Fishing and anchoring spots for a multi day trip

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing and anchoring spots for a multi day trip
    Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 12:28pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum
Avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Location: Browns Bay
Status: Offline
Points: 1442
Hi all,

I'll be helping  "crew" a launch from Opua Marina in the BOI back to Westhaven Marina in a couple of weeks. There will be 6x on board - 1x a real skipper (thank goodness) and the 5x keen fishos (and beer drinkers)

The plan is to take 5 or so days getting the boat back to Auckland (weather permitting) and, as none of us have fished these parts of the coast (bits here and there of course) we were looking for some hints as to good places to drop a line and then find a calm spot to anchor overnight.

Not specifically looking for secret Spot X's but hoping for some guidance of area to try for a fish on the trip.

I don't think we'll be trolling lures but the boat does have that gear on board. We're all 60+ so not as athletic as we used to be, so jigging for Kingis all day isn't on the do-able list.

Cheers

You can never have enough fishing tackle
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 1:00pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Location: Northland
Status: Online
Points: 5672
For overnight anchorage, Whangaruru, Tutukaka and Whangarei Harbours come to mind.

I'm not up to date on the fishing, but you won't struggle to catch snapper anywhere on that coastline. I know the fish are still in the harbours too.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 2:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja
Avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2002
Location: Te Toro
Status: Offline
Points: 32281
I only know the Manukau well Suffy but the 50m depth around little Barrier, just outside the cable zone of course, could be worth a drift through
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 3:20pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold


Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 544
You have to stay at Whangamumu Harbour www.doc.govt.nz/thumbs/hero/globalassets/images/pl... on the first night . Completely sheltered from all winds and is in fact a designated cyclone hole. It is a few nautical miles south of Cape Brett. There are the ruins of an old whaling station to explore and a beautiful stream , pool and waterfall to freshen up after a night on the bevies. The surrounding coastline is very fishy. Have a great trip
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 3:23pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold


Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 544
www.doc.govt.nz/thumbs/hero/globalassets/images/pl... Whangamumu harbour
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 3:24pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold


Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 544
Trying to post a photo off the internet , doesnt seem to work
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 3:39pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2002
Location: New Zealand
Status: Offline
Points: 4121
Originally posted by rowboat bob rowboat bob wrote:

Trying to post a photo off the internet , doesnt seem to work





Legasea Legend Member
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 5:01pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2019
Location: papakura
Status: Offline
Points: 3299
Whangamumu is a must visit.
"Times up"
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 9:40am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum
Avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Location: Browns Bay
Status: Offline
Points: 1442
Thanks for the suggestion - looks great.

I do note though that it is in the middle of a no fishing zone :( https://www.nrc.govt.nz/environment/coast/marine-protection-areas/

Can't wait to go and try some new spots
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 9:43am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Location: Northland
Status: Online
Points: 5672
Looks like a commercial no fishing zone. Maybe someone local can comment.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 10:53am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2019
Location: papakura
Status: Offline
Points: 3299
https://www.nrc.govt.nz/news/2023/september/environment-court-confirms-no-take-fishing-areas-in-northland/

New no-take fishing areas have been formally adopted by Northland Regional Council following an Environment Court decision that confirmed all fishing – including recreational – is no longer permitted from Maunganui Bay (Deep Water Cove) to Oporua (Oke Bay) in the Bay of Islands as well as around the Mimiwhangata peninsula.


"Times up"
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 11:11am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Location: Northland
Status: Online
Points: 5672
Cheers Pcj.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 12:19pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 10 Dec 2003
Location: Auckland, NZ
Status: Offline
Points: 3702
Whangamumu is a great overnight anchorage in almost all conditions. An easterly swell can put an uncomfortable roll through the whole bay though. In NE and SE winds you can tuck up just inside the entrance on the corresponding side although beware of the rocks on the southern side.

Moving south the next good spot is Whangaruru, good shelter at the top of the harbour and in a real blow you can get up on the northern side of the island at the very top. Be aware though that you need to watch the low tide depth and swinging room and some of the channels are very narrow. Best anchor spots are on the northern and eastern sides. A SE swell of any reasonable size will put a roll through all of the harbour though and that can make for an uncomfortable night.
 
Mimiwhangata is a very nice anchorage in the right conditions (pretty much easterly through south to west sou west), but becareful of the rocks in the middle and it shallows up quite quickly near the beach itself (ask BA about that!)

Tutukaka obviously has a marina you can get an overnight berth in, but if you don't want to use the marina, and we usually don't, you can anchor in 3 places that are all good depending on the weather, Two of them are a little clogged with moorings now though. The first bay on the northern side is a good spot with good holding. Pacific bay and Kowharewa bay on the southern side are both very good but you have to "insert" youself amongst the moorings. We normally tuck up in Kowharewa amongst the moorings near where the old ski lane was.

Whangarei is good just inside the entance in Urquharts Bay and you can navigate the channels (carefully!) to get up into the Parua Bay area as well or as far as the basin. Be careful though, lots of sand banks and sand islands and the channel are quite narrow at low tide. I havent spent much time here, usually steam passed.

After that you are into the gulf and Kawau etc etc etc.

There are a few other places you can tuck up behind islands on the coast itself between Tutukaka and the BoI but they require really calm settled weather if you want a peaceful night.

A really enjoyable coast to cruise, have  a great time!

Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 1:12pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2019
Location: papakura
Status: Offline
Points: 3299
Missed one SaltyC  Liegh Harbour head of the bay and if there local liners onboard they will tell you which mooring to use. Last time with the boy(15yr old) We had drinkies with them and unbeknown to me boy was having a sleigh one or 2. Then they came onboard for dinner,no it wasnt fish.
"Times up"
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 3:37pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum
Avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Location: Browns Bay
Status: Offline
Points: 1442
Originally posted by SaltyC SaltyC wrote:

Whangamumu is a great overnight anchorage in almost all conditions. An easterly swell can put an uncomfortable roll through the whole bay though. In NE and SE winds you can tuck up just inside the entrance on the corresponding side although beware of the rocks on the southern side.

Moving south the next good spot is Whangaruru, good shelter at the top of the harbour and in a real blow you can get up on the northern side of the island at the very top. Be aware though that you need to watch the low tide depth and swinging room and some of the channels are very narrow. Best anchor spots are on the northern and eastern sides. A SE swell of any reasonable size will put a roll through all of the harbour though and that can make for an uncomfortable night.
 
Mimiwhangata is a very nice anchorage in the right conditions (pretty much easterly through south to west sou west), but becareful of the rocks in the middle and it shallows up quite quickly near the beach itself (ask BA about that!)

Tutukaka obviously has a marina you can get an overnight berth in, but if you don't want to use the marina, and we usually don't, you can anchor in 3 places that are all good depending on the weather, Two of them are a little clogged with moorings now though. The first bay on the northern side is a good spot with good holding. Pacific bay and Kowharewa bay on the southern side are both very good but you have to "insert" youself amongst the moorings. We normally tuck up in Kowharewa amongst the moorings near where the old ski lane was.

Whangarei is good just inside the entance in Urquharts Bay and you can navigate the channels (carefully!) to get up into the Parua Bay area as well or as far as the basin. Be careful though, lots of sand banks and sand islands and the channel are quite narrow at low tide. I havent spent much time here, usually steam passed.

After that you are into the gulf and Kawau etc etc etc.

There are a few other places you can tuck up behind islands on the coast itself between Tutukaka and the BoI but they require really calm settled weather if you want a peaceful night.

A really enjoyable coast to cruise, have  a great time!


Brilliant - thanks
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 6:12pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum
Avatar

Joined: 28 Jul 2008
Location: Auckland
Status: Offline
Points: 2691
This post has reminded me I’ve got a copy of Pickmeres Atlas somewhere.

He spent his life sailing and surveying Northlands East coast. Each chart includes notes on anchorages.

I think I’ll go find it and see what he said.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 6:46pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2019
Location: papakura
Status: Offline
Points: 3299
Originally posted by Phantom Menace Phantom Menace wrote:

This post has reminded me I’ve got a copy of Pickmeres Atlas somewhere.

He spent his life sailing and surveying Northlands East coast. Each chart includes notes on anchorages.

I think I’ll go find it and see what he said.
problem with navigating via Pickmere .His detail is so detailed he shows rocks on a beach.just when you think your enough wate only to figure out its bl@#dy shallower than first thought. we did a trip around northland using his charts in a shallow draft launch mid 70s
"Times up"
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 7:13pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum
Avatar

Joined: 28 Jul 2008
Location: Auckland
Status: Offline
Points: 2691
Yeah I was not thinking about navigating by them but more about his notes on anchorage in different winds and safe passages. Those would still apply today. (With the exception of expanded mooring fields and stuff like that )
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 7:29pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2019
Location: papakura
Status: Offline
Points: 3299
Originally posted by Phantom Menace Phantom Menace wrote:

Yeah I was not thinking about navigating by them but more about his notes on anchorage in different winds and safe passages. Those would still apply today. (With the exception of expanded mooring fields and stuff like that )
Perfer t to RAYC book of anchorages. Anyone going north/south should have one. Just found Dads copy

"Times up"
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 10:55am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 10 Dec 2003
Location: Auckland, NZ
Status: Offline
Points: 3702
the RAYC book is invaluable if you are new to that coast and has been regularly updated over the years.

Pickmere's Atlas is just an absolute treasure. I value my copy highly, it is great for those little out of the way anchorages and some of the detail on small passages and is really the best still for navigating the Kerikeri inlet up to the stone store. But really the accuracy and detail in his coastal maps is just outstanding.

A couple of great fishing books, a little dated now but still great resources are "The Northland Coast" and "The Hauraki Gulf" by Wiiliam (Bill) Owens. They both have great sections on navigating, anchorages and, of course, fishing areas. Along with Pickmere they were my bibles when we first ventured north on the coast in the early 1990's.
Back to Top
Page  12>
Forum Jump
Forum Permissions View Drop Down


This page was generated in 0.353 seconds.

Fishing Reports Visit Reports

Saltwater Fishing Reports
Northland Fishing Report - 16/05/24

Trophy fish on offer With the temperatures dropping and the days getting shorter, you could... Read More >

16 May 2024
Saltwater Fishing Reports
Tauranga Fishing Report - 16/05/24

Tarakihi and snapper on the chew Things are starting to be a bit quieter with... Read More >

16 May 2024
Saltwater Fishing Reports
Raglan Fishing Report - 16/05/24

Fresh bait key to bigger fish The run of good autumn fishing continues with a... Read More >

16 May 2024
Saltwater Fishing Reports
Bay of Islands Fishing Report - 16/05/24

Straylining effective Team Zeus has been out there doing it again! Photos of huge crayfish,... Read More >

16 May 2024
Fishing bite times Fishing bite times

Major Bites

Minor Bites

Major Bites

Minor Bites