Fly Swap #1 - The One Fly

Page  123 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fly Swap #1 - The One Fly
    Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 6:05pm
desmofrankie View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Here comes the fly swap!

Maybe the first one of the saltwater flyflingers section…

For a start I found quite appropriate to make it about “The one fly”.

The theme:

You’re told you go fishing shallow harbour/coastal waters in a temperate environment, with a 7-8wt fly rod.

You don’t know anything about where or when.

You’re only allowed to pack one fly, “The one fly”.

That’s what you’ll have to tie for this swap, it has to be a baitfish, beside that I don’t put any restrictions on materials or techniques, it doesn’t have to be a mass produceable pattern, all it has to be is that fly you’ll rely on without second thoughts.

I know that some of you will instantly scream “green clouser minnow”; come on guys: it’s a fly swap, we can get a bit more creative than that.

For what’s about the organisation we’ll try to keep it as simple and smooth as possible:

1: If you are interested make it known right here.

2: Limit for signing up is may 7th If anyone else is interested we'll just ask current participants for approval.

3: The flies are to be sent to me by June 1st.

For everyone’s enjoyment please make sure before signing up that you can make it! (it means that you have to have the time to get the materials, tie the flies and send them to me before then…)

4: The number of participants is limited to 12 on that one.

5: Each participant will send me his flies and include 10$ for the return shipping of the flies via NZpost Registeredpost (bank transfer might be the easiest way) 

6: If you can put  little toe tag on each file you tie that helps prevent any potential screw up due to a storm going thru my house while sorting them.

7: May 7th I will send a message to each participant individually to tell the final number of participants, number of lies to tie, my postal address and any potential updates.

8: When you send your flies please let me know and send me in private message a short intro about your fly (particularities, what design details are intended to get what effect, any cool anecdote or history related to it…) and the recipe.

9: I will confirm reception of the flies as they arrive.

10: When I have all the flies I will try to make a good set of photos and use the description you sent me to make a nice individual post for each (let me know if you prefer the recipe to be kept out of the post and sent by PM to the participants only)

11: As soon as that is done I put all the fly assortments in the envelopes and return it to each one of you.

12: Hopefully you receive a whole bunch of cool flies that don’t include yours!

That’s for the theory, if anything screws up we’ll make it up!

Happy tying.

List of participants: (I will update each time someone signs up)

1: Desmofrankie (acting swapmeister)

2:ShaunQ

3:Rudy

4:Matto

5:Fraser Hocks

6:StPaul

7:

8:

9:

10:

11:

12:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 8:09pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well sign me in with an aussie texta! My one fly's will come all the way from far north QLD, tied with a steady hand for the NZ waters, looking forward to the flingers first fly swap :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 8:25pm
Gold
Gold

Awesome mate, you're in. Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 7:54pm
Rudy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm in with a grin.  Smile

Haven't tied a fly in ages - too many commitments (the usual - work and family...).  Turned down a couple of swaps recently, really want to do one again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 8:52pm
Gold
Gold

Great to have you in Rudy Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote matto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 2:46pm
matto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yep , I am in 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 7:06pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go on, count me in. Be a good change from the latest batch of parachute addams in size 16 iv been tying.   Besides I better get some practice in for the trip to Aitutaki.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 10:43pm
Gold
Gold

Awesome guys, thanks for taking part Smile

Come on people there's a whole bunch of great tiers who already signed up, who's next??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 12:43am
StPaul View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi guys,
HAven't been on here in a bit but I'm keen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 8:08am
Gold
Gold

Welcome StPaul Smile

Allright guys, so far we're only 6 participants, it's not a lot but I'm sure it'll be fun anyway.

If anyone else show some interest what I'll do is ask each of you if you're happy with the idea of adding an extra person and if it suits everyone he'll be in.

I'll send a round of PMs tonight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 2:00pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cool Frank.  Was beginning to think it was one that woudn't get off the ground?  Good to see we are all GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still deciding on the exact fly, just too many options Tongue

Oh how many flys shall we tie, seeing as there is only 6 tiers at this stage?   I might try and get mine done before next weekend so I can personally drop them off.  Only a few days to go now till I head overseas to the North Island Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 3:15pm
StPaul View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Shall we say 2 flies each? same pattern....
I can whip up a dozen of these, sorry only nickel eyes only. as I'm struggling to find decent painted eyes at the moment. but a sharpie colours them up ok.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 3:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

Great minds think alike Paul!! Besides there is nothing worse than finding that a particular fly works a treat only to lose one and not have a template to knock a few more off?  12 fly’s each then  boys?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 5:55pm
Gold
Gold

Sounds good to me guys, I also never tie one single copy of a fly!

If everyone's happy with the idea we'll do that.

I'd say same fly but if some want to take the opportunity to make the second one of the colour variation they've been hesitating on for days we should allow it.

Any opinions?

If some like Fraser want to drop/pick up their flies that's all fine with me of course.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote StPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 9:11pm
StPaul View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

actually would be 10 flies if you don't count flies for yourself. ;-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 9:22pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

24 hour countdown until thread hits stainless steel, wop out a quick clouser then into the baitfish for the swap. Frothed out like a coffee from BP, mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 10:34am
Gold
Gold

Allright guys,

Since everyone's happy with the idea we will be tying 2 copies per participant of each fly; so that'll be 10 copies of your The one fly, excluding the dozen you will make for yourself of course.

I forgot to mention it but feel free to find a cool name for your creation, as we all know a fly with a cool name is a lot more efficient at attracting... fishermen.

It's now time to get the vise smoking and the bobbin holder screaming!
Happy tying.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 2:30pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by desmofrankie desmofrankie wrote:

I forgot to mention it but feel free to find a cool name for your creation, as we all know a fly with a cool name is a lot more efficient at attracting... fishermen.

AS in the words of my flyfishing guide Hank Patterson, "Does the fly your using have a cool name?  The fly your using may be some nameless fly that might look about right, but without some whacky out there name even the lowly shark wont drag itself up from feeding on bottom scum to eat it." 

If Hank said it, then its FACT! Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote desmofrankie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 5:42pm
Gold
Gold

In order to keep the topic alive I decided to break the suspense and spill a bit on my design.

There you can see the start of my One fly; not 100% sure about the flash, it might change but for the rest that's how it'll start:

LOL

'hope you're having fun guys!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 6:24pm
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just waiting on a new stock of hooks to arrive, kind of important, then I'll get busy on it.
Page  123 6>