Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics

Page  <1 2526272829 39>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 1:29pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha the perspective in that shot makes it look a like a 3cm fish
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 5:13pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very coolThumbs Up
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 6:14pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha the perspective in that shot makes it look a like a 3cm fish

😊😄 ha,,yes, looks like a tiny fish off the tip of Josh's fingers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 6:07am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome, looking forward to more!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 12:52pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

So am I!! But flats fishing is never easy. We had a great day the first day with fish all over the flat- schools of smallish permit mixed in with mullet and milkfish and fast moving groups of golden trevally. So we went back the next day full of anticipation, but the flat was dead! Only a few mullet to be seen. We think the water was too hot. It's a good example of how fickle flats fishing can be and how you've got to be very committed to put the time in to find the good fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 5:30pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cool. Well done. What country is the permit in?
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 12:04am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Mahe, Seychelles, not an easy place to flats fish in
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 12:59pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Back to the flat this morning. Two of us blanked completely yesterday despite lots of shots. Tailing golden trevally and schools of juvenile permit all over the place. Multiple shots but fishing is extremely difficult in shallow water over a thick seagrass bed. Very exciting though! Trying unweighted crab flies this morning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silvio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 10:16pm
Silvio View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just the place for a master
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:46am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

The fish here make me feel downright incompetent! Two permit this morning, one each and Josh also picked up a lovely golden trevally. That was a real prize. They are insanely difficult- charging all over the flat waving their tails in the air. But still very special fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 2:39pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Caught one of these yesterday - a rainbow runner - a very cool species I have always wanted to catch. Unfortunately I caught it accidentally on the troll while moving between fishing spots. How you would target them in their open ocean habitat from a stationary boat I'm not sure. This one ate one of my big kingie flies. Fought hard for a little fish too.

I've only ever heard of a couple ever being caught in New Zealand but certainly they're common enough in the Pacific.

I won't be targetting them anymore on this trip... there's a lot more new species to catch!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 1:12pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I managed to hook into this nice trevally off a sand island in a small to medium surf. The trevs were cruising the shore and making 'smash and grab' raids into extremely shallow water in the breaking surf in order to nail small dart that were hiding there. I got lucky and managed to drop the fly right in front of them just as they finished a 'raid'.

The trev in the picture is a brassy trevally (Caranx papuensis). This is quite a large specimen for the species. At this size they are often mistaken for GTs. The body is longer in a brassy and the snout slopes more. To be certain look for the white silvery spot at the top edge of the gill plate. Also the end of the maxilla (the top lip) will line up with the front of the pupil in a brassy while in a GT the end of the maxilla will line up with the back of the pupil. Once you get used to the two species the differences in body form make the two species easily seperable.

Brassies are quite common in Aitutaki and Raro, but they are not aways easy. They seem to cruise along in shallow water quite visibly, but do not necessarily eat when they are doing this. They are easiest when they are feeding or are presented with a quiet fly that they can't connect with the angler in any way.

The sand island in the Indian Ocean that this brassy came from had lots of other visible trevally cruising the shoreline, but all of them were very difficult to get to eat. Even getting a response to your fly was often hard. They can be very frustrating when they are like this,so catching a decent one on the nine weight is very satisfying.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silvio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 8:36pm
Silvio View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Very nice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 8:24pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just back from a week in Aitutaki with Will.  Videos and details to follow later but here is my first (and only) bone of the trip.  

What a magical place and what an infuriatingly frustrating fish to catch! There is a lot of irony in the pic below that will come to light later.  I will have to go back...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 8:43pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Damn fine bone!    Looks like you had tough conditions?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 8:53pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes, 20-25kts easterly the entire week limited where we could fish, but otherwise generally ok. Very little rain, at least until the last day before flying home. Could have been worse if we had lots of rain as well.

One thing for sure, I had lots of casting practice LOL which means we still saw plenty of fish. They are just not easy to catch. Probably the hardest fish I have ever tried to catch that can actually be caught consistently (apparently, some say Confused).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 8:54pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I just call it "Casting at shadows"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Silvio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 9:27pm
Silvio View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Very nice bone indeed. Yep, not the easiest place to chase em. Well done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 7:11am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Aitutaki bones can be tough, but I've seen them easy too. I've also seen them switch from tough to easy and then back to tough again in the space of a week. Moody fish . Bad weather doesn't help.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 7:38am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We had both just that. We caught our first bone right outside the accom on one foot 10 mins after arriving. Hit it on the head too recasting but it just wanted that fly.
Was a great trip though great to have the company of a seriously devoted saltwater fly flinger thx Johan, Many a funny moment and great memorys as we struggled in some of those big winds. So many close calls for big fish just keeps you wanting more.
Page  <1 2526272829 39>