I Learnt The Hard Way...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Learnt The Hard Way...
    Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 7:18pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So we were discussing a few things in the Wellington yakkers forum after a new yakker introduced himself, and it was suggested maybe we make a thread on the topic...

What did you learn the hard way when you took to kayaking (or since starting)? Sure everyone gives you hints, tips, and advice galore when you look to setting yourself up for kayak fishing, but somethings are unique and not so commonly advised of....

I'm sure there are many people who can share their hard times, some not so bad and some that will make the rest of us feel sorry for you.

Hopefully it will also be a good read for any newbies before they make the same mistakes we did!

I'll begin with my first two times on the water...:

My first outing and first fish was a HUGE cuda.
Lesson #1: Take needle nose pliers. I was advised this, but thought "nah i'll be ok, i'll get them next time"

Second outing, keys/alarm remote got wet so couldn't de-immobilise my car.
Lesson #2: Keep keys in water tight bag, hatch was not completed water tight!

Second outing, Car now on back of tow truck heading to city from makara, kayak flys off the roof of the car/truck and onto the road.
Lesson #3: Don't buy roofracks off Trademe Smile

By the 3rd outing, I think I managed my first fish to take home, a bunch of Tarakihi's form welly harbour Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 7:49pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Good thinking xtreamz~~I made it a sticky topicBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zambezi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 9:17pm
Zambezi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After many trips with out issue.

I always kept an emergency knife of a shoulder sheath on my PDF. THE DAY I DIDNT TAKE IT (it was a bad 20+knot SW wind day blowing offshore) shouldnt have gone out but wanted to set a long line off the yak (having never done that before) through the anchor down on one end (not knowing better), all was going well till I had to attach the traces.

Got turned side on to the chop, couldnt hold the back bone, some how a loop got tangled in the PFD straps and buckles so when i let go and the stretch came out I went in the drink, then got tangled in the DIY tether to the yak, hadn't attached paddle leash properly so the paddle went for a float.

Managed to get untangled from the tether pulled the yak back and groped around for the bait knife attached to the seat straps, cut my self out of the backbone, got in the yak and luckily managed to catch up to the paddle thanks to the breeze.

Still don't even care that I lost a chilly bin, trace rack, tackle box, SB setup or the long line setup.

Never cared much for going out in it again after that so ended up using it for dropping off shark baits. Which was even worse in the long run but a very different sort of buzz.
A man’s comfort in life can be measured by the quality of the toilet paper he uses to wipe his arse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tigurello 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 2:10pm
tigurello 90 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i went out one day with a friend drove 40 minutes to a small remote beach that ran down the coast to some nice looking reefs fish most of the day we got some nice kingfish and  snapper and decided to call it quits paddled back to the car carried the yaks up loaded them on the back of the ute and realised the car key was somewhere probably in a hole with a crayfish so the car was going nowhere limited cell reception luckily found enough reception and called a tow truck to get the car home after a retired diesel mechanic helped me pull the ignition barrel apart only to find it had an imobiliser my ute was in the mechanics for over a month and had to hitch rides every where with work mates or other mates to go anywhere 1 month with out a car because i put the key in my pocket and went out on the yak to have the key disapear through a scupper hole is a lesson to be learnt 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 8:00pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

A few years ago I paddled out into the middle of the Tauranga Harbour and anchored just off the sandbar. I cast a softie onto the shallow bar and bang something big takes it and runs like hell. 
Im thinking stingray as I never do well in the harbour and was only here out of desperation as the surf was too big.
Reeled it in and a massive snapper breaks the surface. At this stage of my kayaking career I dont own a gaff or net.
I carefully try to slide it into the yak and ping snap goes the line and the big snapper gently rolls away and then gone forever Cry

I went and immediately bought a net.................

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tom the Pom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 8:22pm
Tom the Pom View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Don't fall asleep in a  yak. Calm as conditions , sunshine and not much fish action. Fell asleep and only woke as the yak over-tipped and in I fell - talk about a rude awakening!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 9:23pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

One day I set out for a bit of a paddle around Waihi harbour. Mint conditions but that current was rather swift. I decided to explore my options and head out to open water outside the bar...bad idea. Even tho I as on the edge of the channel I got caught by a strong current line which subsequently carried me towards the rip and there my yak spun around 180 deg and was on the verge of tipping. It was freakin scarry experience, but I managed to put the paddle into it and got out of the danger zone. Never again will I be doing that. Not knowing how dangerous that bar is in the first place was a mistake that could have proven to be disastrous

PS I was wearing a PFD but I doubt it would of saved me in that situation
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tigurello 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 2:08pm
tigurello 90 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i done that at the whangamata entrance on a wendsay night I remember because the costguard coming in from training warned me of the worsening conditions I was prepaird for them sitting on the rocks by the first marker ii told them I was fine and carried on fishing catching a few reasonable pannies as a few hours passed I noticed the current vs swell at the entrance so I put the yak in the water and started making back altho its not the widest of channels the chop and swift current in the darkness made it one of the dodgiest experience I have had in my yak
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote miktaras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 1:58pm
miktaras View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

First time out, rod in holder by hip.  Not a good idea when launching on a naki surf beach as it somewhat gets in the way of the paddle stroke.  Got out on second attempt and started fishing, only to have hook get stuck in big toe.  Managed 3 gurnard after all that and havnt looked back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 6:53pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Double and even triple check your gear before you go. Including electronics & batteries, paddles & even fishing rod n reels are some of the things I have forgotten over the past 6 years.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote secala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 7:50pm
secala View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Pliers, Pliers, Pliers ..........

No No No ..........pliers boofhead!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 8:27pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

^^ Ouch!! How did you manage that! Twice!? Top one looks like it could be snipped and pulled out, bottom one looks worse, did it need to be pushed through?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 9:01pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great idea Antz. Mine probably sounds silly..but happy to share so others learn. Paddle over to arabella rock from breaker bay for a spearfish on a stunning summers day. for those who dont know welly its a big paddle with xos current, ferries and rec boats to contend with. Anchor on the edge of the rip. Spearfish for an hour and load up a bin full of premo eaters and bugs swimming in constant current the whole time. Climb back on yak. Feeling a bit hungry and thirsty now. Small problem. Forgot to take water or food. Huge slog bag home using paddle power with dive gear, 30kg of seafood and some wind now to contend with. Was absolutely r00ted by the time i got back to the beach at home and probably lucky to have made it cos my energy levels were super low and if the wind had come up by even 2-3 knots i reckon id have been a gonner. Always pack food and water!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 8:37am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No matter how small and easy the surf looks paddle out with rods flat. Cry  broke my best rod by turtling in a small surf. not to mention the sand through the reel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gimmesomesnappa! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 9:42pm
gimmesomesnappa! View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Davo I know your pain mate, I paddled out past mana last year and left all my supplies on the kitchen table.....open up my phone to read a message from the mrs.....*hey you left your food here..have fun idiot.*
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 7:17pm
nodrog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Back your drag off , and check for tip-wrapping, before you put your rod in a holder!    The leverage of say 4 kg on the end of a rod can have you over real quick, I've had close calls on : 7gill sharks - they come up easy, you're just reaching for the pliers then they put their tail up and go down solidly.... And I've had a small blue cod at the side of the yak hit by a big coutta at full speed, and I've had a big kahawai take a bare hook dangling 5cm above the surface while cutting a bait, and I've a startled gannet take off at me and get tangled in the line of a stowed rod.   So a rule like "no tight drags or tip wraps EVER in rod holders" will help keep your plastic side down!
Its a Kayak Thing...You wouldn't understand!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Andy Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 9:51pm
Andy Martin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

While fishing off Paraparaumu swell got up so headed in making sure everything was away, But forgot to unclip my anchor, I ended up in the surf with anchor deployed . Took 10-15 mins to work out why I wasn't going any where while Swiming behind yak, once I unclipped anchor I was on the beach in the matter of minutes. Lesson learnt check everything twice.