Some fishing assistance

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NewToFishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some fishing assistance
    Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 9:32pm
NewToFishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys!

Just found out about this great forum and I thought I might just post some of my fishing questions here. I am a really a beginner to fishing and I just want to gather as much info as I can before I set out for my 2nd fishing attempt.

1. I have a spinning reel rod given to my by a good friend and I have no idea how to connect another fishing line to its existing loop. I have inserted a picture to help you understand.  https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpHWa5kIQAAEO2o.jpg
As you can see theres already a loop so how am I suppose to attach another line with the hooks, swivels and sinkers?

2. Next question, I am looking to do some pier/rock/wharf fishing as it is much cheaper so do I need a sinker? and do I need to cast the rod to fish? Sorry for asking silly questions but I really want to know.

3. I am looking to fish under the auckland harbour bridge so what kind of bait do I need? 

I think thats all but if guys have any tips or hints for me please don't hesitate to get them down here. Thanks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NewToFishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 9:35pm
Bronze
Bronze

Apologies photo of my spinning rod is here

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 10:25pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

No such thing as a silly question in this forum NtF and welcome to fishing.net.

You could attach a swivel to that loop but I suggest you learn to tie a uniknot to attach the line to your swivel. If you simply learn how to attach a swivel and you get busted off you need to know how to start from scratch. Have a look at the sticky topics in this forum for how to tie a uniknot

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/knots-for-mono_topic67548.html

Generally you do need a sinker for wharf fishing, the weight depends on the depth and the current. One to three ounces would be a good start depending on the location.

For under the harbour bridge in Auckland try a small piece of squid for bait.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 10:33pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

welcome aboard NewToFishing,

on closer inspection the line on your reel looks like braid,
without getting to complicated i would say a nylon trace: "Shock leader" for when casting to take the load of the sinker,
it is a section of Nylon of around 10/15kg to act as a shock leader plus to attach hook and sinker,
because the line is a different make/type from the shock leader you will need a knot to attach them,
i recommend for starters something like this one which will attach to your already made loop,

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 10:58pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I often go fishn beside the bridge  if I have a cupla hrs during the week. I use a $30 reel on a 3.6mtr stick and carry my gear and icebox with me all the time. I predominatly use salted squid as its easy and tidy to carry.........cheersThumbs Up....I hear that Kahawhai are abundant off the dock where Sanfords tie up at Wynyard quarter also Rays so beware.Wink
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NewToFishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 9:57pm
Bronze
Bronze

Guys thank you so much! I would go for the Uni Knot and the Braid to trace knot. Whao I guess salted squids will do the trick. Another question, where do you think would be the best place to get these baits? or do I just simply get them off the supermarket? 

Also, is it good to tie like two swivels on separate loops to my already made loop? I seen it sometimes. Some people just have two hooks on a line (With two loops). What do you guys think?

Last thing, do i tie the sinker separately or with the swivel on the same loop? 

Thanks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 10:16pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Edmund, can I suggest you get together with other fishermen who do the type of fishing you want to do & one or more tackle stores. We can advise you on how to do things you are asking about but being alongside an experienced fisho & checking out all the different tackle you can find in stores will get you sorted quicker.
Good luck with your fishing mate. Pete
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 10:16pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Numerous bait places ie; Top Catch....FCO........smart Marine......Burnsco........W S Laurie........Wink
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NewToFishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 10:37pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Pete, 

Thanks for the advice problem is I do not know anyone that is a pro fisher haha. The only one I know is in Hamilton. I will try to disturb the people around at the harbour bridge can i?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 7:34am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by NewToFishing NewToFishing wrote:

Hi Pete, 

Thanks for the advice problem is I do not know anyone that is a pro fisher haha. The only one I know is in Hamilton. I will try to disturb the people around at the harbour bridge can i?

That's the one mate. Most fishos will be happy to show you what they do & pass on their knowledge.
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NewToFishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 9:54am
Bronze
Bronze

Btw do I need to cast my rod when I am doing wharf/rock fishing? what is the best way to do it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A LOAF OF BREAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 1:10pm
A LOAF OF BREAD View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

undefined

The invisable fisherman Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aaronnco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 11:49pm
aaronnco View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi NewToFishing,

Fishing of the wharf is how I first learnt to fish before I bought my first boat.  It teaches you so much about the basics of fishing such as baiting up, casting and knot tieing.  And it also builds up your commitment to learn to fish. Under the harbour bridge is a spot I used to go to often.  Watch out as you move further along left of the bridge towards of the end of the fishing zone there is a foul patch and you will get snagged up and loose heaps of gear. 

I remember when I upgraded from my 7ft rod to a 13ft surfcaster rod, I drove out to some Wop's in the northshore and bought a surf rod and by that time it was dark, I was so happy I drove down to the harbour bridge and heaps of fellas were there so I was forced down to the very far left.  The longer surf rods let you cast out way further and I got snagged and lost all my sinkers that time but the fact I got to cast and fish made my night.

A few good landbased spots in AKL central:
- Harbour bridge
- Tank farm (down by the wynyard)
-Okahu wharf
-Birkenhead wharf (on the otherside of the bridge)

to keep it simple i recommend using a running rig with breakaway sinker. This diagram shows the use of a tear drop sinker, but replace with a breakaway sinker so that it grapples the ground and holds tight.  You can mix things up also try a ledger rig.

No doubt you will meet local fishos when fishing of the wharf because once in a while your lines will tangle up and its a good chance to talk to other fishos for advice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jabba400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 10:53am
Jabba400 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I use a similar rig for surfcasting, but with the sinker clipped to the swivel (so i can swap weights / styles) and with a double hook on the line (main hook through the bait and set for hooking up, second (sliding) hook to keep bait facing right way. 

Couple of fluoro beads as well for a bit of interest around change of light.

Take a few sets of hooks already tied to swivels (maybe even baited up) in small zip lock bags.  Stops them from tangling each other up, and you can swap out easily if you either a) catch something b) break off a hook or c) decide to try something different.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 11:00am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Newtofishing - I work 3 minutes from the harbour bridge. If you are fishing there when I at work I will happily pop down for a couple of minutes and go over some knots, techniques etc.