain) flies a la CXI, so spooked quite a few. Also, decided to use a tippet ring this time and my only major fk up was a poorly tied uni knot which let go at the ring on a bone's second run. 

Will stick up some shots later. Got to work now Sleepy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:17pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Family holiday to Aitutaki sounds like a fishing scam to me

Looks like you made the most of your fishing time. Looking forward to the pics I like that 'town flat' side of the island. Plenty of good reef hopping there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 5:29pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 9:22pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great captures... if you were standing on the SUP when you got them I tried but figured I was going to go for a swim if I didn't get my feet back on the sand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 3:34pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nah I’m not that good Craig, we just use ‘The Crab’ for transportation. Handy platform for landing fish or taking shots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishinmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:15pm
Fishinmad1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got in from 7 days on the coral coast staying at the Shang-Ra-La pretty limited to where I could fish,
Most of the Island is a marine protected area. But I was able to fish on the far tip where a channel ran out.
Went out most mornings at about 6.30 and flicked around my 6Wt as it’s the only 4pce I have. Got smashed heaps by blue fin trevs managed to land a couple of small ones lost most of my flies to them.
But all’n’all had a ball, and would do it again if the opportunity arose.
Page  <1 3031323334 39>