Fish finder / gps combos

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish finder / gps combos
    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 12:10pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey guys,
Mum and Dad are getting a new toy. New toys require new fancy electronic toys..
Looking at the garmin range for sounders just purely because seem to have the better maps.

Looking at 9inch screens and then the transducer debarcle kicks in..
Deepest Mum and Dad will ever actually require to spot fish would be 70m tops.
600w transducer required for that?

Any options and opinions welcomed.

Also how do them touch screens get on with wet hands from being in a wetsuit. Potentially an issue? Not that I need to fiddle with it..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 12:49pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We recently got a Lowrance HDS-7 Carbon at a very very good price because the new ones have just been launched. Does a bloody good job. For your purposes I will observe that the touchscreen freaks the hell out if it gets more than a bit of spray on it; the sensitivity is a lot lower than say, a modern smartphone, probably so that it doesn't do a loop-de-loop with a bit of moisture.

With regards to maps, whatever you get just make sure it does live charting. Lowrance calls it Sonarchart Live or Genesis Live (Navionics vs C-Map cards), can't quite remember what Garmin call it but they definitely support it. Within a couple of trips to your usual spots this turns a cruddy base map into a ridiculously high-definition bathymetric chart.

I haven't had the Lowrance out past about 32m yet but I'm sure 600w is plenty for it. I regularly fish from a boat running a Furuno with a 600w P66 and it's good out to a couple of hundred metres, don't expect to be able to see a fish eating your bait at those depths though.

Although I've only played with it a little bit I'm really liking the Lowrance's "Fish Reveal" thing, or more correctly DownScan overlay. This uses the 800khz bottom imaging, which gives fantastic seafloor/structure views (but is up to **** all for showing fish a lot of the time) and overlays it over the High Chirp (or whatever sounder mode you prefer) image of the water column, which is better at showing fish. Superb fish-locating abilities in the up-to-30m I've tried it in so far, and I feel like if I lower the frequencies it will keep working for a fair bit more depth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 1:00pm
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The echomap Plus 95CV, is 9" and comes factory with the GT52HW-TM transducer, I have this ducer on a GPSMAP 1222XSV in my 14 footer and have used it 100m+, not bad for a 250w transducer. If they want a little more, next up is the GT51 which is 600w and will go 2-400m.

Screenshot below in rough weather moving at 3.5kts. Not bad for 250w transducer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 11:04pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have recently brought a Garmin plus 95 but changed the transducer to a GT 51 for better depth penetration had it reading the bottom at 250m so far. Will read the bottom at speed no problems at 69km/hr also has side scan  and  chirp Very easy to use and the maps are great have not had to read the manual yet. Under $2000.00 great value for money Burnsco marine have some good deals on them.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 5:31am
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers for the input guys.
That map overlay stuff is rather amazing. I have asked the chaps at burnsco and boating and outdoors how the storage of the information for the extra contour lines works and none can provide an answer.
Im assuming the data is stored onto an sd card or something because Id imagine youd start to run out of storage space eventually??

Will do more homework on this after todays dive. Unless one of you geniuses know the answer.

At this stage we are thinking of getting the garmin 95sv with the transducer it comes with in the box (GT52) slap it on and see how it goes. Then if it doesnt cut the mustard flop the wallet out and grab the GT51.

Really good feedback and the lack of reading a manual sounds excellent for some older folks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 7:47am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the garmin charting is called quick draw. .the data is stored in a micro SD card , slot in the front of the unit.
I haven't used my quickdraw facility yet...must give it a go.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 10:59am
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yip Info is stored on a Micro card can also be networked to your phone to do updates. Through an app called Active Captain must be easy to do if I can work it out.
Burnsco swapped out my transducer to the GT51 and credited me for the GT 52 so only had two pay the difference in price for the better transducer about $300.00. So didnt end up with a transducer I didnt need. There is also a F/book page for Garmin users and there lots of helpful dudes on there.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 11:32am
Platinum
Platinum

Went down to burnsco. They indeed swapped out the transducer!
Gone with the echoMAP 95sv paired with the GT51. $2019 in total and got a 60 buck voucher from the burnsco card.

Happy days. Thanks for the input fellas.