Kahawai Thread

Page  <1 16171819>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 4:27pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Landed my first trevally on fly today out of Russell with Fishman and son.

Coincidentally with same rod I lost my first trevally on about 20 years ago at Wenderholm - it's been a long time!

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 5:43pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Larry's 8 pound kahawai caught in Tauranga Harbour on 29 August 2019. It's bigger than any kahawai that I have caught in recent years. Larry was test fishing the latest rod and reel from Maxcatch New Zealand, a Sky High Gold #6 rod and a Sparta Expert 5/7 weight reel. A bloody big kahawai that had Larry well into the backing. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 7:59pm
Gold
Gold

Well done Wolfie. Trevors are very special on the fly rod. They love current and structure which is why bridges can be a hot spot for them. Hope to see you down this way again. Cheers
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 9:51pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Two awesome captures! I really must get out asap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 6:53am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That's an excellent kahawai alright The fact that kahawai like that are now rare inshore is very sad. That fish there represents what could be a massive boost to NZ fishing tourism, not to mention the nutrition it delivers to small communties all around New Zealand and the young fishing addicts it creates in the process (I know because I was one ). Instead we allow large fishing companies to grind them up for cat food - or whatever they do with them    . Total sacrilege!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 9:27am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Out of interest.. do you know the length?
 My wifes 1st fish was 76/75cm KY on 2nd hand (free) old light rod and very early bait runner reel.
Was our 1st trip out in the boat and I had not fished for near on 45yrs, so unfortunately the size did not surprise me at the time.
 The measure was 'estimated as the chilly bin was 75cm long and the tail curled up the side, so more than likely a little longer maybe?

Ever since she has fallen in love with KY on light gear...and for the smoker...fish pie, cakes etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 10:09am
Gold
Gold

Yeah Craig, your views are the same as mine. Even amongst some recreational anglers, there is a disrespect for the them. Nine out of ten anglers don't even know how to pronounce kahawai. It really p..... me off seeing the purse seine rape boats heading out of the harbour to do their deed on the surface schools offshore for a return of what - $1.63 a kilo. Senseless bull****.

Steps, unfortunately I didn't get a length but I would imagine it to be in the mid 60s.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 10:17am
Gold
Gold

Steps, your wife's kahawai could very well be the Kermadec kahawai, a separate species. Craig would have a better idea. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 10:39am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was caught At anchor, incoming tide, bottom end of Waiheke, approx 1/3 way from Pakatoa to Shag rock.
 At the time a couple guys where SB ing the drifting past in talking distance I had a good KY at the time also, wife panking "help help" laughing .. Im "Sry kind busy myself"
And they thought was a huge joke...P1ssing themselves Thumbs Up
 About 8 or 9 yrs ago. late afternoon.
 Wonder if anyone remmbers this?
 long shot
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 11:00am
Gold
Gold

Can you remember what time of the year Steps? My understanding is that the Kermadec kahawai show up when the water is warmest, mid to late summer and early autumn. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 11:41am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have looked at that 8lb Kahawai time & again. What an outstanding fish . Great to see.
Takes me back into another time. As a kid used to love catching Kahawai. Very light spinning gear back then,4lb-8 lb  mono. The best Kahawai weighed went 8 and a half lb. 8lbers ,though by no means common often  featured in the catch. Normal size 4-6 lb. Used a small slimy mackeral ,drifting as bait. This was Wellington Harbour and wellington West Coast.
So what has happened to those big Kahawai. They are found in no where the numbers they once were.

Noticed a general increase in Kahawai numbers in the inner gulf in recent years. until 3 years back. Suddenly those big Autumn schools i had come to expect were no more. Last Autumn i saw none ,and i travelled mile after mile on many occasion searching for them.
So  what has happened. Are they being purse seined again or have they for some seasonal reasons followed a different path.
For me if the choice was snapper or fishing near a Kahawai workup,Kahawai would win the choice.

Re kermadec Kahawai. What are the noticeable points of difference compared to other kahawai.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 11:58am
Gold
Gold

No doubt Craig will be able to answer you Cirrus, I have never seen or caught a Kermadec kahawai. In 1970s, eight pound kahawai were a reasonably common catch for recreational anglers in South Westland and I caught many in the Okuru Estuary, the Arawhata River mouth and the lower Hollyford River, between Lake McKerrow and the sea. During the 1970s, the South Island's major river mouths on the eastern side also produced these monster kahawai. Even nowadays, South Island kahawai tend to be bigger than the present Bay of Plenty fish. Cheers  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 12:57pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

A Kermadec kahawai is an overall light grey and doesn't have the distinct spots that our mainland kahawai have. The spots it does have will be indistinct and smudgy on a steely grey background. They do not have any trace of yellow in their pectoral fin, it is a slate grey colour. Their tails are larger with a pronounced whiteness to the leading edge and a distinct dark edge on the back of the tail. Overall they are slightly deeper bodied towards the anal fin. They are noticeably different when you see them side by side with a normal kahawai.

Step's fish was probably the common variety, but I'd have to see a photo to really be able to tell.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 1:01pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Fishman. Will note those differences and be on the lookout.
Wonder if Kermedac even reach the gulf though.
Anyone else noted the demise of the Autumn workups of even a couple of years back. Is it just me seeing this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 1:49pm
Gold
Gold

Yes Cirrus, I have noticed a decline of kahawai both in the Tauranga Harbour and outside. We still see surface schools at Okapara, Brewis, Schooner, Astrolabe and Penguin, but not like they were in past years. Even the surface kahawai  inside the harbour entrance, while they still can be found there, they are not in the numbers they used to be. Kingfish on the Tauranga Harbour flats are also declining, seems to be the way our sports fisheries go. The eagle ray population is still healthy in my opinion. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 2:03pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So its not just me. Where are they.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 3:29pm
Gold
Gold

Cirrus - private message sent. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 3:39pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes you guys are right where were the kahawai last Autumn?

As for big Kahawai you couldn't go past the mounted one at Hunty's old shop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:53am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can you remember what time of the year Steps? My understanding is that the Kermadec kahawai show up when the water is warmest, mid to late summer and early autumn. Cheers

Damn dont spend much time on internet  and only once occasional 2x a day.. so the posts mount up between mine.

It would have been mid to late April...started making historical records couple trips after that one
 Records since then show same range  water temps around there now are may...

We have fished bottom end constantly all yr round  between 26 and 34 trips per yr since then.
 Was about 2 yrs after that KY the KY and bait fish schools disappeared.
 There was one big KY school from nth end hooks right down to top Waiheke channel.. solid for around 5 to 6 hrs (we stayed out that evening in Anita bay).
 And since then only a few small boil ups on the inside of Waiheke channel and inside the islands around slack tides.
 I have commented on drop off of KY and bait fish in older threads over the yrs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 11:23am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Drop off in baitfish.??
Page  <1 16171819>