Finding a leak in a glass hull

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding a leak in a glass hull
    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:56pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

SO I have a 5 meter Zodiac RIB with a fibreglass hull. There is a bung for the underfloor area and this area has been filled with water last 2 times I came back from fishing - I have had a look at the hull but cannot see any obvious damage. There are two spots of repair on the gel coat from the previous owner but still look intact. Any suggestions on how to find the leak? Thanks
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:10pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

possibly the bung itself?
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:50am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bung or bung housing would be where I’d start...after that it gets messy and more expensive
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 4:10am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Replace bung and bung housing.i presume it is the false bottom.inner and outer?could get vaccum on blow out on bung and use soapy water on outside of hull.2 person job though.shiuld see bubbles.maybe patches look good but under pressure are leaking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:54am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have a 15' tinny and last year came back a few times from a flat water trip and lots of water came out when the bung was removed, Turned out it was the bung fitting - didn't replace, just put lots of marine silicon around the outside and inside of the fitting. Has been fine since then. 
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 9:49am
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the answers guys, I did have a go at filling the compartment with water from a hose and then put the bung in to see if there was any leakage but it wasn't conclusive. I will look at some silicon around the bung or something similar and see if that makes a difference - PJC will try the soapy water if the bung test doesn't work....Cheers Scott
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 5:49am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have you looked in dark - bung in very bright torch/ focussed light inside hull someone outside look for pin holes thin areas particularly around bung and join area  with chambers?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 8:17am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Checked along the keel line especially bow area?.
Had this in my boat(not a rib) last year where I went from taking on a little to taking on a little bit more.
Left water in hull and got under to look. Wipe off any dribbles and watched to see if reformed. When I found it, it turned out to be a scratch that didn't appear to be all that deep but obviously deep enough. and being on the keel line had a little more water pressure.
Amazing how a tiny leak can generate a lot of water over a few hours
I see you've already flooded to check bung, but flood again with bow down to check its not forward
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 10:23am
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have heard of people adding a dye or food colouring to water and filling the boat up. Made it easier to see. Don't know if it would stain though?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 3:09pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The problem with filling it with water,I have found,is that pressure on hull is going out .seals the leak with the boat in water the pressure is pushing hull in,hence light pressure with air and soapy water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 8:36pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

The problem with filling it with water,I have found,is that pressure on hull is going out .seals the leak with the boat in water the pressure is pushing hull in,hence light pressure with air and soapy water.

I had a leak in my old Sea Nymph - ended up being the bung reciever ...ie everytime the bung went it it "pusherised" thus breaking the seal around the back of the receiver.

Way I found it was to put internal bung in and then put a bit of water inside the boat maybe 2/3inches deep. The hull bung is out. Then get wifey or someone to to get your compressor and stick the blower up her butt ( the boats, not the mrs) and hit the trigger. Bubbles will show up where your wee leak is, if its from inside to inside the hull.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 10:15pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Be very careful pressurising anything.
A couple of psi can cause damage
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 1:03pm
Silver
Silver

Yes. Not aiming for blowing up your boat. Just using your hand and get a small tiny amount of pressure shows up in bubbles.

I tried dyed water etc. but the bubbles were the easiest. You can water around testing spots etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 3:19pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, I looked at the bung and and sealed round the outer edge, as I was repairing it I could see there was movement around the edge so thought I had fixed it. Went fishing and it again filled with water. So filled it up with water when I was home (attached it to the car first). 
After 10 minutes, it finally started pouring out a long split in the upper part of the hull. I'm looking at this split thinking I could have a go at fixing it myself - looks simple enough to dry the split with a hair dryer or similar so water in removed from the split, fill with resin or similar glue, clamp it and then when dry sand any beads of glue? Has anyone had any experience with this kind of job? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:01pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by LBGer LBGer wrote:

Well, I looked at the bung and and sealed round the outer edge, as I was repairing it I could see there was movement around the edge so thought I had fixed it. Went fishing and it again filled with water. So filled it up with water when I was home (attached it to the car first). 
After 10 minutes, it finally started pouring out a long split in the upper part of the hull. I'm looking at this split thinking I could have a go at fixing it myself - looks simple enough to dry the split with a hair dryer or similar so water in removed from the split, fill with resin or similar glue, clamp it and then when dry sand any beads of glue? Has anyone had any experience with this kind of job? 

Your main issue is that is external and therefore the gel coat is compromised..its not impossible but is a harder job than say a repair inside that you could paint etc. Have you repaired fibre glass before?

You will be able to make it water tight easy enough - but to do the repair and make it look good is another story. Also it being on the "edge" will make it harder. I have done glass repairs and If it was me Id go to a pro, you'll be surprised they wont be as pricey as you expect.

good luck 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:02pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks, I may send a pic to a local repair company and see what kind of money it may cost first as I have never done a fibreglass fix before....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 4:27pm
Silver
Silver

Good idea!

Originally posted by LBGer LBGer wrote:

Thanks, I may send a pic to a local repair company and see what kind of money it may cost first as I have never done a fibreglass fix before....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 5:14pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

make an inquiry with BoatFix in Diana Drv, Glenfieldbefore you spend a heap of time trying to fix it yourself
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote offcut1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 8:54pm
offcut1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I’ve had the same damage in a Zodiac. I took it to a pro. First repair was as you suggest. Epoxy in the crack, clamped and then gel coat repair. It failed soon after. Second time around it was epoxy, screws, and an external layer of glass wrapped around, then gel coat. That did the trick. Pretty common damage apparently.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 8:54pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bounty hunter - hey funny you should say that, I did a Google search and they came up and I sent a query to Steve about a quote........
Page  12>