Fisheries Amendment Bill

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slug slicer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 2:12pm
Slug slicer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am sorry SaltyC you seem to be on another page or universe.
I was hoping some one could explain why we should be submitting against the " Five Amendments" at the top of this page.
Just  the facts. No froth or foam thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 11:05pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Slug slicer Slug slicer wrote:

I am sorry SaltyC you seem to be on another page or universe.
I was hoping some one could explain why we should be submitting against the " Five Amendments" at the top of this page.
Just  the facts. No froth or foam thanks.

So you think the Fisheries Amendment Bill as proposed represents the best interests of recreational anglers?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 10:01am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've sent mine.
Thanks Legasea for the email heads up 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 4:43pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sent Mine,

Thanks legasea and all on the forum for the  time spentkeeping [those that are interested] informed.

Like others have said, unlikely many anglers are aware or willing.

I wouldnt label it a fishing exclusive issue,In my observations as each year goes on , there seems to be more and more disconection from current affairs.
Sure theres liitle bites of outrage about the usuals[Lets not go there],

But to start a  civil debate  / discussion about anything { ie; Ukraine, Climate, China , Water} Seems fraught with either Anger or complete disinterest.

I blame the closed borders!LOL 
I think the lack of international travel has turned  a lot of peoples realty a bit like living on Pitcairn Island!DeadLOL

So again thanks Legasea and This Forum Moderaters etc,
Wether we all agree on all opinions, is irelevant,
Whats important is the seeking of information and Discussion.

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 11:04pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by scuzzymoto scuzzymoto wrote:

lol-  I dont do facebook, so the only way to find out about Legasea or any group in NZ is to read this forum, the only group in NZ I see worth anything is the NZSFA , but its  only boat fishing , again mainly north island ...
Even 1/2 the clubs in NZ are not part of any organisation so how are people meant to find out -- 
Just my views -been saying this for years ....

Scuzzymoto, NZSFC and LegaSea are joined at the hip. LegaSea is owned by NZSFC and is the Council's Public outreach arm. What that means is that there are 600,000 fishers in NZ, and 37,000 of those are connected to NZSFC by being members of Affiliated clubs. LegaSea provides a point of connection to NZSFC Fisheries Advocacy inititiatives by connecting the public who are not members of clubs. Clubs support this work by paying $14/adult member to NZSFC as Affiliaton fees per annum.

We collectively opposed the Preset Decision Making rules and Consultation ammendment Sections of the act because they lacked detail, and given that CPUE is the most comonly used fisheries measurement by MPI, it was a safe assumption that CPUE would be one of if not the only decision making rule deployed. There are a number of issues with using CPUE, so the only logical thing to do was opposed the bill until more detail was included out what the rules actually would be. 

Secondly, the Bill talks about the rules being used to set Total Allowable Catch (TAC) and Total Allowable Commercial Catch, but nothing about the Recreational allowance. So one of two things could result from that scenario, eitehr recreational gets what's left or a preset proportion (known as proportional allocation which results in bag limits being redeuced as the population increases). Either way that wasn't a good outcome for rec fishers. So more detail is required to allay that risk. 

Finally, the only consultation required in the new amendments, was when the rules are first set, once there Decision making rules are in place, there is no further consultation until the decision making rules are reset. They are supposed to be in place for a fixed duration, but even that wasn't specificed in the Bill. So it couldn't be supported until we at least knew what durations would be set or not. 

There is no doubt MPI needs to be able to act quicker when Stocks like Crayfish, Tarakihi, and scallops etc. etc. etc. are in decline. But this wasn't the way to do do it. 
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 8:32am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks for clarifying that Bob
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 10:40am
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

lol-  I dont do facebook, so the only way to find out about Legasea or any group in NZ is to read this forum, the only group in NZ I see worth anything is the NZSFA , but its  only boat fishing , again mainly north island ...
Even 1/2 the clubs in NZ are not part of any organisation so how are people meant to find out -- 

Scuzzymoto, NZSFC and LegaSea are joined at the hip. LegaSea is owned by NZSFC and is the Council's Public outreach arm. What that means is that there are 600,000 fishers in NZ, and 37,000 of those are connected to NZSFC by being members of Affiliated clubs. LegaSea provides a point of connection to NZSFC Fisheries Advocacy inititiatives by connecting the public who are not members of clubs. Clubs support this work by paying $14/adult member to NZSFC as Affiliaton fees per annum.

We collectively opposed the Preset Decision Making rules and Consultation ammendment Sections of the act because they lacked detail, and given that CPUE is the most comonly used fisheries measurement by MPI, it was a safe assumption that CPUE would be one of if not the only decision making rule deployed. There are a number of issues with using CPUE, so the only logical thing to do was opposed the bill until more detail was included out what the rules actually would be. 

Secondly, the Bill talks about the rules being used to set Total Allowable Catch (TAC) and Total Allowable Commercial Catch, but nothing about the Recreational allowance. So one of two things could result from that scenario, eitehr recreational gets what's left or a preset proportion (known as proportional allocation which results in bag limits being redeuced as the population increases). Either way that wasn't a good outcome for rec fishers. So more detail is required to allay that risk. 

Finally, the only consultation required in the new amendments, was when the rules are first set, once there Decision making rules are in place, there is no further consultation until the decision making rules are reset. They are supposed to be in place for a fixed duration, but even that wasn't specificed in the Bill. So it could be supported until we at least knew what durations would be set or not. 

There is no doubt MPI needs to be able to act quicker when Stocks like Crayfish, Tarakihi, and scallops etc. etc. etc. are in decline. But this wasn't the way to do do it. 
Cheers for the info-  I know the history of Legasea and the NZSFC( was a member ), I remember when Legasea first started ... the point is NZSFC only represent a small fraction of the NZ rec anglers .. Those that are not part of a club or a club  involved with the NZSFC how are they ment to find out info as to whats going on .. 
People and Organisations forget  theres a large market out there for Landbased - I would say more people fish landbased than boat(except in the upper N.Island)- 

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 10:42am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty well everything they do is on their web site, and it's very easy to sign up for email notifications from them.  Easy to keep in the loop without going anywhere near Facebook if you want to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 6:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers for the info-  I know the history of Legasea and the NZSFC( was a member ), I remember when Legasea first started ... the point is NZSFC only represent a small fraction of the NZ rec anglers .. Those that are not part of a club or a club  involved with the NZSFC how are they ment to find out info as to whats going on .. 
People and Organisations forget  theres a large market out there for Landbased - I would say more people fish landbased than boat(except in the upper N.Island)- 

[/QUOTE]
Yep the land based fishers are represented there. The NZ Land Based Game Fishing Club Affiliated with NZSFC in 1992 and remains affiliated to this day, as do the Wellington Surf casting and angling club. A number of affilliated clubs have an active  land based fishing component of their membership. Then we have a partnership with the NZACA who support and have their name recorded on all NZSFC/LegaSea submissions. 

Joining an affiliated club or encouraging your unnaffiliated club to join NZSFC, or supporting LegaSea gives you a voice and keeps you connected to what's going on. 

An Alternative, is that MPI/Fisheries NZ have a database that anybody can register with that ensures all consultations are emailed to anybody who is registered. The exception being that members of that database did not get any advise about teh Fisheries Ammendment Bill. Then you can make your own submissions as you see fit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A little off topic but as I started out strictly landbased it does annoy me a little that rec fishing is so fixated on boat fishing. I have some (lots of) empathy here for Scuzzy. So much of our focus is on boat fishing but most of us got our start fishing off the hard stuff.  But yeah, I'm part of the problem, my reports are 90% boat based because that's what I do now.

As the very wise Kevin.S says it is easy to get updates if you want them.

For those who don't know Big Fish Bob has a lot of skin in this game. Tells us what you do Bob.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:08pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

A little off topic but as I started out strictly landbased it does annoy me a little that rec fishing is so fixated on boat fishing. I have some (lots of) empathy here for Scuzzy. So much of our focus is on boat fishing but most of us got our start fishing off the hard stuff.  But yeah, I'm part of the problem, my reports are 90% boat based because that's what I do now.

As the very wise Kevin.S says it is easy to get updates if you want them.

For those who don't know Big Fish Bob has a lot of skin in this game. Tells us what you do Bob.

Lol! As a mad keen Rock fisher, the NZ Land Based Game Fishing Club was the second club I ever belonged to, after having initially been a member of teh Whakatane Sportfishing club, before becoming a founding member of the Waikato Sport Fishing club 30 odd years ago. 

I'm currently coming to the end of my fourth year as NZSFC President.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 7:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's awesome, thanks BFB!
Page  <12