surfcasting at matata

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: surfcasting at matata
    Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 12:21pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

going for a night fish, surf casting at spot x on the matata straights sat night. this wild weathers meant to be calming down around midnight so guna fish from then through til it gets light sunday morning. that way will fish the whole incoming tide.  it'l will be the first time the wind and swell has dropped since this weather started so hopefully the fish will be feeding hard on everything that will have been stirred up. worst case if the waether doest calm down completly will have the 4wd to shelter in. anyway my question is has anyone else been surfcasting at night in that area in the last 2-3 weeks? and if so how did u get on? i know it slows down in numbers of snapper at this time of the year but the average size goes up. will post a report when i get back as to how i get on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 12:23pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good luck. let us know how you get on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 8:31pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'd check this forecast first and with a week of North easterlies pounding the area the weed could be a bit of a challenge, full moon's up also. Id give it a few days, let the southerly do its thing and the moon wane and come up a bit later, thinking about a winter trip myself, when its right....
http://www.swellmap.com/surfing/new-zealand/matata
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 10:54am
Platinum
Platinum

ive been watching the forecast all week haha.to many of the boys taken time off. has to be this weekend. i agree conditions wont be perfect but it'l be fishable. end of the day gotta have a bait in the water to catch the fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 7:28pm
whippersnapper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm itching to get out but I don't like the idea of casting a bait into 2-3m crashing waves for hours on end re-baiting every 2 mins (in the rain at that)....I'll stay clear of the coast for a while. Prob still get into the harbour this weekend, as I said, I'm itching.

Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Biggun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 7:03am
Biggun View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mate very keen to hear how anyone is doing at Matata at the moment!! I,ve been itching to get over too but everytime I get time off the sea is rough asCry!!! Keep in touch!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 7:47am
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

40knot on shore with a swell predicted up to 4metres tonight and still waiting for the rain!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 8:18am
Platinum
Platinum

the spot we fish is a big hole caused by a reasonable sized stream so the hole is pretty much permanant so even when the swells up because the hole is nice and big and deep its fishable even in a pretty rough swell. it'd say if anything causes us issues it will be floating weed but i find thats usually only right in the first couple of breakers. if you can get past them which is easy then its not to bad.  fish with a lumo needlefish skirt and even if it gets a bit off weed on it, it'l hopefully glow enough that the fish will still find it even if it does get a bit of weed stuck to it. rain doesnt worry me, always end up wet surfcasting anyway and will have the 4wd to hide in if it gets real nasty. the winds forecast to drop sometime after midnight tonight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Biggun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 12:30pm
Biggun View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey how did it go??? Manage to keep bait in the water?? It stopped blowing completely in Rotas around midnight and awesome morning this morning!! Hope you managed to check it out !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 10:43am
Platinum
Platinum

All my pussy mates pulled out at last minute coz it was raining to much and although im known for doing slight crazy(stupid) things at times i wasnt game to be driving down that beach at night by myself. theres to much soft sand and ul never get out by yourself if you get stuck. guna try again in a couple of weeks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Biggun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2014 at 9:11pm
Biggun View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nothing worse than having wowsers for mates ay!! Barry Crump would be rolling in his grave!! Were's all the good keen men when you need them!LOLBeer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Biggun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 6:39am
Biggun View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Saturday night! Tides high at 1810, sea's flat snapper are waiting!!! I'll inform everyone of the outcome!Smile