Canal and Freshwater Softbaiting

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 7:35am
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I doubt those salmon even have any natural instincts let alone know what there supposed to eat,one of my favourite rigs is a float rig with a 1 mtr dropper,fill float half with water so you can cast it and let it drift from the middle into the shore .
Theres a lot of fish right at your feet at times .
Put split shot above crab to sink it .
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 2:06pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Jwest Jwest wrote:

What length leader do you use OWT? I had some success using a 5lb fluro leader but had trouble knotting it to 16lb braid which was obviously a bit heavy but that was what was on the spool at the time... do you use an FG knot as a connection?

I just saw this. Depending on my knot and overall setup I might use anywhere between 2.5m and .5m. I've had bites on rather short leaders. If I was using heavy braid I'd go a bit longer on the leader. 4lb microfuse doesn't show up as much, so I think you can get away with less leader. Water clarity is also important.

The Complete Angler guy usually starts at about 1.5m and then reties it when it gets really short, about 40cm.

If I had a rod with 16lb braid on I'd set it up with a 5m leader bait under a float with a bead that would stop at the braid leader knot. Or put on a top shot of lighter braid. From what I've seen, going heavier on the braid really limits your chances.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 10:57pm
Jwest View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

Originally posted by Jwest Jwest wrote:

What length leader do you use OWT? I had some success using a 5lb fluro leader but had trouble knotting it to 16lb braid which was obviously a bit heavy but that was what was on the spool at the time... do you use an FG knot as a connection?

I just saw this. Depending on my knot and overall setup I might use anywhere between 2.5m and .5m. I've had bites on rather short leaders. If I was using heavy braid I'd go a bit longer on the leader. 4lb microfuse doesn't show up as much, so I think you can get away with less leader. Water clarity is also important.

The Complete Angler guy usually starts at about 1.5m and then reties it when it gets really short, about 40cm.

If I had a rod with 16lb braid on I'd set it up with a 5m leader bait under a float with a bead that would stop at the braid leader knot. Or put on a top shot of lighter braid. From what I've seen, going heavier on the braid really limits your chances.

Thanks mate, appreciate the tips! Have since bought a new reel and spooled it with 4lb microfuse from Kaveman so ready to roll..whenever I get back down there again..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 9:16am
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

OK, folks: thanks for all the advice.

My epic road trip (towing a tandem axle trailer with 2 race bikes in it to the Burt Munro from Russell, and back) starts 3am tomorrow.

I'm hoping to be at the canals Wednesday evening and Thursday morning.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 12:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

Post photos and trip reports. 

If you can't get any go to Tekapo bowl after dark with a blacklight and a fluoro bead pushed onto your jighead. 

I used an unscented glow in the dark plastic, and that didn't work so well, but when I cut a lump off it and pushed it up against the jighead with a gulp behind, I did much better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 1:59pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yup, armed with fluoresecent beads as well as jigheads.

Depending on the time I arrive, "Wednesday evening" may well be Wednesday night. It's a set of long drives in a Navara ute towing a windbreak of a trailer - the trailer's only a bit more streamlined than our first generation Superbikes, and they look like this:

PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rob Optimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 4:12pm
Rob Optimist View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good luck for the Burt Munro PJay, you might need a raincoat by the looks.
               "attitude is everything"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 9:49am
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Hmmm... My race bike engine exploded on the 3rd lap of the first practice session, and I caught one small put-backer trout.

Not the most successful 4000km road trip. Still in Southland just now.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 12:23pm
Platinum
Platinum

Sometimes it's like that. Have another go on the way up if you can. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote freddytimaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 10:17pm
freddytimaru View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

what model yoshi rod do you recommend please and how would it compare to the new Okuma canal rods eg CD extrasence nano ?  do you have an opinion please
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:05am
Platinum
Platinum

Hey. I'm still catching them on the Crucis, though I have gone through a couple of tips!

Any quality long rod will do. If I were buying now I'd just get the Nanomatrix canal to be honest. You can spend a lot more money for a little bit more sensitivity. It's more about time on the water and fishing deep. Globugs seems to be the latest thing on rainbows. 

I caught a decent salmon last time I was out, and again the year before. Salmon aren't nearly as common now though. It's just luck as to when there is a 'release' from the nets. They get caught quickly, and the companies are getting better at hanging on to their fish. Cry

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helmsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 9:19am
Helmsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Extrasense Nano 7'9" 3-10g is hands down the nicest canal rod I've ever used for softbaiting. Have fished with the Lox and Crucis rods and in terms of sensitivity and feel it it leagues ahead.

If you want to fish eggs/glo-bugs more often then it would be worth waiting a month and going for one of the new 8'3 or 9' models which I've been doing some testing with and are genuinely outstanding rods

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 7:10pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What a fish!! What a photo!!!!!
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 7:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Helmsy good to see you are still getting into them. Percentage wise any chance of giving us an estimate of how many you would get on a standard okuma rod compared to the flash stuff?
Page  <12