Fixing a flyline

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 7:54am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, sudden shock on the line in a fishing situation can unexpectedly break strong leaders and connections. Cracking off bonefish on the strike is always annoying

After having a good look around though I'm thinking that the Rio and Airflo tarpon and GT options are the strongest lines out there.

In terms of long term endurance however I'm uncovering some interesting problems regarding certain line formats

So still looking at some really cheap lines I can abuse. Unfortunately most have light cores of   25lb which won't work.

Has anyone had any experience with Stonecreek's saltwater series of flylines? Any idea on core strength?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 8:59am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Just heard that Stonecreek's have a core strength of 60lb!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 9:50am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ears pricking up........

Do tell more.

Like you, has anyone had experience with these lines.
TBH, never heard of them.

Are they tropical or cold water?
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 11:01am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Tropical. But just found a note on the website that they're getting out of saltwater lines... better be in quick!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 7:27pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

El Cheapo Wish 8wt on its way to you, Fishman!
Abuse the heck out of it....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 8:26pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thanks Charlie! A stonecreek going to be in my hands soon too. I will treat them both with the finest of respect and fully assess their finer points of construction

But I may have to find some tropical weather to make them both work properly. That might be difficult right now!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 9:53am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah Nick, I'll like to know if they connect the core to core at the loop, or just weld the coating? My guess is the latter, and hence why as you said, really world is very different.

Oh also, I assume that you guys are catspaw style? Loop to loop, but twice? Adds a ton more strength to the connection.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 12:02pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I received the Wish 'Maxcatch' 8wt flyline in the post today from Charlie (Muchalls) . It certainly looked good. I checked the internet price... very bloody cheap! You have to wonder how the Chinese can make them so cheap

I was pleasantly suprised to see a couple of welded loops already attached. I suspect they are stronger than the line core so their robustness will not really be tested. Because the flyline core on this line will probably be around 25lb I'm only going to fish it with a 12lb tippet. Hopefully no big snapper will be hooked.

Casting will happen as soon as the wild weather clears. A quick stretch test between outstretched arms showed that there was a fair amount of bounce in the line. With the full 100ft out it could turn into a very long rubber band. H'mm This will be interesting!

(Edit- I was a bit hasty on my judgement there. See below)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 2:04pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

More bounce, for less buck? LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 2:44pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, actually Fraser I was bit quick to criticise there. I just compared the amount of 'bounce' and stretch to some more well known brands and found it was comparable for the same core strength.

I've been using in-touch (no stretch) lines lately, so the Chinese line felt 'bouncy' on first inspection.

It will be very interesting to see how it performs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 7:45pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Think my inexpensive line has similar origin and rates alongside some SA and Cortland for slickness and float ability. And frankly a lot of US lines probably come out of China.
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 7:48pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

How is it for casting?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 9:26pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

How is it for casting?
For a 3 weight it seems pretty good with a good shortish head WF profile. 

I did get a stonecreek WF10F a couple of years back- line coating was a bit "lumpy", had a long head that was a pain after outbound short lines but in fairness it was a good floater. 
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 5:59am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes head length/profile is a big issue for me. I've got a Technical Tarpon line here with a total head length of sixty foot that I have never been able to cast very well. Consequently I'm getting a stonecreek line and an el-cheapo chinese line in a 10wt so that I can cut the heads back and turn them into shorter head nine weights if I don't like them. Hopefully this won't be necessary as it is not an ideal thing to do to any line. At the moment I have no idea what their head profiles will be. We'll see...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 5:37pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I had a quick cast with both lines today in less than ideal conditions. Despite the cold wind I was most impressed with the stonecreek line. It formed a good loop and cast well. I managed to cast the whole 90' line without too much effort. However, I hope to test the lines further over the next few days when hopefully the weather will be better. I'll write up a full evaluation of how I find them and post it here somewhere.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 7:26pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What Stonecreek line did you get, do you have al link?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 8:24pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I'll let you know. I want to get my order in first
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 4:21pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I've just posted a short write-up of the Stonecreek Saltwater line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishinmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 8:01pm
Fishinmad1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Craig,
Just reading your thread on fixing fly lines ,
I got given a swag of double taper lines years ago for making up a custom rod for a guy. 10/11/and12 Wts,
What I do is cut them in half and splice a level running line on using 50Lb braided hollow core mono, whip the ends with fly tying thread and put some Skelerub shoe glue on the whipping. When it’s nearly set I roll it between my thumb and forefinger. I do the same with shooting heads, I’ve got a tendency to use these more as thy cast better with less false casts. Better distance with minimal effort is my philosophy.
On my 6Wt I use a 8Wt floating shooter, or a 7Wt intermediate. If I’m fishing around rocks I’ll use one colour of lead line spliced onto 20Mtrs of 20Lb hollow core mono. Casts ok sinks like a stone and doesn’t matter if it gets stuffed up on the rocks. Also use it for fishing deep out of my boat, pulled snaps up from 26mtrs on my 8Wts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 6:49am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fishinmad1 Fishinmad1 wrote:

Hi Craig,
 If I’m fishing around rocks I’ll use one colour of lead line spliced onto 20Mtrs of 20Lb hollow core mono. Casts ok sinks like a stone and doesn’t matter if it gets stuffed up on the rocks. Also use it for fishing deep out of my boat, pulled snaps up from 26mtrs on my 8Wts.

I'm keen on making up one of the lead line shooters.  Would be handy for fishing deeper reefs.  Could you post links to the actual products you use as I always find when I turn up at the shop there are at least 3 or more versions of the each thing I need and then I don't know what to buy anymore LOLLOLEmbarrassed or I get one wrong and the whole project fails. Ouch
Page  <12