Straylining with Braid

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straylining with Braid
    Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 10:30am
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This weekend Im forced to doing a little fishing and have to leave the speargun in the cabin.

I hear sorts about this wonder braid. I thought I might give it a go.

Going to be fishing in an area 10 meters deep for small snaps 2-4kg with my little rod.

Rod is Spectrum 6'6"
Reel Shimano 4000

I was thinking of trying 4kg braid, but heard it would be overkill and I would be better with nilon and stretch at the depth.

What ya reckon?

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 10:41am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

personally i would go with mono at that depth
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 12:12pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you could try light braid - but think you will have more joy with mono

i can see you getting lots of bustoffs on the braid due to its light breaking strain and lack of stretch

the stretch in mono wont be significant in that depth of water - youll still have good control with 4kg mono

No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 12:16pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Yeah braid is not ideal for straylining because it's very buoyant. I reckon the crossover between mono and braid is about 30 metres.

I see in the latest Fishing News that Sam Mossman finds that he is using braid for almost all his fishing ... interesting take on it.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 12:41pm
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah, that article made me look into it.

BH Said "i can see you getting lots of bustoffs on the braid due to its light breaking strain and lack of stretch"

I thought it was usually stronger than mono at the same breaking strain.

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 12:50pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quote: Originally posted by KeriBOI on 06 September 2005

yeah, that article made me look into it.

BH Said "i can see you getting lots of bustoffs on the braid due to its light breaking strain and lack of stretch"

I thought it was usually stronger than mono at the same breaking strain.

huh? breaking strain is just that - regardless of whether its mono, braid or one of your short and curlies

No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 12:52pm
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

then why will it break easier than mono? :P
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 12:52pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

KeriBoi, 10 mtrs of water will probably have kelp to contend with?

That's where the floating tendancy of braid can be a big plus.

A small ball sinker to help get the bait down with the rest of the line floating can make life a lot easier on light gear.

I'm with Sam Mossman on the braid thing---nearly all my reels are loaded with it.

Consider using recurve hooks when fishing this style--I use Gammie 4/0's & 5/0's.

The recurves will negate the need to strike hard, something that makes light line straylining difficult.

I say, go for it!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 12:53pm
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think its just mud/sand bottom, Somewhere in the whangaroa harbour my mates tell me.

Im the type of fisherman that catches more fish lips that fish. Got a good stike. My mum always says "you pull it right out its mouth"

Guess it would be a whole new style of fishing for me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 2:15pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Keri - it is a different style. It took me ages to come to grips with fishing braid (but that's because I'm a slow learner with v.small brain).

OK now I want to raise a point. Tying knots in braid. Why not just use the old granny knot. We tie special knots in mono to prevent it cutting through itself.

So, if braid don't cut through itself, why not just tie an ordinary knot?

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lalandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 3:29pm
lalandi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

KeriBOI it will probably take more than one session to get used to braid... It can be used successfully at all depths if you change your technique. I suggest not striking at all. Don't write it off after the first session, cos chances are you will hate it. Also Braid has a breaking strain guideline only... They are typically way stronger than they suggest. I think braid has a lower knot strength and the breaking strain guideline takes this into concideration. (ChrisW or Sooshee will know the guts on that). As far as I am aware there is no igfa rated braid????

I rate Braid!

So you're a feminist... How cute
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 3:49pm
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I guess it cant hurt trying it.
Ill let you all know how it goes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 4:01pm
jerm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Lately have been fishing 45lb braid in depths as shallow as 3ft. The takes at these shallow depths are simply savage... Brings a whole new meaning to 'fighting a fish'. I find it casts well, sinks well and lasts well. Was in Oz a few weeks back and yes there is an IGFA rated braid brought out by "Fins". Fireline is a classic.....try and break the 4lb stuff and your likely to lose fingers before it will break. Why am I using 45lb braid I here you ask.....? Just playin with a new reel....!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 4:05pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi KeriBoi

I fish braid and light nylon in the shallows (3-6m).  I put a big bait on a circle (Mustad Demon 8/0) with the rod in the holder on the braid while I strayline with the nylon. 

A problem I experience with the braid is the number of 'crows nests' I get when casting (overhead reel) with the braid if it has kinked. This is worse if I try and use smaller unweighted baits like I would use on the light nylon.

Cheers

K

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 5:16pm
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, took the plunge, didnt realise it was so damn pricey compared to mono.

Anyway, now have some Berkely Fireline 10lb for my little rod :)

Whangaroa Harbour here I come.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 8:53pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quote: Originally posted by Bender on 06 September 2005

So, if braid don't cut through itself, why not just tie an ordinary knot?

Bender, on the contrary, because braid is so slippery and more abrasive it will cut through itself easier than mono. So yes, many of the locally available braid are rated below it's stated test. If I remember correctly, Fireline is about 20-40% higher .

Hey Uncle, never realised the "floating above the kelp" angle before. Makes a lot of sense though.

I think FINS may have been sold here by Kilwell or Conaghans at one stage. Never used it before but FishB8 has so I am keen to hear his comments.

I only fish with braid from boats nowadays. Not much chance to strayline from a boat in Wellington so I can't really comment on using braid for it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 9:35pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've got 37 Kg FINS PRT braid on a 6/0 reel - all 1200 yards of it! That's topped off with about 100 metres of 37 kg mono. Got 3 marlin on this outfit and the only real difference is if you up the drag to about 16 kg, then you really do need a glove on the left hand to level wind the line. The mono gives plenty of stretch and the braid allows capacity to use a smaller reel. Great, especially for stand-up. Lack of stretch means you can go to low speed and winch your fish in as you won't wreck the spool with over-pressure.

I also have 2, 6/0 with 600 yds of  mono and 600 of braid and I've never seen the braid come off the reel yet

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 10:01pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i'll be picking up my torium 16 from auckland marine centre tomorrow, i had 300m of 15 kg berkley whiplash put on. i'm hoping to use it for some straylining soon. if weather is good friday i'll give it a go. if not i hope to do some deepwater straylining on the toots trip coming up in a week and a half.

if so i'll give some feedback for what its worth.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 11:52am
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quote: Originally posted by sooshee on 06 September 2005
....So yes, many of the locally available braid are rated below it's stated test. If I remember correctly, Fireline is about 20-40% higher .

Oops sorry, what I meant to say what that most of the locally available braid are actually much much stronger (no knots) than its stated test.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 1:17pm
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok, the weather didnt play part, so boat fishing was off and had to fish the rocks.

My setup wasnt ideal from the rocks, only 10 lbs fireline.

Ok, I like the stuff. The way it floats on the surface in front of you is a big bonus.

It did feel light, and I could cast un-weighted baits further than needed.

I caught some small snaps but wouldnt want to hook anything bigger than 2kgs.

All in all. I liked it
Page  12>