FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fishing McLaren Falls??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing McLaren Falls??
    Posted: 04 May 2020 at 4:58pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just wanting some advice for fishing McLaren falls, my boys are keen to get their first trout. While I got mine as a kid in the Waikato river I haven’t caught one in nearly 30 years.

I got sorted with a few lures from the boys at hamils, but I am no fly fisher so it’s spinning for us. Just wanting to know any advice people have.

We went for a walk along the canal this morning. Spotted one trout breaching the surface but got demolished by sand fly’s and called it pretty early.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 10:03am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Used to fish that area fairly regularly over a decade ago when travelling there on business.

This is what I discovered back then but would imagine that by & large would still apply nowadays.

Reckon the canal is your best bet particularly if spinning as is rather difficult to sustain an effective drift having to stand above & back away from the water edge. One thing for certain best time is at dusk or even later particularly if the fish are rising which in the dark can be determined by the sound they make. In fact a lot of the experienced fly fishers wait on the bank waiting for the tell tale sounds then cast a dry fly in the general direction & as fly is not visible in the dark strike upon hearing any sound of a rise where your fly is often resulting in a hook up. However now face the problem of retrieving your quarry up the steepish bank as moving towards the waters edge is potentially dangerous & not advisable.

As for the lake ... results vary particularly as there is not a lot of access to suitable terrain therefore time spent investigating certainly pays dividends. In my experience if there is a ripple on  the surface fishing the weedy shallows for feeding fish can prove productive. However if water is low & clear probably best to favour somewhere that has a drop off even if they are usually restricted as to fishable area.

Good luck     
A lady says to her doctor: "My husband has a habit of talking in his sleep! What should I give him to cure it ?"

The doctor replies: "Give him an opportunity to speak when he's awake!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 12:31pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers bazza, that helps a lot. It’s a whole new can of forms for a salty fisherman.
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 12:29pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sorry, didn't see this post when it first appeared. I've had no luck fishing the lake (haven't really tried TBH), but over the years I've done alright during winter along the canal using little Dragon softbaits on a 5g jighead and cast from an ultralight spinning set. I always fish the evening change of light, and know it's time for home when I can hear rats rustling through the bushes (shortly after dark)!

Hadn't fished up that way for a few years, but popped up Tuesday night and got a stonking 7.5lb rainbow. Had only caught brownies up till then.

There was an article in Sunlive recently whereby F&G have released some big rainbows into McLarens, so there should be some beauties to be had up there.