McClay Boats

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smithy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: McClay Boats
    Posted: 20 Aug 2002 at 12:51pm
Smithy View Drop Down
New User
New User

McClays are being built on this side of the ditch by a cousin of the McClays.  I have the opportunity to get into a 585 powered by a 100hp 4-Stroke Yamaha 25" leg.  I was after any of your experiences.  A few of the concerns I have are the size of the live bait tank, the pod setup (not flush with the hull) and if the 100hp is enough grunt for crossing bars.  It is currently spinning a 19" prop which is giving it excellent econonomy figures as is to be expected but I can see myself having to drop to a 17" to carry the loads I can see myself shifting and for acceleration in bar situations. It is on a single axle trailer as well.  Are you running them on duals or singles over there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2002 at 1:13pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smithy...

I have sent an email to McLay boats,to make them aware of your questions...hopefully they will climb onboard and provide feedback!

PS...these Aussies need all the help they can get after their loss to the Bocs over the weekend...heheheh....
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pro Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2002 at 12:07am
Pro Fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Definitely a grey area when it comes to horsepower.

Can't really comment as I don't know specs on current mclay 585. However I do know 4 stroke by design is not as 'peppy' as its cousin the 100 hp 2 stroke...having very linear power band that often falls short up the top end. 4 strokes are great for getting 'outta the hole' (hitting the plane) often out performing 2 strokes in that area -- but for mediocore conditions when you really need that punch to push through swells and waves - I'd have the 2 stroke anyday.

We have a 115 Merc Saltwater pushing along a new 6m figlass and I know it could do with another 15 - 25 horses @ times when we strike those conditions or are stacked up with weight -- never fish!!!!!

Rule of thumb throw on a few more horses - good in the long run, don't need to push it as hard, and as you say safer when you really need that throttle down for bars or to outrun swells -you'll find 4 strokes always another 3 / 4 grand more than their similarly rated cousins.

Try a 115 Merc Saltwater - clocked up 98 hrs now - faultless, and has trolling technology that cuts back too 2 cylinders fro dog leg work like trolling etc.

Out of interest whats the package price?

Light Tackle Weapon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smithy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2002 at 12:48pm
Smithy View Drop Down
New User
New User

Profish,

send me a private e-mail if you want the full details.  It is a good deal so I don't want it plastered across the internet for other people to find out about it.

Smithy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2002 at 3:26pm
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smithy....reply from Mclay Boat:

We do have 585 overhere with Merc 90 4stroke on them. Our clients are using
them with bar crossing , beach launching and carrying heavy loads and these
boats are handling very well. If you have any more queries please visit us
at our website www.mclayboats.co.nz. Thank you.

I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05