Fishing with hard baits

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 2:00pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one keen to know more about them what to use what size braid etc etc
Nice fish too
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapazapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 4:48pm
snapazapa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Choice fish AW,yes might just have to get a couple more sinking ones.
Live life to the fullest...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 7:21pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by green guy green guy wrote:

Nice one keen to know more about them what to use what size braid etc etc
Nice fish too

s/b gear is fine mitch,ive been using heavier gear like a 6kg rod with 12pd braid and 30pd fluoro.This mainly because i dont want to loose any.The ability to skull drag if around a reef would also be an advantage
2009 and 2010 BERKLEY SOFTBAIT COMP CHAMPS,Runner up 2013 ( solo),winner 2013/14 longest kingfish nz fishing competition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 7:46pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sweet thought so might just get a second spool for my stella
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 9:04pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How about these,...

little vibro-max or somethnig lures, just smaller blade type lures, similar in shape but perhaps not so meaty as the sebiles, i have used them here, no joy on snaps but plenty of kahawai and skippies though.... (this is a little bonito at norfolk)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote albert wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 10:19pm
albert wild View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Here's a couple of lures that are worth having a cast with for snaps. The koolie minnow will dive to 50ft when trolled, lots of guys doing well slow trolling these on yaks for snapper in OZ. I've caught snapper and many other species on the Magic swimmer. The Spin Shad and the Vibrato work well on a wide range of fresh and salt water species, especially when they are schooled up down deep. 

Sebile Spin Shad  1 1/4 ounce

Sebile 110 FSK

Sebile Vibrato

Sebile Koolie Minnow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nepptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 12:30am
Nepptune View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by albert wild albert wild wrote:

Sebile 110 FSK

Fished one of these last week... without a doubt the best action I've seen out of a hard bait lure anywhere.... the action is pretty unbelievable...
TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 2:11pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

time to load up the tackle box i think
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 4:05pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

anyone tried the shimano waxwing jigs at home yet?, they've been a killer on all sorts over here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 4:31pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As soon as they're off back order I'll be throwing them around. Had a play on one but we didn't catch anything on the surface that day so hard to say. Keen tho for sure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote albert wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 8:39pm
Silver
Silver

Pretty unique looking lure Josh, I've only seen pics, I have not seen one in the flesh yet. Lots of very cool lures coming from lots of different companies at the moment. Plenty to play with that's for sure. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote albert wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 8:55pm
Silver
Silver

This is one nut I'm real keen to crack, snapper on poppers. A few guys over here starting to put some time into working it out. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 10:26pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

^^^^^ No way! ^^^^^

That is one cool nut to crack! Is that a Yo-Zuri?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Michael Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 3:34pm
Michael Jenkins View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

stumbled across this one day; 6kg snapper on a hard bodied lure, landbased in japan. The piece-of-mullet-on-a-ledger brigade will never believe it lol

Someone needs to get him a landing net for Xmas though haha!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote albert wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 4:29pm
Silver
Silver

Hi Mike, thanks for posting, thats fantastic! That's the sort of country thats made for targeting snaps on the surface. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 1:32pm
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

I dunno about spinnerbaits eh, I have used them here trying to get kahawai, no luck, in the tropics for mangrove jacks etc, no joy eitehr, yet swap over to a SP or a hardbody minnow, and wham, straight away.
I have heaps of the damn things though, they look sooooo good,......
Captain A. Spinnerbaits will work for kahawhi......eventually!They can be very frustrating to hook on them though.I have spent years trying to catch them on the dam things & have found that if you thread on a stinger hook onto the main,secured with a small piece of silicone tubing the hookup rate increases big time.They attract kahawhi well but they just seem to nip at the back of the skirts without getting hooked & also if they do hook up they usually jump & shake the spinnerbait out.Not a very clear photo but hope you can see the hook arrangement.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 4:49pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, I think with some method of dropping a hook further back, so that the hook was well behind the spinner, or at the least, behind the hard wire "frame" of the spinner bait, then they would probably work.
However, I also have to wonder, if we were not so determined to make the damn things work, and swapped to.... small jigs? chromes? bibbed minnows? Soft plastics? we would have caught 30 times as many kahawai than have fallen to the spinner baits! :-)
It is really like saying that you can catch snapper on stickbaits....well, yes, you can, but a packet of pillies or gulp would catch an awful lot more.... :-)
Still, it is the fun of trying new things out that is a big part of this fishing addiction we have, eh! :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote albert wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 5:59pm
Silver
Silver

I like to play with different things, keeps me interested. I have experimented with many different spinning bladed lures on Snapper. Most consistent results seem to have been tail spinners rather than traditional spinnerbaits. Spinnerbaits seem to work if you get rid of he skirt and slide a four inch Gulp minnow up behind the head. Some spinner baits are made with bait keepers moulded into the back of the head for this purpose. The end result is a soft bait that has scent, vibration and flash-pretty cool, although some of the wire frames are not that strong. Blade shape will also effect sink rates.

I have also played around a lot with rattles. Some of the best hard body lures on the market utilise rattles in their design so it made sense to try them out with soft baits. Hybrid lures are something I think we will see more of in the future, mmmm, more toys to play with!Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 12:38am
scope View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Spinnerbaits will break down rather quickly if you continuously throw them in the salt. The gear is made for freshwater and simply won't stand up to the repeated punishment. I tend to look more towards vibration baits and blades if targeting snapper on hards, or the lucanus style jigs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 8:35am
Titanium
Titanium

That red number is a hot looking little lure....
Page  <1234>