1996 Johnson 90hp V4 not starting

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nigelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1996 Johnson 90hp V4 not starting
    Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 3:32pm
nigelp View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have had an issue with my 1996 Johnson 90hp V4 not wanting to start when I leave it sitting around (outside) for more than 4 weeks. Cranks over fine just doesnt fire until I give it a squirt of CRC engine start and its away like a trooper. Only happens when cold and not run for a while but has me perplexed. Someone mentioned condensation in the combustion chamber and suggested a cover for the top of the outboard. We have had a few colder mornings (2-3 degrees) but nothing freezing recently and always try to start later in the day when things have warmed up.

Any ideas what could be the cause/solution? Runs fine apart from the initial starting process initially.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 4:03pm
tugboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

fuel, carbs, choke circuit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 6:58pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So Nigelp are you saying if you leave for only a week starts fine?
If so you may find the fuel in carbs is going off (solvents evaporating), the fuel since lead removed is a lot fussier than the old stuff. My mechanic likes to run high octane as he says is better quality fuel?   Have you tried a tankful of this? You can buy fuel stabilisers to add to fuel as well.
Another way to avoid problem - if you suspect u are not going to use for a few weeks disconnect fuel line and run on ear muffs while flushing with fresh water till motor cuts out - then when you go to start in 4 weeks you will have to prime fuel using bulb to put fresh fuel in carbs and it should be okay - as fuel is probably going off in carbs not in fuel tank/line - hence engine start gets it running and able to pull fresh fuel through. .
My service manual says motors should be run no more than 4 weekly just to keep everything turning over and freed up anyway - if u leave motor to long between runs you can find water pump impeller has stuck to casing, gear shift frozen etc..
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nigelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 7:31pm
nigelp View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It runs fine after a week but not after a month.

I did think about running it out of fuel with the muffs and will try this after this season (hopefully wont be more than weekly outings).

Will try 96 in it next time I fill up and see if that makes a difference also. Runs fine once going just the starting.

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 7:50pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Check the cleaniness of the main fuse and internal of the fuse holder.They are assembled with a gel type substance which over years dries out. I cleaned with white spirit,dried and reassembled. Problem solvedThumbs Up
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 8:47pm
Grasshoppa View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If your motor is still running the oil injection DO NOT run it out of fuel, the carbs will run out of petrol sure enough, but your oil circuit will still be pumping oil, Johnson/Evinrudes mix fuel/oil pre carb, soo you will effectively run the carb out of petrol and fill with oil, this is guaranteed to give you starting issues next time you use it
When cranking the motor, are you holding the key in for choke while cranking or just giving it the occasional 'pump'?
You should be holding it in and releasing once engine fires
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nigelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 8:55pm
nigelp View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Grasshoppa Grasshoppa wrote:

If your motor is still running the oil injection DO NOT run it out of fuel, the carbs will run out of petrol sure enough, but your oil circuit will still be pumping oil, Johnson/Evinrudes mix fuel/oil pre carb, soo you will effectively run the carb out of petrol and fill with oil, this is guaranteed to give you starting issues next time you use it
When cranking the motor, are you holding the key in for choke while cranking or just giving it the occasional 'pump'?
Yeah it is still running the VRO oil injection system - didnt think about the still pumping oil part.

I didnt know about the choke - dealer never mentioned it when we got it! So you hold the key in while starting it or before starting it? Thanks for the info!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dead Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 10:24pm
Dead Ant View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

On my old Johnson I used to need to pump the bulb a lot to prime the motor.  This seemed to help starting when it had been sitting around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 8:19am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The internal seals in the fuel/oil pump can leak allowing oil to dribble down into the carb's.  This can make starting difficult.  When it starts does it produce a lot of smoke or run rough?

Easy way to check is to pull off the air intake and open a bung on one of carbs.  If Oily liquid comes out, this could be the issue.  Also look for oil on the casing below the air intake.

Note it you are pulling the air intake off be sure to use loctite on the inner screws.  They have been known to come loose and cause serious damage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 2:39pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by nigelp nigelp wrote:

Originally posted by Grasshoppa Grasshoppa wrote:

Yeah it is still running the VRO oil injection system - didnt think about the still pumping oil part.

I didnt know about the choke - dealer never mentioned it when we got it! So you hold the key in while starting it or before starting it? Thanks for the info!

My boat has a Johnson 115 V4 (1998) and yes, when I bought it I was instructed that in order to activate the choke, push/pump the key in the ignition three times then turn when cold. Seems to work fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Flakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 9:15pm
Fish Flakes View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I believe that the choke devise is actually a enriching devise opposed to a air choke. Activates a valve that delivers extra fuel for cold starting. Have disconnected the oil pump on 2 of these engines now, running premixed fuel, for greatly improved performance so perhaps that could be an option if you continue to have issues.