1975 16ft Glasscraft cabin boat

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 5:04pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I blame it on the power tools. They just sit there saying use me, use me and I just cant resist.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 5:37pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A time consuming project and worthwhile as these were a successful production. I've just rebuilt one and fitted a reco'd v4 115hp Johnny onto my cuzzies boat, replacing the 90hp.Thumbs Up
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 3:09pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So finally managed to get some more time on the boat today (4hours) and am very close to having the rear underfloor section finished.

Next step is to get a layer of glass on the front stringers where they have been attacked before, get some foam in for safety, then measure up the ply to get the floor back in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 9:17pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Another step closer to having the mid section finished

Epoxy sealed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 9:59pm
Platinum
Platinum

why did you choose to use epoxy resin to seal it when epoxy is not compatible when lamitating onto the polyester based bearers and hullQuestion

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 10:16pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

All of the work has been done in epoxy.
Epoxy will bond to polyester but polyester will not bond to epoxy.
Really don't like polyester and have done previous boats the same way. Epoxy is far superior but does cost more.

I also double and triple checked with the fibreglass suppliers and they assure me that using epoxy is fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 10:17pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

brad  .. yes...glasscraft 16..  quite wide boat that handles reasonably well on the water.. and in a chop  ...  have seen some powered up with big motors...  my only gripe was the low free board  and the low seating arrangement.. 
 What hp you going to run on it..?????

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 10:22pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Will be looking at powering it with a 70 Yamaha. The mate I got it off was running a Johnson 70 and it got along nicely.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 10:25pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yup ideal IMHO good enough for a few peeps and be reasonably economical    ..
pretty sure they used to race these hulls  someone may shed a little more light..

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 7:35pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Finally feeling like its getting somewhere and the daughter is starting to have her input about beds and curtains etc... Great that she is finally seeing this is an upgrade from our other boat.

Got the mid-section floor glued in, its nice and solid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 10:03pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by tas-tackle tas-tackle wrote:

yup ideal IMHO good enough for a few peeps and be reasonably economical    ..
pretty sure they used to race these hulls  someone may shed a little more light..
Yes they were a popular race hull and I recall Calypso successfully racing, with a inline 6cyl. 150hp Merc and new Gibson trim Hydrolic trim tabs.
No cabin with seats against outboard well and a forward mounted water ballest tank under a deck cover.
Colour Red. I dont remember the boats regd.race number.
Mick McColl was owner driver.
My m8 Ross built many during his time with Glasscraft. Thumbs Up

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 8:45pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Finished my 3 weekends of boatmasters course with a pass, so spent the afternoon on the boat today.

The mid section of floor is tabbed in and has a layer of resin and boat cloth so is now fully sealed bottom, top and edges.

So now that is done I have moved inside the cabin area and taken it back to the bones again. GOD DAmn I am itchy now though. The G/F informed me after I had finished that I still have a new pair of coveralls inside (would have been bloody handy to tell me this before I covered myself in fibreglass dust)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 1:14pm
Platinum
Platinum

We went for a run yesturday to try ot the v4 115 Johnny.........it goes real good Thumbs UpCensoredyeah

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 2:49pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ok so been a long time since posting. I took a break from working on this to get some renovations done on the house to keep SWMBO off my case.

Here are some pics of the work done over the past fortnight, the floor is almost back in and now only needs some filling done and a couple of layers of glass and cloth put down before working on the layout for a console, seating and storage.

Before doing the interior though I will be dropping the hull off the trailer and fixing the couple of splits that caused all this work in the first place. Hard to believe that a split as long as your finger would cause this much damage, but that is what happens when someone neglects fixing something so minor over a long period of time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 12:36pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Some more progress on the boat. Floor is finally finished and now to think about what to do with the layout. The G/F likes the idea of having the cabin on, but with it off there is so much more usable space for fishing if I convert it to a side or centre console
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 12:53pm
Platinum
Platinum

I know the design well and appreciate your comments however due to the low freeboard I tend to side with your g/f.
It's a capable hull but I'd leave the cabin on for sea worthyness.
Fishing really needs sides to be thigh height to enable you to fish comfortably.

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 11:30pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So it has been a while but finally got time to spend on the hull and am close to having it done. just need to flip the hull and do the bottom, finish the cabin and then put all together and fit seats, outboard etc
The girls won on the colour choice, after I made 6 different samples at work for them to choose from, Unfortunately the photos dont show the colour for what it really looks like, but I am glad I let the girls choose because it does suit the boat.
In certain lights it is a deep maroon, but when the sun hits it the vibrance pearls stand out and it starts to sparkle and changes the colour dramatically.
Am looking forward to getting the last bit of white on the bottom and transom now.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 3:43pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

From memory of selling boats years ago, they were prone to flexing in the middle of the hull near the uprights for the cabin, stringers along hull and up inside underneath deck help.
well done you will enjoy it after all the grief.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 1:21pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

One more step closer. Waiting on screens now which I am hoping are ready this week so the cabin can be worked on.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 2:05pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Its taken soooo long to do this on a limited budget and having little amounts of free time, but the end is so close now.
Have made the brackets to close off the screen gaps and am now making up the console for steering and gauges etc. 
It should be ready just in time for winter Wacko
Page  <1234>