Kahawai Thread

Page  <12345 19>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 11:50am
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Millsy Millsy wrote:

J
Failing tide. Has to be falling so the kahawai can push the bait into the shallows. Of course the bait doesn't want to be there cause it might get stranded so it heads back out again only to be chased back in again. This repeats itself for a good couple of hours in most places. It is the common ambush theory.
Get into it.

You are on to something there Millsy.

Went for a paddle on Kawhia harbour this morning with the outgoing. Despite all the bars still being covered by 6" to a foot of water there was one small area that had Kahawai work ups concentrated in it.  Because of the water level I couldn't see why they were only in that area until I landed and checked my GPS.  As per the screen shot below where the yellow blob is on my track (from paddling round in circles) it was a blind channel and the Kahawai were blocking their exit. Despite the surrounding area still being covered with water, the bait fish DID NOT want to head into the shallows. 

Only managed to catch one on the fly but still good to know somewhere I can head to next time I escape the camp.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 6:48pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Likely in those type of spots what you get is a strong current that push the bait up onto the leading edge of a bank where the kahawai pick them off in schools. Those swirly, eddy looking parts. Look at it like you might a large river and fish it the same.

The Huia banks would be similar to the situation you were in. At slack tide (low or high) the bait can get down and find shelter. Once the tide runs they are at the mercy of the current which will push them to the surface on those currents that hit the leading edge of banks. When the tide gets near low they will find themselves in the eddy's at the rear of the banks but the kahawai sit under the tide and look up at the feast coming over the top. Been that way since Adman was a boy. 

Nice looking spot. Similar to many spots I have here.

Need to add this recipe tip here also

There is more to kahawai than just smoking them. Filleting them and fry in butter. Use this rub, its mean on fresh kahawai. Under-rated as a table fish.

Olive oil, above rub, salt and flour then fry in butter. Boom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 8:40am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, the places you get regular kahawai action are a bit like current based kingfish spots, but on a smaller scale.

I've got one sweet spot at the moment that is producing sight fished bait smashing kahawai in the two plus kilo range. It is a corner created by a private ramp and small jetty. There is also a sea wall. Just on the start of the incoming tide the kahawai are cruising this area over an adjacent sand flat about a metre deep and trapping bait against the sea wall and ramp. It's easy spotting off the sea wall, but you have to stand very still otherwise they'll spook. Once they're spotted I creep backwards then cast at them from behind the cover provided by a small pohutakawa. Great fun! Especially on the six weight.

Went there yesterday and there were two fat black-back gulls standing by the water- just waiting. You know its a good spot when these guys are willing to stand there for several days waiting for a free meal.

Apart from this little bright spot though, my local inshore fishing has been appallingly bad. It is a complete reversal on the excellent autumn fishing I enjoyed in these spots last year. Fishing always keeps you guessing and scratching your head I suppose.

The kahawai have been a real gift in this regard. A wonderful species.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 5:54pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You need to move south Craig.

Tried out a new fly this evening. Pretty little bait fish imitation. Just what the doctor ordered for the inshore fishing I am getting currently.

Tied it on to 4kg tippet with the Leftys Loop, attached to the TCX 7wt and headed for some likely looking shoreline on the last of the outgoing. 

It is a light fly and is quite buoyant so it sits in the top 1ft of the water column. Perfect for surface feeding kahawai and also sits above the red weed that lurks just under the first foot of water. Also means it misses catching on kelp and rocks as it gets retrieved through that danger zone where the bait fish hide. Has a nice action too and looks very much like a bait fish indeed.

Couple of casts over the lip of a kelpy rock ledge into a meter of water and a swirl behind the fly instantly. Promising.

Next cast and bang! All on for young an old.

Kahawai no.1 landed and released. Hooked right in the corner of the mouth and head first. 

Perfect. 

Managed another few kahawai before I had to head home to get the fire going. Cooling down now for sure.

Think I will be getting a few more of these. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swoffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 5:59pm
swoffer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wow Millsy, that didn't take long to test it out. Like the idea of the fly staying up in the water, above the weed...the big problem with Clouser type flies. Well done!
"The more people I meet, the more I love my dog......"

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 6:15pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have you guys tried using the foam rod fly for Kahawai? Tie them up with the foam rodding that’s sold at hardware stores. Acts a bit like a gurgler when fished with an intermediate line. Was always one of my favorite flys for Kahawai. Quick and easy to tie, and the Kahawai seem to always monster them.

Be good if you guys are having a weed problem as they obviously float.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 6:25pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have gurglars and poppers and grease flies Fraser. They are good for sure and have their place no doubt.

What these flies (the tested one) wont do is spook fish. Now you might think that wouldn't be a problem with kahawai. However when you are targeting kahawai in very close they tend to get jumpy and anything "unnatural" can send them out just beyond casting range which is frustrating. I fished the first fish standing 10ft back form the shoreline on the sand. If I had thrown a straight surface fly in there I can bet the fish would have spooked and moved out which would mean I would have had to get wet and tonight I wanted to keep my nuts dry.

Thanks for the tip anyway, I will look into that foam fly thing. For now, these flies are ala "off the shelf" and work very well for those that don't tie.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 7:32pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nah, no need to shift south Wink plenty of kahawai here and I'm sure there's plenty of snapper away from the spot five minutes from the house. I'm just flabbergasted that the late season upper harbour run of snapper that we normally get here hasn't really happened. No hard and fast rules in fishing I suppose.

I'll give you a call in August and see how you're getting on Ermm Smile. That's a nice fly by the way. Real purty. Are the home tied efforts looking as good Wink. Heard you got yourself a vice (as in fly tying). Bit of a slippery slope...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 7:43pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hmmm vise. Rum could be considered mine. More like Nemesis maybe.

August will be hard for sure. Although I heard that the front man for "Big angry fish" targets big kings in the shallow harbors in winter. Have you heard that? If so, I am a lucky man cause I know where they are likely to lurk. How is your king fishing going btw? Managed anything over 18.2kgs yet? I saw one on the weekend that looked like a penguin it was that fat, 50lb+ easy. I actually gulped and went white when it approached my fly attached to the 12wt and went weak at the knees. For a second I had a feeling that Michael Sams teammates must feel when picking up the soap in the shower, not comfortable at all. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 8:46pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

LOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 8:58pm
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was driving under harbour bridge/westhaven 30minutes back.... Big work up close to the shore... Next to the second pillar of harbourbridge to be precise.... Looks like mainly Kahwai.. Guy fishing there caught 6 kahwai....
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 9:51am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here we go. Quickly tied up a few of these last night. Hopefully the Auckland Kahawai find them to their liking? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 10:00am
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fraser , I know you have been inundated with options from the strip strike crowd , give me a call 021865593. I will be passing pt chev at some stage ( on route to boat show) and suspect a sneaky cast on the out going tide with one of your plopper/blooper flies will nab a harbour Kahawai. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 11:33am
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Millsy Millsy wrote:

There is more to kahawai than just smoking them. Filleting them and fry in butter. Use this rub, its mean on fresh kahawai. Under-rated as a table fish.

Olive oil, above rub, salt and flour then fry in butter. Boom.

Hallelujah, floured and pan fried fresh, bloody unbeatable, now if we could only get better limit restrictions on this fish before it's decimated!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 6:24pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fraser, I could point you to places over here I can guarantee you would catch fish in the evening. But it is a bit far for you to drive.

Another fish this evening using the new fly. Same results, and kahawai for dinner. Just superb.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 9:47am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

With winter knocking thought I would share some tips for getting through.

I was trawling through some old snaps of kahawai fishing and noted that some of the best kahawai fishing I had in recent years was in June. You need to change your tack however, this mornings effort highlighted this. 

I have also noted people referring to getting "nibbles" lately when targeting. Nibbles are not something we generally associate with kahawai for sure but this time of the year things do sloooooooooowwwwwww doooooooowwwnnnnn somewhat. Which means, we need to also. Double handed striping is out, put that away until next summer. 

Need to look at where you are fishing also. Fish that are slow and in winter mode dont move far. 

What works for me; Find a likely spot and wait. This morning for me was a perfect example. Granted I know that piece of water off by heart now (kind of like my first stick mag really) but patience is required. That spot has current out wide, bait fish in close and an eddy so lazy fish don't have to work. Think of fishing for cruising browns in a lake if you will. 

So there I was this morning waiting, I even took a picture (over on the wbf Auckland thread). I didn't have to wait that long for a bust up in close and the view didn't exactly make the wait hard either. One thing I have learnt about winter fishing for kahawai, once you find these spots, the fish will be there for days, weeks even. Why travel to get your next meal when the bait fish don't move?

Start trying to figure out where that fish came from, was it from a reef or rock further out? Wait for the next pass, there will be one if you're in the right spot. Start prospecting the fly in those areas you think he could be holding taking care, and this is important, NOT to spook the fish. Yes, kahawai will spook, then sound, and you may as well pack up and go home.

Key things. Lighten and lengthen your leader. 4kg is good. Slow your retrieve. This may mean a non clouser type of fly like the one I posted here few days back, perfect fly for this. The fly looks good when it retrieve in slow jerky motions. 

Another thing that is good for this time of the year. Waders. Over to the waders thread.

Good luck, post some results/pics!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 11:56am
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one Paul, will keep all that info in mind as I am heading up to my Manukau spot tomorrow morning for a Dawn fish. And yes the waders will be on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 4:07pm
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great info Paul, thanks for that - for us newbies it's invaluable and we appreciate it no end!  Thumbs Up
Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 7:27pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Brown Dog Brown Dog wrote:

Nice one Paul, will keep all that info in mind as I am heading up to my Manukau spot tomorrow morning for a Dawn fish. And yes the waders will be on.

I take it you have converted to swf now? Good news.

You're welcome for the info guys, things are getting quiet around here, I see tumbleweed on the horizon again. Some one, post some results please. Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brown Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 7:33pm
Brown Dog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Na mate still spinning, no time to learn another skill and all the time it takes up, not for a wee while anyway.
Page  <12345 19>