Decent Sea Sickness remedies in Auckland?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decent Sea Sickness remedies in Auckland?
    Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 3:00pm
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Guys,

Anyone know where to get some decent Sea Sickness remedies in Auckland that are reasonable priced?

We have been buying Kwells for sometime now but I can no longer import them from Australia. The websites don't seem to like sending to NZ anymore

The pharmacy in Takapuna make some with the same ingredient and Kwells but they are twice the price ($20 for 10)

Cheers Alex.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 3:53pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Send a PM to Tightlines2 - he is the resident chemist on here and can advise on what is available.
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 4:34pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

$20 for 10 is cheaper than a ruined day fishing,once your sick your days shot
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 4:37pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Honestly, sucking a piece of crystalline ginger really works. Can be found in the baking section of any supermarket.
Tried it out on a real sick chops relative from Austria who got sick on ANY form of transport and she was great for the rest of her stay
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 5:03pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try those anti motion sickness wrist bands......heard a few people like those.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 5:17pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ginger,wristbands,,ginger nut biscuits,1 ear plug.....theres 2 things that ill gauruntee work,this from my experience with sea sickness at places like the 3 kings and ranfurly and trying pretty much everything.even a wristband that shocks you with a small amount of electricity every few minutes
(Tight lines 2 sea sick remedy did work at the 3 kings for me but the patch kept comming off my dirty neck.)

1. Use paihia bombers

2. Stay on land

If you get sea sick dont take chances,take a tried and proven remedy
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 5:59pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have had a few out on the boat ranging from cmild to cronic suffereers.
Cronic, a guy in his 50s been sea sick since a kid...just standing on the dock gets quesy.
Now hes a regular out on the boat...
My instructions based on info here and experience of others over the decades

1/ Take what ever sea sick tablet u like, as per instructions the NIGHT before
2/ Take out Crystallized ginger to munch on... no normal sugar type junk lollies
3/ Take out Bundiburg ginger beer to drink...we take diet .....other brands either are made of powder ginger not fully dissolved with bad after taste or ginger flavour
4/Dont spend a lot of time looking down, enjoy the ocean and whats around u

This simple formula be it chronic suffers or mild has yet to fail.....rather the opposite.
2nd time out our chronic suffer came out, dawn start, after a storm with big swell coming down the gulf , and we spent the whole day outside Shag/ gannet.
Other m8 and I where looking at each other all day, watching our cronic sufferer...did sa anything till back on dry land towing the boat home.
The only time he felt quesy was dropping the long line and picking up because the fuel fumes coming back into the boat....which we ALL noticed and killed the engine for a while.

He now wants to give the formula another couple goes , forget the tablets and just go for the ginger parts.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CoastalStan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 6:10pm
CoastalStan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Steps is onto it, my wife is a bit tender and just takes gingernut biscuits to chew on, a bottle of cold ginger beer is a miracle worker.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 6:53pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Cronic, a guy in his 50s been sea sick since a kid...just standing on the dock gets quesy.

2/ Take out Crystallized ginger to munch on... no normal sugar type junk lollies
3/ Take out Bundiburg ginger beer to drink...we take diet .....other brands either are made of powder ginger not fully dissolved with bad after taste or ginger flavour

This simple formula be it chronic suffers or mild has yet to fail.....rather the opposite.
2nd time out our chronic suffer came out, dawn start, after a storm with big swell coming down the gulf , and we spent the whole day outside Shag/ gannet.
Other m8 and I where looking at each other all day, watching our cronic sufferer...did sa anything till back on dry land towing the boat home.
The only time he felt quesy was dropping the long line and picking up because the fuel fumes coming back into the boat....which we ALL noticed and killed the engine for a while.

He now wants to give the formula another couple goes , forget the tablets and just go for the ginger parts.

Good advice about looking up ,fixing your eyes on something like land or a cloud works well
Get your gear ready before you go so your not looking down tying knots.
Also the motor fumes can make people sick real quick ..
Ive seen a guy spend 5 days in his bunk,never wet a line,horrible feeling
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 6:53pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sealegs work for me. A couple the afternoon before then another in the morning before you go out. Really important to get whatever chemicals are in them in to your system before you go out. No good taking them the morning of your fishing day, when you spew over the side it tastes disgusting. The Paihia ones are awesome as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 7:28pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tried everything out there and nausicalm tablets work best for me without the drowsy side effect. Not a buy off the shelf product so ask your chemist as they will need to take your details before supplying you.from memory about $1.20 a dose.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 8:58am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Really important to get whatever chemicals are in them in to your system before you go out. No good taking them the morning of your fishing day,"

Thats Critical....if the forgot the night before, leave them at the ramp.. their mistake.. sort of go fishing and forget the fishing gear...or boat

I recon put anyone into seas (weather / swells) they are not familiar with and they will get sick, usually, very sick...
We are lucky, non of our family get squeamish,......even when chops up a little... and chops up a little I mean that in relation to a 54/ 6m cabin boat, and not getting a little scarry.. we avoid being stupid enough to go out in scarry stuff... even been know to get to the ramp, untie the boat, then head home... with the boat lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 9:10am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Dunwurkn Dunwurkn wrote:

Tried everything out there and nausicalm tablets work best for me without the drowsy side effect. Not a buy off the shelf product so ask your chemist as they will need to take your details before supplying you.from memory about $1.20 a dose.
Yeah they work well for me too.  TL2 on here put me onto them when I found the Paihia Bombs were no longer working for me - there was something in the bombs which the powers-that-be decided should be on the not-approved list so that forced a change to the recipe. I take one tablet a couple of hours before heading out and carry another dose with me "just in case" because nausicalm are really only effective for around 6 hours per dose.  Generally the one dose is sufficient to keep me on an even keel (most of the time).......
Nausicalm is one of the drugs used to control nausea after a patient has had a general anaesthetic so is well proven.  It is also sometimes used to help control morning sickness suffered by women in early stages of pregnancy, so good stuff indeed.
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 5:17pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Really important to get whatever chemicals are in them in to your
system before you go out. No good taking them the morning of your
fishing day
,"

Thats Critical....if the forgot the night before, leave them at the ramp.. their mistake.. sort of go fishing and forget the fishing gear...or boat

I recon put anyone into seas (weather / swells) they are not familiar with and they will get sick, usually, very sick...
We are lucky, non of our family get squeamish,......even when chops up a little... and chops up a little I mean that in relation to a 54/ 6m cabin boat, and not getting a little scarry.. we avoid being stupid enough to go out in scarry stuff... even been know to get to the ramp, untie the boat, then head home... with the boat lol

Big Swells are the killer ...
Paihia bombers are sweet taken one hour before travell,only change I make is take them every 12 hours instead of 24
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 8:44pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Olfart Olfart wrote:

Originally posted by Dunwurkn Dunwurkn wrote:

Yeah they work well for me too.  TL2 on here put me onto them when I found the Paihia Bombs were no longer working for me - there was something in the bombs which the powers-that-be decided should be on the not-approved list so that forced a change to the recipe. I take one tablet a couple of hours before heading out and carry another dose with me "just in case" because nausicalm are really only effective for around 6 hours per dose.  Generally the one dose is sufficient to keep me on an even keel (most of the time).......
Nausicalm is one of the drugs used to control nausea after a patient has had a general anaesthetic so is well proven.  It is also sometimes used to help control morning sickness suffered by women in early stages of pregnancy, so good stuff indeed.

Mechanism of motion sickness quite different to other types of nausea (such as post-surgical or chemotherapy induced nausea) so drugs that work for other types of nausea won't necessarily work for motion sickness. For example one of the best antiemetics for chemotherapy (ondansetron ) doesn't work a damn for motion sickness (but is great for really rough hangovers!)
Ps: not saying it can't work for both but most don't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexFyssher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 10:00pm
AlexFyssher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys. Should've got something before the weekend. The trip to Barrier on Friday wasn't very pleasant for any of us.....

Can you get Paihia Bombs in Auckland and what are they worth?

Will try the Nausicalm also.

Don't really get sick personally but Friday was def an exception... big swell, and unfamiliar boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 11:01pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ring the pahia pharmacy if you want pahia bombs they courier them to you no problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014 at 11:36pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Las time I brought them it was $35 delivered ,pretty shure that was 20 doses,think they do 10 doses as well ,pay via credit card they turn up next day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 6:09am
Titanium
Titanium

I went up north one time with funandfucntion(mike) and we went out with a guy on his boat.....it was a bit rough but i had a piece of toast with peanut butter/ginger squirted through a garlic press/ and honey on it.....these guys were worried if i was ok but i was having a whale of a time riding the waves......didnt even feel a sweat coming on.
on another day....i went out with mike on his boat and i had crunchy nut cornflakes for breakfast with full fat milk......it wasnt very rough but the looking down bit and i felt bad very quickly........i couldnt believe how quickly it all happened and as i berlied the kings turned up(once that was gone i felt much betterBig smile)......i have since read that dairy products are bad news for this sort of thing...........things that aggravate=
1.Lack of sleep
2.Dairy products
3.Looking down
4.Coffee
5.petrol fumes.
6.over heating

things that help
1.Eat raw ginger on toast with peanut butter/honey.
2.Stay away from second hand smoke.
3.Fighting a fish.
4.Get good sleep the night before.
5,Acupressure wrist bands.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 6:15am
Titanium
Titanium

Thats what i call considerate matesThumbs Up
Page  12>