Kahawai Thread

Page  <1234 19>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swoffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 10:08pm
swoffer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Those schools from the early days also suggest that the bait fish situation was somewhat different to now. Many things have changed and mostly not to the good, but I still marvel that one can catch a feed of fish meters from the biggest city in NZ. We are a lot more lucky than many of the so-called developed counties. Now, how to keep it that way.....
"The more people I meet, the more I love my dog......"

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 10:31pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

.Dad got this one in 72 I think went 19.5lb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 10:53pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

WOW.  Was that a kermedec Kakawai B.A. How far North was it caught. Amazing fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bass-ist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 12:36am
bass-ist View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The Kahawai is an incredible fish.
I'm probably repeating myself but, as a foreigner, I CANT believe how poorly the Kahawai is regarded, treated and ignored by most Kiwis.

Maybe this thread could become a catalyst for some kind of collective action for education, lobbying, etc.

What's a sticky?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swoffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 4:15am
swoffer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Gordy, look up Option 4 on the web and Legasea. You will find that Scott has dedicated his life to the Kahawai and the preservation of NZ fisheries. However, the commercial sector and their Politician 'yes men' bottom feeders don't give a damn about the concept of sport fisheries and fish for the people.
Politics is the thirst for power and status in the guise of public service.
"The more people I meet, the more I love my dog......"

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 11:02am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jeez Steve - you'd be able to strap a saddle to that thing and ride it to shore.
Amazing fish!
                                                      ...........................

Funny you mention Kermadec Cirrus.....that was my initial thought when I saw the shot.
There has been a bit of conjecture over the years though about separate species.
Does anyone know the whole truth?

Be interested to know the science.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 11:21am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes, different species. Kermadec kahawai = Arripis xylabion. NZ kahawai = Arripis trutta.

Side by side they look very different and the differences are most acute at a smaller size. I caught a 3 to 4 kg Kermadec Kahawai in the Far North once. The slate grey sides with a scattering of faint dark spots, the grey pectoral and big tail fin were unmistakeable.

We polaroided a lone kahawai in Parengarenga this year that was probably one of these fish. Like all good fly fishers though we scared the shyte out of it before we could even get close. There were big schools of these at Spirits and Tom Bowling Bay in the old days, but you don't hear many reports these days. Trouble is these days it's more of a campervan scene up there than anything else. There could be lots still getting caught but you just don't hear about it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote landman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 11:37am
landman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah I remember my dad catching a Kahawai off of Monganui Wharf northland years ago everyone thought it was a Kingie when he landed it weighed 14LB it was friggin huge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 11:37am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont think that much is known about Kahawai,especially migration pattens  Science says there is one stock in N.Z waters with some input from Australia.

Yet by the same Token the Kermadec Kahawai is a distinct species with some seasonal appearance into far Northern waters.

With greatly reduced commercial catch compared to the annual 9-10 000 T taken during the mid to late 80s and early 90s these fish seem to be returning in noticeable numbers,but have still along way to go to reach former numbers . Maybe in a few more years we will see the return of numbers of really big 7-8lb fish.

That we are seeing return of Kahawai at all,credit must be given to the dedication of Option 4 in taking the case to the high court. Often wonder just how close to the brink the were and to the point of never being able to recover.
There were years during the mass purse seine targeting of these fish that i never saw one.
Had a great day catching Kahawai last weekend. Brought home how much these fish need to be valued. Put a topic on this day out on the Briny bar." Among the schools of Kahawai"
Although i caught some snapper that day it was trolling for Kahawai on light gear that was the highlight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 11:40am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well, I just thought I would leave this pic of Arripis trutta here then...

I've left it somewhere else before too, by hey, who's counting.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 12:29pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Don't you just love that TCX?
It should come with a warning label - WEAPON!

Thanks Craig for info on Arripis.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 1:15pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well Jaapie funny you should mention the TCX. Yes, I do love it, absolutely.

Just took her for a stroll and found a nice school of obliging Arripis trutta up in the 12"- 14" 2lb max range. Gave me some exercise for about an hour.

The 7wt TCX is now my go to shore based setup. The 6wt Xi3 is my new boat/drift setup and is lending itself well to that environment with its slightly easier action than the TCX. Makes netting fish by yourself a lot easier than the TCX ever was but still has balls down low for pulling fish up.

I found this old article in a well known NZ SWF book published in 2000 and had a wee chuckle reading it...

9-10wt!!!! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 12:38pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just got in from a morning out in the boat.

I can see why there is so many kahawai about in the Manukau. The only place to be if you are looking for kahawai or just getting into swf imho.

Whitebait. Heaps. So many in places I could have walked on them. Ties in with reports I am hearing from the experts on all things small in the rivers.

I was reading an old FlyLife mag, number 56 that had a good article on kahawai eating tiny bait. Below is a picture of the sorts of flies that work in those situations.

Closer to the shoreline is also a very good place to find larger kahawai currently. Using a bigger sprat type pattern works better for those fish.

If I were you, and I was after some swf action I would be looking for a shallow bay with a prominent headland. Like the places you might find between Cornwallis towards Onehunga (as most of you are from that side). Big muddy would be a good beat ans maybe even some of the bays before Huia, there are a couple in there with streams running in. Perfect.

Failing tide. Has to be falling so the kahawai can push the bait into the shallows. Of course the bait doesn't want to be there cause it might get stranded so it heads back out again only to be chased back in again. This repeats itself for a good couple of hours in most places. It is the common ambush theory.

Get into it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 12:51pm
desmofrankie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got twice in Blockhouse bay around high and beginning of the outgoing last week and didn't see a single Kahawai Unhappy

It looks like I have no other choice than trying again!LOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 1:12pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not sure exactly were you could be there desmo, but maybe to close to the high tide in that spot. Maybe better closer to the low or last hour before low. The headlands over there hold kahawai on high. Right in close, like sitting in behind rocks close.  Not sure how access is to headlands that close to high however. 

I would try where FISHBYFLY sometimes heads. Particularly the bay where he launches his yak. That point to the right hand side if you are looking towards the South Head is a sure bet. Couldn't be surer. All along that side towards little Huia in close out of the sun. I caught 3 in there this morning drifting past, my fly was landing less than a meter of the beach. The one below was the only fish I kept this morning and came from there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 3:40pm
Gold
Gold

Cheers Milsy, I was actually thinking about going there again, I haven't been for  a wile!
(not too much issues with access at hight as I got most times with the yak)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 4:15pm
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If I see  you in there Sunday I might shoot in for a yarn. Likely be up that way somewhere for the outgoing.

In light of the fact I have lost Gordy as a crew member I have a new crew member.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 7:47pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Love that boat of yours Millsy and no doubt all those dusty hours on the sander have long since been payed off, dog is a rippa too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 8:41pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

and I'll just leave this here...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 8:44pm
Gold
Gold

Woulda been great to have a yarn with you on the water Milsy but unfortunately I work tomorrow so I'll have to be counted as on elf the crazy people not on the water that day Pinch

Hopefully it'll stay that good for the next few days.

Someone had told me the short story about your boat, did you post some pics of the process (or even just the boat) somewhere??
Page  <1234 19>