Fish dinners

Page  <1234 22>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baitcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 1:23pm
baitcatcher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

How much longer in a vac pac thing does fish last? Never been big on freezing it. Gurnard/snapper/terries etc, always eaten fresh. Matt Watson way and 5 days in fridge, still good. But have frozen gem - smoked and pulled out 6 mth later for fish pie (couple weeks ago), just fine. Frozen a bit of BN and puka - because don't see them often. But eaten in a few weeks. So how long would you keep gurnard etc in vac pac?
Alan.

Hi Alan,thanks for your all interesting and informative post!!...(it's being great for my mental health,says the same guy that planted his favorite soft- bait rod & reel in his garden to use as a bean climber !!!!

I recommend get yourself a good quality vacuum packer,it pays to check the online review's,you won't regret it,I've even vac pac nuts as they last 5x longer .

I've given my Dad a keen fishman (born in Rotorua and 83years old, who taught me everything I know about allsorts of fishing, looking after your fish, cooking and smoking fish,I gave him some vacuum packed Snapper which I found at the bottom of my chest freezer,he cooked it and told me if it was only a few months old!!!....if think it was around 18months old.if you check out my post above,my method of vac pac works well for me.(don't get me wrong fresh fish like any other food is definitely best,(Maybe not a aged brandy...) but times like now it's not too bad,but the fish / Whitebait must be defrosted in a fridge over night and needs to be cooked slightly longer than you would your fresh fish.(I know if the fish is slightly over seasoned like any seafood no one would know the difference if it had been frozen or not.
My next vac pac machine is going to be a low cost commercial one if I make it out of this current situation....

Hope this info is helpful to you and my fellow fishos out their.
P.S I'm sure all the fish out there must be so hungry and on the bite for a nice silver/pink slow jig .....

Vinnie

Vac pac machine,cut to your size bags,
Whitebait and Sumdge's favorite skin on gurnard.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 1:29pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome - thanks.
Now I got a month to work out which one I buy. Next on the list.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 1:39pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah agree awesome info guys turned out not such a bad subject.

Have told wife to get salmon tomorrow. Don’t get that often in the Gulf.

Oh and few tins of pilchards!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 2:30pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You gonna vacuum pack pilchards?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote baitcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 2:57pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

You gonna vacuum pack pilchards?
Alan

Muppet post does say canned pilchards.

Fresh pilchards,gutted and scalled can be vac-pac [ sou-vide ] with EVOO ,a few drops of fish sauce, red onion,fresh bay leaves/soft herbs, capers berrys, seasonings 63°for 20minutes try this recipe when you get your vac pac machine,tastes so nice you will never use them for bait again.
Vinnie
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:21pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Muppet post does say canned pilchards"
Sorry - missed that. Didn't know they came in cans.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:49pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sardines..... pilchards? Not sure.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:52pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My fish dinner is tinned mackerel ( I hope it's mackerel) with chopped onions,a heap of.pepper and chilli. After that my sleeping place is the couch,Mrs doesn't care for the smell.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baitcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 4:56pm
Silver
Silver

No worries Alan.
when I was in the States a few years ago in a grocery store they had whole roast chickens in a large cans sounds quite good at the moment I think!? it had a tear tab at both ends,just pop out & your ready to go,
I think the shelf life was about 5years.
           How convenient!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:40pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sardines / pilchards are the same thing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 6:35pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When 1st tasted fresh mackerl, even tried pilchards, was the same thing.
 It was like comparing tinned spagetti to the real cooked thing.. would swear they where totally different meals.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baitcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 9:39pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

When 1st tasted fresh mackerl, even tried pilchards, was the same thing.
 It was like comparing tinned spagetti to the real cooked thing.. would swear they where totally different meals.

Your on to it Steps,good example!

Anchovies,Sardines,Pilchards, Herrings,Mackerel
they are very similar it's like same Mother different Father,
Can be prepared using the same recipes,different oil content though, just adjust cooking times.

Vinnie
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 3:47pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not bad eh last nights
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baitcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 4:05pm
Silver
Silver

Hey Muppet,
you got a nice colour on that Salmon skin.
Well done!
Vinnie
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 4:08pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wife cooked it and was crispy as. Ate it first.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 4:46pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow that looks good Muppet!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 6:08pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Marine Deals have the innovate vac pak discounted at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:01pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Marine Deals have the innovate vac pak discounted at the moment.

How do they get this to you?  Surely its not "essential"?

Just asking, since I have zero home brew supplies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:02pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I vac-pack snapper then freeze and it lasts for months.  Tastes as good as fresh when cooked (not so good when raw).  We've been having frozen fish a couple of meals a week and won't run out for a few weeks.  Trying lots of different recipes.  Pretty damn nice too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:16pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Someone might find this useful. I make fish fingers for my boy and freeze them without vac packing and they taste just fine. Snapper fillets cut in to small pieces then flour > egg wash > panko breadcrumbs.  Take care to freeze them separately on baking paper. It's the only fish I don't vac pack. I think the coating protects the fish. The adults in the house end up eating them too when we can't be bothered to prepare anything else!
Page  <1234 22>