"Keeper" Fish Sizes?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fuzzy Ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Keeper" Fish Sizes?
    Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 12:10pm
Fuzzy Ellis View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys,

Long time lurker but first time posting.

I’ve recently moved to Otago and I’m looking at taking up some fresh water fishing. My main query though is over the sizes of the fish. I’ve looked into the regulations and a lot of areas don’t have any size limits for the fish you keep. I’ve no intention of keeping small, juvenile fish but I’ve no idea what size juveniles, etc. are, so figured I’d ask around.

So basically, what do you guys class as a minimum ‘keeper’ size for trout and salmon?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 3:15pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Fuzzy Ellis Fuzzy Ellis wrote:

Hi guys,

Long time lurker but first time posting.

I’ve recently moved to Otago and I’m looking at taking up some fresh water fishing. My main query though is over the sizes of the fish. I’ve looked into the regulations and a lot of areas don’t have any size limits for the fish you keep. I’ve no intention of keeping small, juvenile fish but I’ve no idea what size juveniles, etc. are, so figured I’d ask around.

So basically, what do you guys class as a minimum ‘keeper’ size for trout and salmon?

Thanks in advance,
Dave<font face="Calibri"><o:p></o:p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

Get a free regulations booklet from fish & game or visit their website as regulations can vary from one water to another.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fuzzy Ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 3:19pm
Bronze
Bronze

Oh right, I've clearly missed something then as a lot of the stuff I've looked at locally doesn't seem to mention minimum sizes.

I'll go check it out.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 3:26pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

http://otago.fishandgame.org.nz/sites/default/files/OTAGO%20regs%202014-15.pdf

Here you go chief. You were right, only mentions min 450mm on a certain stretch for salmon and anything larger than 400mm on the Nevis. Interesting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 3:36pm
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There is no minimum size for trout generally, except where cliff has pointed out. That being said, I tend to only keep anything > 30cm in salmon, and gill hooked for trout on the rare occasions we go chasing trout/salmon in freshwater. Not really enough for a decent feed on anything smaller.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fuzzy Ellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 4:12pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys. It seems there's no size limit for Southland (where I'd be doing most of the fishing while on trips away) but I'm keen to take off the top, so to speak, rather than contribute to reducing any juvenile stocks so I was keen to get an idea of what folk consider too small to keep (other than only being able to make a fish finger out if it! LOL )

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 5:13pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Fuzzy Ellis Fuzzy Ellis wrote:

Oh right, I've clearly missed something then as a lot of the stuff I've looked at locally doesn't seem to mention minimum sizes.

I'll go check it out.

Cheers

If it does not mention any minimum size then none applies but be careful to note "all other water" meaning that set of regs
covers any water not specified.

Also be aware some water may have a max size & for that reason I have decided to release anything over a metre.

Needless to say has not been a problem to date but still live in hope.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 7:33am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No minimum size for otago. Still 30cm good guide. Too small isn't worth it.
For salmon the bigger the better.