First timer ever

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First timer ever
    Posted: 06 Feb 2024 at 6:59pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

fishing today for trout on Lake Okareka now i m hooked so fishing off a boat  tried spinners and just ledger rigs for trout, NOTHING.... please advise what i need to do...keen on trolling and just general bottom fishing 
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mc Tool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 1:23pm
Mc Tool View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Without knowing the area  it a bit hard to say but generally . Find a place that the water is out of the sun , that looks fishy  and then start trying different lures , give it 20 mins and if no luck   change to a different type of lure .... like if a black/gold toby doesnt work  try a veltec or jensen insect spinner. Try 4 or 5  lures  and if no luck then find a different spot  and start again . I live on the Aparima river and by this process I arrived at a  black/gray  7gm jensen insect spinner  and that pretty much my "go to " .
We  are allowed to use baits here   and the ole green lipped mussel is king  ( followed closely by prawns or salted squid  ). Now I know this aint that sporting  coz its damn near guaranteed  , so its handy if I have made rash promises of a trout dinner  to a neibough , or if I just want to know if there are fish there , aint so bad in a river coz I can see them  but could be handy on a lake .
 Soft baits are good too ...... and do add a bit of secret sauce  or some other stinky stuff .
 Go figure  4" nuclear chicken paddle tail works really well   which is weird    coz when did a trout ever see anything like that ..... or mussels .
perseverance Smile   
I wish I was young again .... Id be heaps smarter than this time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2024 at 5:55pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers will take that advise on board
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems