Shelf life of vacuum packed fillets

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shelf life of vacuum packed fillets
    Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 11:04am
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Roughly how long you keep vacuum packed fish (unfrozen) before it goes off? Fish was filleted and vac sealed on day of capture.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 3:01pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If I fillet them and don't wash in fresh water 4 days in the fridge,try and wash tnem in the salt ice slurry then dry them off before vacuumed packing
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 4:38pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The old time way of keeping fillets fresher is to place an upturned smaller plate on top of a dinner plate and lay the fillets on top. That way all of the juices drain off underneath the smaller plate. Cover with glad wrap and it doubles the life - whatever that is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 9:50pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

never put water near fish fillets, it will hurry decay. fish use a really neat method of keeping water off their flesh, lts called skin.
vacuum sealed fresh dry fillets will last a week in my frige, as will clean dry fillets on a glass plate, no fish smell but any longer they dry out.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:16am
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fish shelf life is a product of three conditions

1.Storage temperature (this means from time of catch, placing straight into a slurry improves shelf life by at least 3 days) If your fridge is set like most normal ones at around 4c fish will last an absolute maximum 7 days (assuming the other two conditions are met) I set my fish fridge to 1c & easily get 10 days, the ideal temp is 0c, in one restaurant where our supply chain was difficult we would vac pac & store in ice in the fridge to achieve 0c, lasted an age.

2.Moisture, bacteria need moisture to grow, changing containers daily or storing on a rack so the fillets are not sitting in juice dramatically improves shelf life.

3. Level of contamination. Its inevitable that you will get some bacteria on your fillets when filleting but the cleaner everything is the longer it will last.

As for vacuum packing, this achieves two things
1. Prevents further contamination while in storage (Surprisingly important point)
2. Removes oxygen,this prevents SOME bacteria (aerobic) from growing but by no means ALL
Bottom line is that it is hard to quantify home much vacuum packing will improve shelf life, but it is in the order of 2-3 days.

I seldom vac pac for unless I am transporting fish in which case it allows me to pack it in a polly bin in ice or freezing when it is great as it prevents freezer burn.

A word of warning about vac packing, some machines (particularly commercial ones) allow you to set the level of vacuum. For fish you need to use close to the lowest setting as anything more tend to pull the juices from the delicate structure of the fish flesh resulting in a pool of juices in the back & fillets that are no where near as nice to eat.

Sorry about the essay, hope it helps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Choirs Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:20am
Choirs Reef View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Pico Pico wrote:

Roughly how long you keep vacuum packed fish (unfrozen) before it goes off?

Vacuum packaging does not significantly prolong the shelf life of unfrozen fish. Vacuum packaging does have a good effect on the eating quality of frozen fish, where it slows down oxidzation.

At 4 degrees Celsius (normal fridge temperature) expected shelf life is around 7-8 days.  

How the fish is handled prior to storage (i.e. on the boat) also plays a significant role.  Cool the fish on ice/slurry as soon possible.  Leaving the fish in a chilly bin with no ice all day will knock several days off the shelf life.     
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:52am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The cook The cook wrote:

For fish you need to use close to the lowest setting as anything more tend to pull the juices from the delicate structure of the fish flesh resulting in a pool of juices in the back & fillets that are no where near as nice to eat.
Thats what happened to me, not nice to eat, so stopped vacuum packing fresh fish.

Best I have done is in a salt ice slurry, kept there for 3-4 nights. The fish were then gutted, put in the fridge. Stayed there whole, then used when needed, filleted, lasted to 9-10 nights all up. The fish had sunken eyes, similar like at the fish markets where fish had been on ice for days at a time.
You need to wipe the moisture off the fish daily, you want fish sitting on a stainless steel dish or a plastic one either, some how the fish sort of reacts with these 2 things. Best is glass plate of dinner plate.
The fish fillets seemed to have broken down a bit, (for want of a better word to describe it) they were still very good eating, no fishy smell, the smaller snaps were beautiful & seemed more oily.
The fish were caught around this time of the year.

Vacuum pack rump steak, leave in the fridge for at least a month or longer.... not too bad
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 4:47pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ok ,What about smoked fish and brined fish that is smoked ?? Vaccie packed that is 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 9:04pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

BananaBoat - I agree with the vacuum packed steak, I have won a few of these in raffles and always leave them in the fridge for at least another 3 weeks. they are divine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 10:34pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by the demon the demon wrote:

Ok ,What about smoked fish and brined fish that is smoked ?? Vaccie packed that isĀ 

Vac pacing dramatically improves shelf life
The act of brining & smoking largely sterilises the fish. Vac packing then prevents any further contamination, coupled with the fact that aerobic bacteria will not grow means you have a good chance of almost no bacteria growing at all.

I have happily eaten vac packed smoked fish that is 6 months old (note stored in a cold fridge (1c))
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 9:20am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The cook The cook wrote:

Originally posted by the demon the demon wrote:

Ok ,What about smoked fish and brined fish that is smoked ?? Vaccie packed that is 

Vac pacing dramatically improves shelf life
The act of brining & smoking largely sterilises the fish. Vac packing then prevents any further contamination, coupled with the fact that aerobic bacteria will not grow means you have a good chance of almost no bacteria growing at all.

I have happily eaten vac packed smoked fish that is 6 months old (note stored in a cold fridge (1c))

really missing your fishing reports mr cook
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KaiKatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 11:00pm
KaiKatcha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great info in there Cook
Less today leaves more for tomorrow