Trailer Extension Hitch - Ideas?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 4:09pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by EarlyRiser EarlyRiser wrote:

Is there any reason why the extension can't be sleeved with a securing pin rather than hinged?  This would save having two tow couplings etc.  Trailer would always be attached to vehicle so no run aways. 

I think that is what Catchit is referring too.  That's the system I've seen in use but only allowed about 1.2m extension.

I've also seen a very basic solution which was a piece of RHS steel about 3m long with a tow ball welded to one end and a coupling to the other.  Still has the problem that you have to unhitch and rehitch, and seemed to take a bit of skill to reverse with.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EarlyRiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 4:19pm
EarlyRiser View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Catchit Catchit wrote:

G,day Johnny, I have a very similar thing to your photo on my trailer except it is the main drawbar which is pinned. Remove the pin, extend the bar and re-pin at the desired length. very simple and can put up photos if you want..

Sorry Catchit, just what I had in mind, any confirmation on regulations re pin size, draw bar length?  Would be very keen to see a pic of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 4:26pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep that was my thinking reading down posts
And with sleeved one then also has the option of pinning at different lengths if need be
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 5:28pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

None of the draw bars mentioned or in the pics are long enough to keep a car or even a 4x4 out of the water,I beach launch 90% of the time,low tide and waves dont mix on most beaches...
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnybegood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 5:48pm
johnybegood View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey of2fsh - as an example, I launch at army bay a lot. At high tide, I can get the boat in now problems, without the car getting wet. Last time I was there, had the trailer been 1.5 -  2m further back, then it would have stayed perfectly dry.

I agree that at most other beaches, which are really shallow; unhooking and running it into the water can work really well. This is more a, get something built and it's there if the situation calls for it to preserve the car...

As an aside, i've drawn up some basic ideas with some galvanized steel framing sizes I found online/in auckland.

I'm thinking of adding the idea of a spare wheel holder/beach launching tyre onto the side (hence that square box on the side) - it's still early days yet though!

I just want to jig
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EarlyRiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 6:08pm
Silver
Silver

Sliding extension bar adding 1-2m would cover 80% of my needs. Like the jockey/spare wheel combo for the rest.
How about the winch/post being attached to ball end of bar for retrieval, once locking pin removed, you could winch trailer with boat on it back into position and lock with out having to chock the trailer and back down on it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 7:13pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wound look at mounting a pull out extension under the existing draw bar then you can make it longer and not run into problems at wof time. I like your drawings but the draw bar you have drawer with the mounting plate on the top, I would weld this plate on the bottom of the box section, this will give you room to mount the coupling so when you push it back under the existing draw bar it will have plenty off room to fit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EarlyRiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 8:19pm
Silver
Silver

Any ideas what the issues/regs could be?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 8:36pm
Catchit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by johnybegood johnybegood wrote:

Completely agree Kevin!,
Catchit's sounds brilliant! - would you be able to throw up some pics mate?

having looked at my trailer, I don't think I could modify it to have a single link, so will probably need to bolt this one on underneath

no worries, tomorrow morning.
"We gave Sir Peter a knighthood," Mr Key said, "And if we could give him a second one, we would."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 9:43pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by johnybegood johnybegood wrote:

Hey of2fsh - as an example, I launch at army bay a lot. At high tide, I can get the boat in now problems, without the car getting wet. Last time I was there, had the trailer been 1.5 -  2m further back, then it would have stayed perfectly dry.

I agree that at most other beaches, which are really shallow; unhooking and running it into the water can work really well. This is more a, get something built and it's there if the situation calls for it to preserve the car...

As an aside, i've drawn up some basic ideas with some galvanized steel framing sizes I found online/in auckland.

I'm thinking of adding the idea of a spare wheel holder/beach launching tyre onto the side (hence that square box on the side) - it's still early days yet though!

Yep gotcha,used to launch there a lot,use hatfields now ,guess you have to weigh up tne cost vs use side of things as well,good luck
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 8:35am
Catchit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The drawbar is 80mm x 80mm, the total length is 4.5 mtrs long, the first pin (where I tow) is 1.2mtrs.
It has 2 more pin holes for adjustment.

Boat is quite heavy but Ive never had any issues launching/retrieving when Ive extended the drawbar.

cheers.

"We gave Sir Peter a knighthood," Mr Key said, "And if we could give him a second one, we would."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 4:48pm
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bearing in mind the requirement for any trailer over 750Kg to be braked, you will need to be pretty careful how you go about setting up any extending hitch and still allow braking systems to work.

Also, it doesn't take much to knock a boat and trailer over 750Kg...

That said, the separate extension bar is fairly easy to achieve and be easy to use with it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 5:22pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The rules say that a trailer doesn't require brakes unless it is 2000KG or over. But you do need to be able to stop from 30kmh in less than 7m though, so a smaller car would probably need a braked trailer at less than 2000kg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 9:46am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep a braked trailer could be an issue....which goes back to that folding design a few posts back, and have that as suggested as extendable.
Another issue is the load on the drawbar (bend) so other issues like  is the trailer duel axle, how the load is balanced on the trailer and the feasibility of using the jockey wheel to take front load ... and how that may effect going over a ridge or speed hump.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 11:11am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Problem is on my trailer I would only get an extension of 1.5mtrs using a fold out one. Which would be to short for army bay, tindalls and manly where I normally launch. So a 3 mtr long take on and off extension would be the best, I could hook it up under my trailer and lock it on when towing and at the ramp in case these any tea leafs around. Could also leave it at home when not needed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 2:29pm
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

The rules say that a trailer doesn't require brakes unless it is 2000KG or over. But you do need to be able to stop from 30kmh in less than 7m though, so a smaller car would probably need a braked trailer at less than 2000kg.

Yeah, brake rule 32014 does say that but the standard for towing connection ratings on light vehicles appears to suggest 750Kg max unbraked towing weight.  If you are the insurance company about to pay out what are you going to be quoting as the relevant rule (given that your otherwise-compliant 1999Kg unbraked trailer didn't get there by itself)?
Page  <12