Cast Iron cookware

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cast Iron cookware
    Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 2:45pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just had an induction cook-top installed.
So a cookware upgrade was needed too.
High ferrous content cookware required with induction cook-tops.
An inter-web search had me looking at the Flash Harry Stainless/alloy bonded cookware.
Cost a small fortune per piece.
Then I came across a number of cooking/induction forums that were singing the CI(Cast Iron) praises.
Already had a few CI items for camping/duck shooting etc.
Scrubbed them up,re-seasoned them,brilliant.
The original non stick pan.
Can place the pan from cook-top to oven if required too.
Have ordered a few more pieces to add to the collection.
Currently have
1 X 8" round smooth CI skillet (smaller items eggs etc)
1 x 11" square ribbed CI skillet ( steaks,fish etc)
1 x 5qt CI Dutch Oven(making killer no knead bread in this puppy)
1 x 11" bonded SS/Alloy chefs pan with lid.
1 x 10" bonded SS/Alloy fry pan with lid.
On order
1 x 2'x1' CI reversible griddle (ribbed & smooth/flat sided)
1 x 12" CI round smooth skillet
1 x 10" steel round fry pan.
May look to get an enameled CI pot/pan later on.
About the only downside to CI is that cooking high acidic foods can remove the seasoned  pan surface.
Hence the bonded cookware pans.
Trying to rid the kitchen of clutter.
To the Pro`s out there,what would you add or subtract from the above list?
10 pieces max.
Apparently CI cookware is making a comeback.In the USA at least, according to the YT clips I have been viewing.
Vintage pieces in particular.
Sounds like quality CI can last for century`s.
And certainly far more robust/economical to buy than the mid-high end bonded cookware.
Cheerz

Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 2:50pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No Wok? I'd get a wok...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 3:01pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was planing on using the chefs pan to cover wok duties Cliffy.
May add to list though.
Lodge does make a flat bottomed wok if needed.
Cheerz cobber.
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 9:52pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cant beat the wok for extra volume, but hopefully the chefs pan can cover what you're after. Im pushing for one of those le creuset enamel CI dutchies for a christmas present eh! They are the business, but pretty expensive piece of kit. Although, will last a lifetime...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mmmWord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 11:16pm
mmmWord View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No pro, but...

Cast iron is great for frying but as you have probably figured out by now you don't want to be making acidic sauces in it (unless enamelled). That's where those bonded stainless pans come in.

Cast iron (ie, Lodge) woks are a bit silly - the point of a wok is that it doesn't hold heat too much, whereas cast iron tends to be super thick so does. Problem is I am not sure you'll find a thin one suitable for induction, so your choices may be limited there. This is basically my only gripe with induction.

Personally wouldn't bother with the griddle, especially as you already have a ribbed pan, but presumably you are particularly attracted to it which is entirely understandable :p

I like having a tiny pan (5" or so) for toasting small amounts of nuts etc. Cast iron, alloy/stainless, or blue steel, does not matter (as long as it works on your stove). I got an okay one from Briscoes for like $25.

pm me if you want to try some sourdough in that casserole, I have a vague set of instructions that are not really that much more work than Bittman's no-knead bread.

edit: also a razor blade threaded onto a chopstick makes a great lame for slashing the top of bread :p