Soft Plastics

Page  <1 23456 66>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hara_san Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2005 at 1:00pm
Hara_san View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Barrie,

I'll be bringing some down for you...I'm sure there are a ton of different things that we fish up here that you guys don't fish down there.  I've caught some tuna on them.

Whams(another plastic) are another thing that will get bit. 

Prime example I use a 5ft leader of Flourocarbon on all my outfits and the rest of the reel is backed with braid. 

We don't even think about using TLD25's in the states.

A trinidad 20/torium 20 are used for 50lb test.

We're getting closer and closer to my trip...Looking forward it Barrie.  I'll be bringing you an assortment of goodies.  I may even have a reel I might bring with some Jerry Brown Spectra(THE BEST) that you can keep.

Chris,

Do you guys chuck Tady 45's and Jr's??

I wish I could bring my new composite Ulua down there to fish.  9ft 3" 40lb jigstick.

If you want me to bring something down there for you please email me before and I can just ship it for you when I get there.

Do you guys use Jerry Brown Spectra at all or spectra period?  If so I'll contact my JB source and bring some down to you and Barrie.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2005 at 4:30pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Turning very red in the face.
Im just happy to take you out for a day mate... Honestly not after anything, just hope the weather plays ball and we can catch some for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hara_san Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2005 at 4:49pm
Hara_san View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Barrie,

I know you aren't after anything but that is the least I can do for you.  ChrisW has told em the kind of person you are, very much like a guy in the states that everyone goes to for reel repair.  If I could get a rod down there(limit on baggage through my study abroad) I'd have one wrapped up and bring it down there as a gift.  I'm going to have some goodies for you and at least some reels to try out.  I have a rough idea of the the fishing you guys do now, so I'm ready.  Have some rods, but I'm bringing a reel bag down.

Honestly email me before if you want me to bring you ANYTHING.  Remember reels are much cheaper in the states especially if you have a fishing business like myself.  Same goes for you Chris, but hopefully you will make Fred Hall this year?  I'll be working in a few booths.

I'm hoping the fishing is red hot since it's been a terrible year this year. My ticket price is always free on boats and I have gone only once this year.  that is how bad its been.  Nothing worse than real rough seas and lack of fish.  When the fishing turned on I've been busy with work, school, or my business.

I'll start posting pics of tackle soon and how we do connections for spectra and all that good stuff

If you guys have a Shimano Torium or Shimano Trinidad and want to make it into a beast and fish real heavy line on them look at this:

http://www.senortuna.com/main/showthread.php?t=10987

I did this pictorial and the guts are basically the same for both reels. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2005 at 9:54pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice site Paul, a lot of regular Allcoasters too and it make me feel quite at home.  Also terrific, definitive article of yours on drag upgrades,  will have to try it soon. I already have the carbontex washers and Cals top plate for my 40N.

So for all you DIY reel mechanics wanting a great pictorial article on drag servicing, check this out!   

give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2005 at 10:22pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good site alright. Some good tips too ty Hara San, like cleaning the spindle so carefully. bit of a waste on me though because I cant cast for $%!#.

Very good advice on greasing all the screws, I always do that, can save wrecking your reel.

Ummmm what is white gas?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2005 at 10:22pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wholley ...............man that looks complicated I would have about 26 different bits left over...I'll have to leave it to the pros I think at the moment. Great article though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2005 at 10:32pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

WM I have never had a Torium or Trinidad apart, because I have never owned one. Most reels arent too bad, but unless you have mechanical aptitude is best to leave it for someone else, if you dont have a 'feel' for tightening screws etc you can give yourself tons of grief. You need a nice tidy area to do a reel overhaul and an orderly manner about you. The best place to do your reel maintenance is on the kitchen table when your wife is out, that way you get a lot of satisfaction knowing you got away with it. Unless she comes home early.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2005 at 10:41pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yup the old Rimu table might be just the place Smudge.. I can put em back together well so far its only been an assortment of Penn Seaboys and jigmasters and the like  but tates a bit of though and not something to be attempted after a couple of beers (never again) around the BBQ I am still not sure to this day how the brother in-law and father inlaw manage to do that to those reels .. break em I mean not fix em lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hara_san Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2005 at 4:20am
Hara_san View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

White gas is coleman camping fuel.. It comes in a big rectangle jug with a handle on top.  It is red and silver labeling.  It is the best stuff for the job.

Toriums and Trinidads are about as easy as they come.  I would say they are a lot easier to deal with than Senators and the basic Penns.  The Daiwa Saltist is VERY similar to a Torium, so if you can open on of those then you can open your Saltist.  I have several of both.  Low maintainence, cheap, and excellent reels. 

Chris, Senor Tuna is a lot of the ACer's who got tired of the big boss over there.  I work for the owner of the site(not for the site but for the company he works for).  Where is the tackle board around here or do we have no tackle ho's?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2005 at 12:24am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks Hara San. This is pretty much it for tackle. Us kiwis dont really mess with stuff like that and if we do its only to fix it. I dont know of many that modify reels and make their own rods and stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hara_san Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2005 at 2:27pm
Hara_san View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Man Smudge...Half the fun of fishing is buying and getting your stuff ready for trips.

My reels even the new ones get treated before I take them fishing.  The clumps of grease in the reels that come new really hinder your freespool and casting performance.  I dont know if you guys fish live bait, so it may not matter as much for you guys

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2005 at 4:42pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey HAra_San, those Big hammers you mentioned, have they been around for a while now? I ask, becasue a mate of mine who move here from the Sttaes a decade or so ago brought me over a heap, they wee an awesome soft plastic, a brilliant swimming action on them, better than anything else I have come across yet, but after Jon stopped heading back to the States, my supply dried up.

They were all (at least the ones I got) i think 4 inch lures (maybe 5"?) flat along the top, and a good wide square tail, yes?

If you bring some, Barrie will be beside himself when he sees their action in the water.

Cheers, Stu.

It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2005 at 9:19pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MMM Hara_san thats a good thought the annual nzfishing.net "Tackle Hoe Pin/award" ....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2005 at 9:31pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Thanks for rescuing the thread from those highjackers Capt A.

What do you think of this one?

YUM� Houdini, Samurai and G-Shad

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2005 at 11:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

Geeez, I gotta use me spell check when posting... for petes sake, that post of mine is barely legible.

It SHOULD read like this.....

Hey Hara_San, those Big hammers you mentioned, have they been around for a while now? I ask, because a mate of mine who moved here from the States a decade or so ago brought me over a heap, they were an awesome soft plastic, a brilliant swimming action on them, better than anything else I have come across yet, but after Jon stopped heading back to the States, my supply dried up.

Crikey, I need to control them typos a little better methinks!

Uncle, I am hoping that some flash soft plastics may be heading over my way soon from Japan.  I will know more if/when they turn up, but they are large, up to 7 inch I think, articulated softplastics, of course now I cannot find the brochure, dammit, so I don't know the website! sheeshhh,.. a bad night!

Well, must dash,,

Cheers, Stu.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2005 at 6:41am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I cant wait to get out and try them. The worm beds are fishing well by the sound of it and that must surely be the exact place for them. With a bit of luck, Sunday will be the day I can get out for a short fish.
I will take bait... just in case... but the plan is to use only rubbers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hara_san Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2005 at 1:49pm
Hara_san View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Capt,

You got it right.  The big hammer is a harder plastic and the fish trap is a softer plastic.  Both have great actions and I do know Barrie will love these things.  Do you guys fish braid in the kelps or just regular mono?

What color plastics do you guys use?  The basic greens,browns, reds, and blues?

Do you guys toss a lot of rubber down there?  I had a meeting with my professor for study abroad last night, Barrie and I'm all cleared to go the night before for fishing the next day.  I will find out my exact schedule as we approach, but I do know I'm staying at the Sky Tower in Auckland.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2005 at 5:14pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

no problems mate
Easy to find, its the tallest building in the southern hemisphere.
Im totally new to softplastic/rubbers so cant help at all but my intentions are to use braid over sand and probably braid with a 2 meter mono trace over kelps
The colour I bought in Australia was
pearl/olive and
pink lemonade
I thought the pink woud stand out well and the olive would look more like fish.
I have never seen anyone useing rubbers in fishing and thats one of the reasons I wanted to try them.
I plan on doing more with jigs as well so that as time goes by, Bait will be used only every now and then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2005 at 5:49pm
Titanium
Titanium

I have had good sucess with pumpkin and pepper soft plastics here... kalins are superb for these.

I don't know too much about the old soft plastics usage over here, I do not think they are that widely used really. It is too bad, because they have been very effective for me in the past, especially on kahawai, but then, on kahawai, what ISN'T effective??? :-)

Small (3") shads on the end of a bucktail are very good for jigging for snapper though, I have got a fair number of snapper and other fish on them over the years, and I know JDs like the Hammertails.

The rocks/kelp we have here is very different from that of SoCal I think mate, certainly not the towering kelp forests you have over there! A lot more biting fish (as in, nipping with their teeth) than gulping fish over here too, so expect the soft plastics to lose tails fairly regularly, at least, the ones I use always seem to be de-tailed with monotonous regularity.

As for braid or not? Dunno. I use braid for jigging in anything over 30m anyhow, just to get max bite sensitivity.

Oh, if fishing over the worm beds, hmmmm... perhaps some carolina rigged worms/ paddle-tailed worms would be the go? Dunno, never fished there.

Cheers,

Stu.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2005 at 6:15pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

These are a selection of SP's that a mate in the US sent over for me to try.

He was adamant that the small grubs would catch our snapper--we'll see!

I'm aware that the third one down is rigged the wrong way, that's been fixed.

Page  <1 23456 66>