Soft Plastics

Page  <12345 66>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2005 at 10:55am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Just plain 'ol silicon. I'm looking to make something tougher than what's available.

These ones seem to fit the bill but they loose a bit of movement.

Much work to be done

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Strawberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2005 at 11:04am
Strawberry View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

they look good uncle, are the lumo o just plain silcone at this stage..

strawberry

"The sharks are circling"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2005 at 11:11am
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Uncle old son there is no such thing as plain old silicone as firstly there is a difference between asid cure ie smells like vinegar when curing and nuetral cure which has no smell also different brands will "harden to differing ammounts and show vastly different wobble ability. A quick walk through a good ITM store will reveal a choise of twenty of the better brands. but I am aware of about 100 different options.

Let me think about what you are trying to do and talk to a few suppliers for their reccomendations to get the toughness combined with the "wobble" you are looking for. Mostly the difference in brand is about the stuff they add to give their builders snot a unique slice of the market this includes stiffeners and colour additives.  Also for toughness and price some of the cheaper Gap filler exterior options will set firmer without the adhesive qualities that the more expensive types demonstrate.

Cunning plan you old dodger but you have set my feeble mind to work!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2005 at 11:19am
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quote: Originally posted by Uncle on 17 September 2005

Any clues as to how to target JD's on them?

up at houhora, the locals often just hang them over the side and forget about them, the currents pretty fast so the shads tails seem to just wag away. otherwise slowly lift the rod up and down.

We have caught them by spotting them in the shalows, flicking in a shad and slowly retrieving it past their nose.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2005 at 11:33am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Strawberry, at this stage, not lumo. I have some real good lumo powder that will be used later but I don't want to waste it on these "prototypes".

Boulder, thanks for that. Will be interesting to see what you come up with.

The stuff I'm using is the acid type--sure smells like vinegar, strong vinegar!

I've played around with stuff for years so know a bit about what works & what dosen't  

Thanks Josh, I'll try your suggestions down at the wharf--that's if I can find a space among all the new imigrants

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2005 at 3:11pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Just had broadband installed so testing with the same photo for time comparison.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2005 at 3:12pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yahoooo, yipeeeee! took about 5 seconds!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2005 at 10:17pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks Josh, I'll try your suggestions down at the wharf--that's if I can find a space among all the new imigrants

Just elbow the overstayers into the water, show em whos the bad dog around Tga.  Have ya made my 10,000 pcs yet, got til tomorrow to deliver.

give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2005 at 10:31pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I'm going/coming as fast as I can Chris

What time tomorrow is the deadline

Should I use Sloways Couriers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2005 at 10:37pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I hear Winnie is coming down here real soon. I'm sure he won't mind carrying them down for you but don't let him know ya didn't vote for him!

oh...sorry deadline past, just got a call from a factory in China!

give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2005 at 10:43pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yep Chris, Wellington's a great place for him--I'm sure you'll make him welcome.

He enjoys fishing for Cook Straight sailfish--perhaps you could entertain him

Ah, breach of contract--gotcha.

It's not tomorrow yet

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 8:29pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

For anyone interested in the subject SOFT PLASTICS, there is a book review in this months NZFN of Steve Starlings new book "On soft plastics & how to use them".

I had a look around the local shops for a copy but no joy so just finished ordering on line.

One day when I grow old & get a bit more sense, maybe I'll get over these all consumming obsessions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2005 at 6:43am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Uncle
I want to learn a bit more on these
Could you let me know if you think its worthwhile please
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hara_san Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2005 at 6:11pm
Hara_san View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Does anyone fish Big Hammers or Fish Traps?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2005 at 6:57pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

have you got a link please?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2005 at 7:39pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Paul, those jigs are not available here.  Be sure to bring some over, I'm sure you won't have any problem leaving them behind.  There are so many soft plastic jigs in the US, its hard to know what makes a good brand.  Perhaps you can enlighten us down under.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2005 at 8:04pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Barrie, this link has some interesting stuff. I think fish traps figure in there somewhere.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csc6c.htm

Keep at him Chris, the more info the better

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2005 at 8:22pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Right thats it, I will get a few for the tackle box on payday as well as a few other shiny TAS thingys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2005 at 8:29pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2005 at 8:44pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Uncle
I will have a good look at the weekend
Page  <12345 66>