Firearms Reforms-Law abiding shooters need support

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:55pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just following Australia after the port Albert massacre.   Living in the snowy mountains oz.about 1982 to 1984. Went down to local cop shop paid $10 for a shooters licence brought a .22 off a farmer in the Woolpack $150 sold it back to him 2 yrs later.no registration only needed ID to buy rounds. So guess the rules really did need tightening up.Only time a weapon was registered was if you brought off a retailer but didn't have to do anything if sold privately.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 1:51pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone know if this new law now includes all semiauto centre fires or just the MSSA's? Latest news is suggesting all semis other than 22's and shotguns. Not as happy with that if true. Will there still be some form of E licence?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 3:06pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

From Stuff Tagit:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-shooting/111709387/guns-handed-in-by-end-of-september

The ban essentially covers all semi-automatics except for .22 rimfire firearms that cannot hold more than 10 rounds and semi-automatic shotguns that cannot hold more than five rounds. All MSSAs and other semi-automatics will be banned, along with any magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds, and any modification that can make a weapon semi-automatic or fully automatic.

The exemptions for .22s and shotguns are intended to allow for the legitimate use of firearms for pest-control.

I know plenty of duckshooter's that have more than 5 shot capacity mags and there must be a heap of (non MSSA) rifles out there that sit within the banned guns??

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 8:21pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 8:42pm
Grasshoppa View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anyone still think this post is a non event?

The Arms Amendment Bill is the first real step to really locking down/restricting all firearms
Is this a bad thing? Probably not if managed well
Is it an over reaction? Maybe not if it stopped at MSSA's

Its already advanced from proposing to ban MSSA's to looking like any centre fire semi auto, nearly all magazine fed semi auto centre fire's have aftermarket 5+ shot mag's available (in catalogs at least) that makes them "modified" by the Bills interpretation

There's been not so quiet whispers that suppressors will be in line not far down the track also
If you think it ends here you're as naive as some of the early comments on this post suggest

I would also suggest the lack of voice from most on this is more about not wanting to attract any unwanted attention than compliance, hence Jackel trying to motivate responsible firearm owners to be heard while they still can

Could be off the mark but thats my 2cents

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 8:56pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=CrayZfish]
From Stuff Tagit:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-shooting/111709387/guns-handed-in-by-end-of-september

The ban essentially covers all semi-automatics except for .22 rimfire firearms that cannot hold more than 10 rounds and semi-automatic shotguns that cannot hold more than five rounds. All MSSAs and other semi-automatics will be banned, along with any magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds, and any modification that can make a weapon semi-automatic or fully automatic.<p ="sics-component__-injector sics-component__story__paragraph"> The exemptions for .22s and shotguns are intended to allow for the legitimate use of firearms for pest-control.

I know plenty of duckshooter's that have more than 5 shot capacity mags and there must be a heap of (non MSSA) rifles out there that sit within the banned guns??

[/QUOTE

I read that and it didn't look like I thought we were expecting to get. Have no issue with limiting semi auto hunting weapons to 5 shots, and even putting them on an E licence, but not comvinced about banning them all. That wasn't how this was announced.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 11:23pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey guys, some interesting discussion here which is great. Yes it is correct its not just MSSA's it also includes older historic stuff like M1 Garands and firearms that were used to fight for freedom in wars gone by. Also, if you have rifle that has been passed down by older generations, has sentimental value having been passed down by a deceased relative sorry but that's going in the furnace too. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 11:26pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Grasshoppa Grasshoppa wrote:

Anyone still think this post is a non event?

The Arms Amendment Bill is the first real step to really locking down/restricting all firearms
Is this a bad thing? Probably not if managed well
Is it an over reaction? Maybe not if it stopped at MSSA's

Its already advanced from proposing to ban MSSA's to looking like any centre fire semi auto, nearly all magazine fed semi auto centre fire's have aftermarket 5+ shot mag's available (in catalogs at least) that makes them "modified" by the Bills interpretation

There's been not so quiet whispers that suppressors will be in line not far down the track also
If you think it ends here you're as naive as some of the early comments on this post suggest

I would also suggest the lack of voice from most on this is more about not wanting to attract any unwanted attention than compliance, hence Jackel trying to motivate responsible firearm owners to be heard while they still can

Could be off the mark but thats my 2cents

Thanks Grasshoppa, that's exactly what I'm trying to do-raise awareness before its too late. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 6:26pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 7:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I know so many people that now have illegal firearms. Some of those firearms are so far removed from MSSA's it's not funny, but they still lose them.No word on pistols yet? The people they are taking firearms from are not the problem. I'm pretty sure all the gangs, white supremists and other bad guys will hand their stuff in.I'm really sure about that Disapprove
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 7:33pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All for a register,But why was there not one in place already?? Correct Smudge if the police dont know you have it why would you hand it in??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 7:54pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I know so many people that now have illegal firearms. Some of those firearms are so far removed from MSSA's it's not funny, but they still lose them.No word on pistols yet? The people they are taking firearms from are not the problem. I'm pretty sure all the gangs, white supremists and other bad guys will hand their stuff in.I'm really sure about that Disapprove

Yeah I hear you Smudge, thats what Joe public dont realize (or even care about). I feel sorry for people who dont fish-shooting is their only pastime. And this is only phase one of the government changes. No clear information on compensation for rifles and parts either. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 7:59pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

PJC a register was in place years ago but it was abandoned, to be fair probably because it was paperbased I think and totally un-reliable. The law decided to register the people rather than the rifles. (Not sure exactly when the change over was, cant remember) The current E cat system requires recording of rifles serial number to a registered E cat rifle owner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Jackel, a workmate I went as referee for his E-Cat now has to hand in his unused AR15, possibly his CZ 9mm pistol and he has 500 rounds of .223 ammo. He took me to his pistol club and I saw a new side to him. Super responsible,  super happy with his place in the world and totally at peace. all he wants to do is competition and sports shooting. He is relatively new to NZ and the hobby he is so grateful for has been taken away. He is security plus oriented and I wouldn't have vouched for him otherwise. I feel real sorry for him and those in a similar situation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 7:37am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The paper based register was abandoned by the police as it was very time consuming and they decided that staff were better employed elsewhere, so they took the easy way out and it was a backward step.

Smudge is right on the button, the gangs have made it clear they will not conform to the new law and there are plenty of normally law abiding citizens who will take the same course as the gangs.

I personally have no mssa firearms, and see no need for them as a hunting piece, others like them, do law abiding citizens have no rights ?

Cheers

The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 8:23am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gangs make clear not conform to the law.. Really?
Withball due respect considering their track record in violence drugs fraud and to 100 others things, why would fire arms be any different?
And it has been the case anyway.

Registration that got dumped around the early mid 80s about the time my licence was to expire.. From memory it wasn't police but the budget required/treasury and NZ near bsnkrupt.. But more the political ideaolgy of the time user pays/market pressues/ and general deregulation of everything, and throw in the American lobbying of the time

The rushed legislation looks like it's doing OK..
High caliber semis for approved regist cullers
Consessions onhistoric collected guns without butchering them.
Consideration for completions.. Recognising the possible loop hole where gun club membership would allow any tom dick or Harry to own.
Note the gun man was a club member.

Most of the submissions and consideration where just re submissions of previous gun laws on record.

Still got reading and final vote to go.. Not doubt will still see some modification.
Mybe rushed but the core information has been on the books for yrs anyway and been thru readings before.
Where balls ups happen with rushed ledgistarion is new ledgistion that has not been thru the ringer the past and not had PM's on the same page due to political ambition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 6:30pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quote Steps-Consideration for completions.. Recognising the possible loop hole where gun club membership would allow any tom dick or Harry to own. 
Note the gun man was a club member. 

No, no sporting shooter consideration-Service Rifle-gone. 3 gun-all but gone. Farmers needing to hire in pest control contractors. 

So what if he was a club member, the onus isnt on the clubs to vet the individuals other than from a firearms safety point of view (on the range). It is the role of the government-to make law and it is the role of the police to enforce, not make those laws. 

The B Cat licencing is working well, because the pistols are registered like E Cat but B Cat holders are required to be present for a set number of shoots per annum. Surely, E Cat could have been retained but with these upgraded prerequisites? 

Clearly, multiple rounds of buy-backs hasnt worked in Australia!!

Watch this space Steps, its a balls up!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes Jackel you are right. Unfortunately 2.7 million fan boys beat 273000 responsible gun owners. Yes Australia nailed it alright, no shooting there especially last weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote mike_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 8:32pm
mike_e View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

After reading all the replies I think that all trailer boats over 5m should be now prohibited as it makes wholesale fish slaughter too easy not to mention they are unsafe as they go further. Govt will buy back said Items at a yet to be decided value but for now you can no longer use it...................................................................coming soon to a country near you.

If you can go home and pull a $100 bill out , and flush it down the toilet, and if that doesn't bother you, then go ahead and buy a boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 6:38pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

HaHa hand your weapons in and we will look after them,Yeah right.

www.nzherald.co.nz//nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12225566&ref=clavis

Police Minister Stuart Nash is demanding an explanation from police after 11 guns were stolen from a police station.

Police said Alan James Harris, 38, allegedly stole the firearms from the Palmerston North Police Station yesterday morning.

The guns were not police firearms but were being held as exhibits or had been handed in for destruction.

The embarrassing blunder occurred as gun owners are surrendering military-style semi-automatics (MSSAs) and assault rifles around the country as part of a Government buyback scheme which followed the Christchurch mosque shootings.

Page  <123>