10 weight saltwater reel for kings

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 weight saltwater reel for kings
    Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 9:20am
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Righto, what should I get?  

Or do we have old threads covering this ground.

Gonna be targeting them over deep water when they are up around the bait schools in the spring is the idea.

suggestions? Locally bought or imported. Corrosion resistance and reasonable drag  is prob the more important aspects of the reel to me.
I always tell the truth about things that never happened
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 10:36am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Heaps of options out there. If on a budget the Coltons are getting very good reviews for the money. Sage 8010 looks very nice, but might have to sell a child to buy one.

Since you’re going to be targeting them in the deep, I’m assuming from a boat? If so id defiantly staying away from the lightweight options. Amazing how a reel gets knocked around in a boat and iv had more than one good quality "lightweight" reel killed by what seemed like a slight knock on the gunnels. This is where the big old style Tibor's and Able's are fantastic, but once again they aren’t cheap items.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 11:43am
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Like Fraser, says, Coltons are great value for the money. I have two, and love them. They have plenty of capacity in the T911 (Torrent), or you could go up a level to the new Terrapin. 

I actually bought a Terrapin earlier this year, then lost it off my kayak. I decided to replace it with a Torrent, because they feel a lot more robust for use on the rocks, where I do most of my fishing. The Terrapin is lighter and has a sealed drag, plus a few other improvements that don't really bother me.

IMO, the pros of the Coltons are:

Strength
Great drag
Line capacity
Price
Aesthetics- I actually like mine better all scratched up from the rocks. I might not feel the same about an     elegant Nautilus, Loop, Abel etc.
Tool-free L/R hand switchover
Captured release nut on the spool (ie nothing to go bouncing overboard when you remove the spool)
Bob Colton is a great bloke who stands by his products and answers emails himself.

The cons:

You can break them- I somehow managed to smack the handle off one. I don't know how, but guess it was a pretty solid impact, as a tough little screw had sheared. Bob sent me a new handle no worries, except that the postage was US$38.

The outgoing drag clicker is very quiet, so you don't get a screaming reel when the king runs. 

No schematics diagram.

They sink when dropped off a kayak!

Good luck deciding, 

Tom

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 12:27pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yes it'll be off a boat. Should have plenty of room to play in.

Those Coltons look good, just a had a gander at the site. Trying to avoid spending telephone numbers, but mid range is fine. Im generally not kind to gear so robustness is a big plus.  :)

the SAGE 8000 is not really what I want to spend, but ya never know.....  SHINY!

Bit of internet sifting and I looked at a Galvan torque reel too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 12:41pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have you considered the Hatch finatic?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 1:11pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hatch, Tibor or Abel - good deals for second hand ones on Ebay.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 1:33pm
desmofrankie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Been spending heaps of time researching 10wt reels for my own use lately!
Agreed about the Colton, and personally I love the idea of buying straight from the guys who make it.
Beside that for the really budget conscious end of the problem the Orvis Hydros seems to be an absolute steal. You probably have to import it though.

I agree with you about the Galvan!! 
I'm currently hesitating between that and an other Lamson Speedster (I'm a weight freak, some will disagree but that's me)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 1:39pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

See if you can find a second hand Shilton.

For that deep boat work and some gruelling pump and winds on big kings you probably can't find a tougher machine.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 1:43pm
Platinum
Platinum

Oh forgot to mention, a reel that might be of interest is the Elkhorn T4? Iv got one,  and its a tank of a reel with an amazing drag system! Cheap as chips too! Not a lightweight but a serious reel that’s defiantly up to taking on kingies!

Defiantly a contender for those who are budget restricted.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 2:09pm
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whats the best combo option for land based kingie on fly??
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 2:09pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can add Islander 4.5 to the list.LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 3:10pm
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sabin, for the rod I'd go Redington Predator 12wt. For price, backbone, weight and castability it's almost unbeatable.
Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 3:17pm
Platinum
Platinum

Excellent!

Now here's me thinking such a thread might give me some benefit of all you swoffers advice and narrow down what to look at.

HAHAHAHAHA!

More Reels to look at than koheru charging around the mokes.

Thanks guys.

(I think :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 3:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

Sorry Sid, us flyfishermen are all tackle whores. Id done pretty much every form of conventional fishing, and I needed an excuse to buy more tackle so to swap to fly-fishing! LOL 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 4:15pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/fishing/salt-water/other/auction-759934149.htm

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 5:18pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FLYbyNITE FLYbyNITE wrote:

Sabin, for the rod I'd go Redington Predator 12wt. For price, backbone, weight and castability it's almost unbeatable.

+1.

Seen the 11wt Redington Predator on action on a 40lb king.  Killer rod, imagine the 12wt would be even more hurt.

Here is that rod in action [below]

And that fish (in case you'all forgotten about it Tongue)

Or, a Sage xi3 if you can find one. Now the Sage Salt is out, you may get a xi3 cheaper. Great rods for boat work lifting big fish.

Originally posted by kingfishers kingfishers wrote:

Whats the best combo option for land based kingie on fly??

10wt Redington Vapen Red does well on kings. One very strong rod. I've had mine bent over like a staple thinking it would end up a two piece and it never broke. The Vapen Black is the same rod, just looks way cooler. Can cast that 10wt all day long.

Spend more on the rod than the reel IMHO. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 6:02pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yep Sage Xi3 on special now , 30% off at Rod and Reel anyhow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 6:20pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Saw them on trademe at $800, thought that seemed quite cheap (relatively).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 6:42pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not exactly 10wt, but 'Yellowstone Angler' have done a '2014 Reel Review' interesting reading.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 8:20pm
Platinum
Platinum

That's the review that got me looking at a galvan ;)
Page  123 4>